Getting Wrye Bash To Run

Stryfe

Question

So I posted this over on the Wrye Bash thread but since most of them don't actually use MO2 (instead opting purely for WB), they directed me over here.

Anyway, what happens is that whenever I attempt to start Wrye Bash standalone (306 or the new 307 beta 1) from within MO2 (both 2.0.7 and 2.0.8.1), it instantly crashes.

The MO2 log says the following:

13:26:55     F:\ModOrganizer Instances\Fallout 4\profiles\Default\initweaks.ini saved

13:26:55     F:\ModOrganizer Instances\Fallout 4\profiles\Default\lockedorder.txt saved
13:26:59     Failed to get process exit code: Error  5
13:26:59     F:\ModOrganizer Instances\Fallout 4\profiles\Default\lockedorder.txt saved

The Wrye Bash log ("Wrye Bash.exe.log") reads:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 87, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name bash

Anyone seen this before or have a workaround?  I'd like to get this running as merging oodles of records in xEdit is not all that appealing.

Ok looks like i can't run wyre bash at all from inside MO2 

Wrye Bash starting
Using Wrye Bash Version 307.201612302300 (Standalone)
OS info: Windows-10-10.0.14393
Python version: 2.7.12
wxPython version: 2.8.12.1 (msw-unicode)
input encoding: None; output encoding: None; locale: ('en_ZA', 'cp1252')
filesystem encoding: mbcs 
Searching for game to manage:
bush.pyo   71 _supportedGames: Detected the following supported games via Windows Registry:
bush.pyo   73 _supportedGames:  skyrim: F:\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Legendary Edition
bush.pyo   73 _supportedGames:  skyrim special edition: F:\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Special Edition
bush.pyo   73 _supportedGames:  fallout4: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4
bush.pyo  131 _detectGames: Detecting games via the -o argument, bash.ini and relative path:
bush.pyo  141 _detectGames: No known game in parent directory of Mopy: F:\Mopy
bush.pyo  172 setGame: No preferred game specified.
bush.pyo  131 _detectGames: Detecting games via the -o argument, bash.ini and relative path:
bush.pyo  141 _detectGames: No known game in parent directory of Mopy: F:\Mopy
bush.pyo  152 __setGame: Specified game "skyrim special edition" was found: F:\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Special Edition
testing UAC
mods_metadata.pyo  224 __init__: Using LOOT API version: 0.10.2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 88, in <module>
  File "bash\bash.pyo", line 439, in main
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 4032, in Init
  File "bash\basher\__init__.pyo", line 4070, in InitData
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 3884, in refresh
  File "bash\bosh\__init__.pyo", line 2430, in _names
  File "bash\bolt.pyo", line 795, in list
WindowsError: [Error 123] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: u'F:\\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Special Edition\\Data\\*.*'

Though i think this is issue i'm seeing is related to https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer/issues/2 (MO 2.08.1 update - CreateProcessW remove quotes from command line)

I'm currently using the latest 307 version of WB but I just tested all the compatible games with v306 and it too works flawlessly, I can only surmise that the settings you are using are different to mine.

Though looking at @Stryfe's files they look like a similar setup to mine so I'm not sure.

I'm on Windows10 Anniversary edition running as a user with no admin rights and all my tools are under a non-UAC folder structure. My Steam location is likewise on a dedicated drive, D:, and not under UAC issues.

Only using Windows Defender as my AV and I have not had to add anything as an exception.

@GrantSP, would you mind posting your MO2 ini here for comparison?

I'm using Comodo AV/FW with exceptions added for WB, MO2, F4SE, FO 4, etc.  I use an account with admin access, and aside from my FO4 folder, which is in the default Steam library, nothing is in a UAC-controlled directory.

Aside from the fact I don't have Fallout 4, which is what your INI is currently geared for, mine is almost identical to yours. The only thing I see in yours is Fallout 4 is in a UAC folder.

I have never viewed running MO/MO2, and any tools called from it, as admin as a good idea. The problem that brings is when you call one tool with that access and then another lacks it and permissions become a problem. Whenever mod authors call for running as admin I invariably try without it first to see if issues arise. The only time I can recall I had to do so was with the new FNV 4Gb patch.

Aside from the fact I don't have Fallout 4, which is what your INI is currently geared for, mine is almost identical to yours. The only thing I see in yours is Fallout 4 is in a UAC folder.

I have never viewed running MO/MO2, and any tools called from it, as admin as a good idea. The problem that brings is when you call one tool with that access and then another lacks it and permissions become a problem. Whenever mod authors call for running as admin I invariably try without it first to see if issues arise. The only time I can recall I had to do so was with the new FNV 4Gb patch.

Fair enough.  You're right in that I *should* be running a non-elevated account by default, but I've been lazy this go-around.  I'll probably switch over the next time I have to reinstall Windows.  Anyway, I do use this setup with MO and WB for Skyrim (non-SE) and it works fine.

One more thing, do you have any spaces in your paths, @GrantSP?

Fair enough.  You're right in that I *should* be running a non-elevated account by default, but I've been lazy this go-around.  I'll probably switch over the next time I have to reinstall Windows.  Anyway, I do use this setup with MO and WB for Skyrim (non-SE) and it works fine.

One more thing, do you have any spaces in your paths, @GrantSP?

No. However since the code that handles the paths will be using Windows base functions I don't think that will make a change.

The only time spaces should be a concern is when you are adding arguments to the commandline, then you'll need to enclose them in quotations.

I got this to run though the output file still goes to the data folder. 

The issue was with the profiles on my system. Though I'm finding it hard to find time for this.

Having the 'bashed patch' end up in the data folder is not an issue. If the blank template was there in the first place MO is just obeying the rule. If there was no template and WB created one for you then you are one up on me, I always have to have a blank template first, as I believe all other users do.