Question About Bethini Tweaks

Elrildra

Hello. I have more than one question, actually.

I'm not sure if I want to follow the guide or not. Many of the mods are not to my taste. However, I was thinking that the Bethini tweaks the guide recommends might be worth it no matter which direction I take with my game. Mostly, I tend to use mesh and texture mods: things like armor, hair, custom skin, landscape textures, etc. In short, I have to turn every game I play into the Sims, lol. I don't bother with a lot of gameplay mods. Given that it's mostly meshes and textures that I'm using, would doing the Bethini tweaks break my game? Or have no effect at all? I have NO IDEA what anything means in the ini files. 

The other questions I had is about making billboards. Does the game require just one billboard for the trees and textures or can/does it utilize more than one? If a tree mod and a landscape texture mod came with its own billboard, would that be acceptable? I don't know how the billboard system works with the game and the idea of making my own billboards is awfully intimidating. I am such an incredible noob; it's embarrassing. Can anyone explain how the billboard system works in Skyrim SE? I thank thee in advance :)

14 hours ago, Elrildra said:

Hello. I have more than one question, actually.

I'm not sure if I want to follow the guide or not. Many of the mods are not to my taste. However, I was thinking that the Bethini tweaks the guide recommends might be worth it no matter which direction I take with my game. Mostly, I tend to use mesh and texture mods: things like armor, hair, custom skin, landscape textures, etc. In short, I have to turn every game I play into the Sims, lol. I don't bother with a lot of gameplay mods. Given that it's mostly meshes and textures that I'm using, would doing the Bethini tweaks break my game? Or have no effect at all? I have NO IDEA what anything means in the ini files. 

The other questions I had is about making billboards. Does the game require just one billboard for the trees and textures or can/does it utilize more than one? If a tree mod and a landscape texture mod came with its own billboard, would that be acceptable? I don't know how the billboard system works with the game and the idea of making my own billboards is awfully intimidating. I am such an incredible noob; it's embarrassing. Can anyone explain how the billboard system works in Skyrim SE? I thank thee in advance :)

You can use the BethINI settings in our dev guide as a baseline. I recommend following the guide in total, but just skip mods you don't want. Once you are running properly, you can begin adding in any mods you prefer.

To better understand the LOD system and billboards, download and read the DynDOLOD doc. It's complicated, but billboards are just 2D textures used by the LOD atlas to render flat trees in distance. This is default game behavior. DynDOLOD allows use of tree models on the atlas, hence "3D Ultra Trees", or rendered trees on the atlas instead of (or in combination with) billboards.

See our WIP guide for current recommended INI settings, system setup, mod install order, and final configuration. We don't support this guide yet, but it has updated recommendations for BethINI and other things. You can also follow our current SE guide for a supported version.

Basically, your really should follow one of these guides, as it will help you understand the basics that you need to understand what you are trying to understand.