Wrye Bash doesn't start and i'm not sure where to start.

G0ds4vethep1ms

Question

Hello,
The last week i start back a new game and character in Skyrim, but this time i wanted to try the special edition. Especially since Skse64 is working well.
After playing, modding alone and multiple CTD, FPS Drop, etc ...(the usual stuff)
I decided to follow multiple guide to have something who work properly.
When i launch Wrye Bash by himself or MO, it doesn't work. When i open the log i see this:

" Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 89, in <module>
  File "bash\bash.pyo", line 223, in main
  File "bash\bash.pyo", line 55, in _import_bolt
  File "bash\bash.pyo", line 192, in dump_environment
NameError: global name '_' is not defined "

After several research i found nothing about it.

As suggested in the Wrye Bash Github, it might be the UAC but i'm not sure. So i tried to change the location of Wrye Bash even if he is not in the Program Files "C:\Users\myname\Desktop\Modding Tool\Mopy". Install it in the Local Disk D instead of C. Reinstall it Manually or with MO. Change the location of my SSE in My Games instead of the Steam File.
I'm on Windows 10, i'm the administrator so restriction shouldn't be a issue.
I try to run Wrye bash with and without any mods in MO.

10 answers to this question

Unlikely to be UAC, since you've installed it in a non-system folder. The only thing I can think of off the bat is the possibility of a bad download... when you did your WB re-installs, did you do them from the same original download or did you re-download it for each attempt?

Second, you mentioned that you changed the install location of SSE... where is Steam actually installed? If Steam is under the Program Files folders, then UAC may be causing an issue there as well, though I don't know why it would be a problem for WB at this point.

As much as it's going to kind of hurt, I'd recommend (on the off chance that this is the problem) installing SSE (and even Steam itself) somewhere OTHER than in the Program Files area - it is UAC protected, and that makes for all kinds of odd interactions.

A couple of other points that may come into play with Windows 10...

Open Explorer, right click on ModOrganizer.exe, and click Properties. If you see an Unblock button or Unblock checkbox, click it to unblock the executable and click OK to close the dialog. If you don't do this, Windows 10 will not prevent Mod Organizer's virtual file system from working. Do the same thing for Wrye Bash.exe to unblock it as well. If you still have issue, you might temporarily disable any antivirus software to see if it is interfering.

Nah... I think you had it pretty much well in hand. I just threw those extra pieces of information in just in case they may help and because it's all too common today.

It's rather unfortunate that most of these issues boil down to UAC by installing stuff in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x84), Windows 10's overly aggressive UAC controls, or antivirus software's overly aggressive lunacy. I know some of us have been lulled into the days of downloading a ZIP file, extracting it somewhere, and running it with no issues. Windows 10 changed that game. If ModOrganizer.exe is blocked by Windows, the virtual file system flat won't work. I don't have Windows 10 so I don't know how far Microsoft has taken this.

Some antivirus software is also getting really aggressive by treating the virtual file system as rogue malware. I don't remember which package, but one poor user found his antivrus software was deleting usvfs*.dll without notification every time he tried to play the game.

Some report they have a version of Windows 10 that causes this to appear. Some also say they have practically the same version but with Windows updates. I'd give more specifics but it is unclear why the error shows up at all and from the comments from other Wrye Bash users, it seems like using Windows 10 1803 is your best option. Then also you can use the version development version linked in the pinned post.

Edited by Sharlikran

"It's rather unfortunate that most of these issues boil down to UAC by installing stuff in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x84), Windows 10's overly aggressive UAC controls, or antivirus software's overly aggressive lunacy. I know some of us have been lulled into the days of downloading a ZIP file, extracting it somewhere, and running it with no issues. Windows 10 changed that game. If ModOrganizer.exe is blocked by Windows, the virtual file system flat won't work. I don't have Windows 10 so I don't know how far Microsoft has taken this.

Some antivirus software is also getting really aggressive by treating the virtual file system as rogue malware. I don't remember which package, but one poor user found his antivrus software was deleting usvfs*.dll without notification every time he tried to play the game."

--------

Hello 

I have a similar issue with starting the Wryebash out of ModOrganizer in Windows 10. - (Game Skyrim)

1. I remove old installations and reinstalled completely 

2. If I start the WB directly from the folder it works fine, obviously you wont see the mods installed through MOD organaizer

Applied the following steps.

1.  Deactivated Avast AV

2.  Unblock button or Unblock checkbox during WB startup

3. Applided these suggestions https://windowsreport.com/action-cannot-be-completed-because-file-open-another-program/

Rebooted the system but I am still having the issue that wryebash doesnt start in MO2

I don't know what when you mean when you say "Unblock button or Unblock checkbox during WB startup"? When you run Wrye Bash from Mod Organizer, Mod Organizer should show a dialog saying it's locked while Wrye Bash is running. Do not unlock this dialog why Wrye Bash is running.

Unblock refers to using Windows Explorer, right click on a file, and click Properties. If you see an Unblock button or Unblock checkbox in the Properties dialog for any *.exe or *.dll file in the Mod Organizer folder, you should click it and click OK to unblock the files. Windows 10 may prevent from the virtual file system from working if any of these files are blocked.