injectSMAA by Andrej Dudenhefner - Alternate AA

Holymartyr

1: I use ENB for my screen captures. I know other people use others, but I have not made any indepth investigations myself, since I am content with what I have.

2: All post processing depends on your taste, you can do many things visually when you know how to adjust the pixel shaders manually.

3: MSAA is the best, but has a high performance cost. If you absolutely cant stand jagged egdes, then 8x or 16x MSAA is the best. Unless you have a newer card that offers TXAA which is a combination of MSAA and some other AA filters. However at resolutions at 1080p and above the amount of aliasing effects gets less and less, and there SMAA is better because it does not have performance impact that MSAA does.

Ad.1 ENB, has built in ss capture feature? (https://enbdev.com/) Am I undestanding correctly?

Ad.2 I have got a lot of reading and learning along side STEP to make a decision what I want in the choosing of post processing application.

Ad.3 So, build in game anti-aliazing is a different process than SMAA/FXAA/MSAA that are post-processing filters?

My monitor resolution 1680x1050, and Vcard is Gigabyte Radeon HD7770 OC with 1GB GDDR5, so I have nothing fancy to use.

The game use a variation of MSAA, however it is inferior to the one applied by the drivers in terms of quality.

Also if you use MSAA you will not be able to use all the features of ENB if you wish you experiment with that. Will still work with just SweetFX however.

So I have installed Skyrim Performance Monitor, excellent program.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6491/?

And additionally to it standardised performance test: Skyrim Performance Monitor Testing Hall

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30187//?

And checked my baseline computer performance in skyrim on automatic optimal game's graphical settings - ultra.

And basically I'm now sure that my rig sucks. I'm running on the bethesda hi-res resolution pack.

At first I ran basic performance test:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_4kJRACJ1z7c094RHgyb05ZcXM/edit?usp=sharing

And get smooth 60 fps in empty areas, and around 30 in a fights with multiple enemies. But my V-RAM in occupied location is used in 95% almost all the time in effect there is little to no room for improvement of graphical quality of game without compromising the relative smoothness of its gameplay.

Interesting enough extreme test in outdoor location crushed the game while loading final location with 100 NPCs, and stutter almost all the time, so it's definitely not on my rig.

I run the basic test also with injectSMAA and game's AA disabled, and performance-wise there was no difference, no stutters, as I described/showed earlier SMAA gives me a slightly smoother edges than game's AAx8, so it's a plus. Unfortunately SPM cannot record fps while post processing is on so in the second SS you can see fps rate at 0. But I assure you the smoothness was unchanged.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_4kJRACJ1z7M3U2VUNDXzEtUW8/edit?usp=sharing

Now while implementing STEP I will have to focus on the performance only graphical options. Still I hope I'd be able to implement one of the ENBs to see and feel some of these incredible effects they have to offer.

Comment please, every feedback is most welcome.

Not a AA technophile, but here is my 2 cents, I use the TemporalAA in Boris's ENBSeries which works wonderfully. There is a little blur if you look at the ground when moving (why would you do this in-game?), but its pretty amazing. It does take some your machine's power though.

The EdgeAA is pretty amazing for performance (doesn't affect performance at all on my machine), but then again, its pretty darn weak and barely fixes them "horizontal" wood fences in towns. I haven't compared this to SMAA though.

Got any recommendations for transparency AA? I am having real problems with that and can't seem to get Supersampling or any other style of AA to smooth it out. Even the loading screen images flutter at me (where there's supposed to be transparent aliasing anyway) like it's disco time.

This never used to happen. After my first SR install I thought it was a mod. Disabled and reinstalled the game and didn't fix so I figured some weird voodoo going on between launcher settings and my card. No joy there either. Have now been up and down these forums, all over the internet, and to the very depths of acronyms I no longer understand (all I see are Ms and As and Ss). One setting one place seems to clash with another setting somewhere else. It's a lot like I imagine doing alchemy was back in 1542 or so.

As far as I am aware, supersampling should techincally smoothen out all aliasing as it takes 100% of the 3d screen (i.e. the 'sample'). Have you tried SSAA higher than 2x? Make sure btransparencysomething=1(forgot the correct term) as well as imultisample=4.

Use Skyrim Configurator to ensure you got the settings right.