LOD tree brightness

elenhil

Question

Yes, it's that kind of thread again :)

I wanted to make sure that what I'm getting with a STEP+ setup is what it should look like.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2312407736

It looks to me that the snowy fir-trees on the left (up on the Throat of the World above my character's head) are far brighter than they should be. That is, the seemingly same model look OK against the snow background on the right side, but against the bare slopes it looks out of place.

Is that me, or is it the limitation of the game's engine or something?

8 answers to this question

Assuming your using 3D Trees, you can install the Alt Branch textures from EVT and just choose the Darker Snowy / Light Snowy options. This will install slightly darker textures for those snowy trees, which will give a darker LOD.

Well, the result is only marginally better. Especially since this alt texture doesn't seem to affect snowy tree trunks. The branches look darker, but the white trunk against the dark background looks just as out of place. Might I suggest including a darker alt trunk texture, too? Especially if it's even darker closer to the ground.

Well, the result is only marginally better. Especially since this alt texture doesn't seem to affect snowy tree trunks. The branches look darker, but the white trunk against the dark background looks just as out of place. Might I suggest including a darker alt trunk texture, too? Especially if it's even darker closer to the ground.

Unfortunately, I'm retiring from EVT after the last update. The mod is simply too much work for my tastes due to the numerous options. One small change can cause a cascade of updates to other files to ensure everything matches up and even though I tested the last update for 5 hours with various options there was still at least one thing I missed due to the sheer size of the mod...not my cup of tea.

You can try to turn down the brightness when generating. I'm not sure this will affect the trunks or not with 3D trees, but it's worth a try.