Freezes during play

Hey all!

I've been experiencing freezes anywhere between 1-20 minutes of gameplay. The game freeze and in task manager is "not responding", as in I can't enter the Skyrim window again after leaving it and thus much force end the "Skyrim.exe" task which then happens immediately. This happens on a new save with only the STEP mod + lighting (-EVLaS due to a shadow bug) and PP mods. It's seemingly random in location. It's been happening often while entering buildings (inns) but also just in the open world. It's obviously quite detrimental when it's so often. I've checked the VRAM usage, which is not the cause of the issue. I did install some other mods right after finishing my STEP installation, but I've disabled (not entirely removed though, but this shouldn't matter?) those in the mod list and ran new LOD/TexGen/DynDOLOD) generations, and used new saves. Once it's happened the first time on a new save, it seems to happen quicker if reloading it, ie. the first time I create the character and pick a "life" is by far the longest run (upwards the 20 mins), and in subsequent load of the same save game, the freeze will happen much quicker, within a couple of minutes. The only thing I can think off would be to start all over with STEP, but I would really like to avoid this, of course if that's the only way, that's the way things are :)

A second question with much lower priority, is there a way to increase the range at which npc are rendered? I feel like I'm within spotting distance of NPC's before they're rendered. This distance is the same will all rendered objects, but for NPC (counting critters and animals as well) it's just more noticeable. And would this be detrimental to fps?

I hope you great people can help with this issue! Ask any questions regarding info needed, I'm aware this is probably quite broad.

~Sincerely

Halde

Edited by Halde
elaboration