FNIS and Mod Organizer 2.1.3

OlePhart

Question

Is anyone having problems with MO 2.1.3? I am getting this error when I try to run FNIS

ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs'.

If anyone knows what is causing this or if there is a fix or work around. It does not happen In MO 2.1.2

14 answers to this question

I don't know how you have Mod Organizer and FNIS configured, so these are general recommendations/requirements. Mod Organizer must not be installed in the Steam or game folder or you may run into a folder recursion issue with UVFS. When you install FNIS in Mod Organizer, right click on Overwrite and select All Mods / Create Empty Mod. Name this mod something like FNIS_Output and make sure it's unchecked -- this FNIS_Output mod must not be active (checked) when you run GenerateFNISForUsers. Double click the FNIS mod, go to the Filetree tab, rename FNIS.ini0 to FNIS.ini, and click Close. Double click the FNIS mod again and go to the INI Files tab. You should see FNIS.ini listed here so select it and find this line:

'RedirectFiles=D:\___FNIS_Redirect

Remove the ' at the beginning of the line and change the path to the full path of the FNIS Outut mod, click Save, and click Close. The result should be something like this:

RedirectFiles=C:\ModOrganizer\mods\FNIS_Output

This instructs GenerateFNISForUsers to store all generated files directly into the FNIS_Output mod and it must be unchecked when you run GenerateFNISForUsers so UVFS does not interfere with the process.

Finally run GenerateFNISForUsers from Mod Organizer. Assuming it runs successfully and generates all of the animation files without any errors, close GenerateFNISForUsers and check (activate) the FNIS_Output mod.

The directions above have not fixed this issue on my PC. I am running MO2 v2.1.3, revision 886fb10.

MO2 is installed in C:\Games, as suggested, as is Steam and Skyrim. MO2 is in a separate directory branch.

Following the video instructions to move from MO to MO2, I copied downloads, mods, overwrite, profiles and webcache into a new directory, C:\Games\MO2_working, and set this as the MO2 Base Directory.

Under MO, I was very familiar with running earlier versions of FNIS and then copying the tools and scripts directories from Overwrite to a dummy mod, FNIS_Output, for that profile.

But when I switched to MO2 and to FNIS 7.4.5, this all stopped working. The first run of FNIS seems to go fine but when I try to use the dummy mod, I get the path error. So I clear out the dummy mod, create the FNIS.ini as directed,

I rename to create FNIS.ini, un-comment the RedirectFiles line and set it to point to the dummy mod:

RedirectFiles=C:\Games\MO2_working\mods\FNIS_Output

When I run FNIS the next time, I get the same first run results, but even though the FNIS.ini line shows the redirect should go to the FNIS_Output dummy mod, they don't.

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   6/27/2018 8:07:32 PM
Skyrim 32bit: 1.9.32.0 - C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS (242 bones)   male: XPMS (242 bones)
FNIS.ini RedirectFiles=C:\Games\MO2_working\mods\FNIS_Output
Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations" 
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix" 

Reading FNISBase V7.4.5 ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files...
No GENDER directory male
No GENDER directory female
Alternate Animation mods: 0 sets: 0 total groups: 0 added file slots: 0 alternate files: 0

Creature Pack not installed

0 animations for 1 mods successfully included (character)

They show up right in the Overwrite section, as usual.

If I copy the tools and scripts directories into FNIS_Output and then run FNIS again, I see the GENDER and SKELETON patches checked, but when I run Update I get:

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   6/27/2018 8:12:00 PM

ERROR(53): Could not find file 'temporary_logs\Skeleton.xml'.

So the main problem seems to be that the redirect isn't working. I even tried changing the directory and mod names to remove spaces (the first several times through the main was "MO2 Working" and "FNIS Output", I replaced the spaces with underscores, reconfigured the base directory and executable definition to point at the new directory, updated the FNIS.ini to point at the new mod name, etc. No change.

What's odd is that FNIS seems to simultaneously have and not have the skeleton.xml. It says it can't find it, but when I exit FNIS, there it is in the Overwrite section again. If I copy it back into the FNIS_Output mod, it puts it into the temporary_logs directory, but run FNIS and it removes it and says it can't find it again.

Did you uncheck the FNIS_Output mod in the left pane before you ran GenerateFNISForUsers? If you skip this step, the UVFS virtual file system hijacks the files created by GenerateFNISForUsers and stuffs them in the overwrite folder. The reason this approach is recommended is because AL12 says GenerateFNISForUsers may overwrite files in the original mods if FNIS is writing through the virtual file system.

Unfortunately, this workaround is not perfect because I can't get GenerateFNISForUsers to detect animations if I have the FNIS Creature Pack installed. It works fine with the base animations and XPMSE installed. If I throw FNIS Creature Pack into the mix, the only way I can get GenerateFNISForUser to detect and build all the animations is to let it generate the files into the Overwrite folder. I wonder if you're running into the same issue since the last line is "0 animations for 1 mods successfully included (character)". I've been wanting to discuss this more thoroughly with AL12, but we've both been extremely busy and I haven't caught him online.

Tried again to be sure. Removed FNIS_Output, recreated as an empty mod, made sure it was unchecked and the FNIS.ini pointed at FNIS_Output. I checked GENDER, SKELETON and MO redirect patches this time the first time and ran. It seemed to work from the output listed:

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   6/28/2018 8:27:03 PM

Patch: "File Redirection (Vortex/MO profiles support)" 

No GENDER directory male
Alternate Animation mods: 0 sets: 0 total groups: 0 added file slots: 0 alternate files: 0

0 animations for 1 mods successfully included (character)
Generated files redirected to C:\Games\MO2_working\mods\FNIS_Output

When I exit FNIS I find something interesting. In the FNIS_Output, 'meshes' and 'scripts' directories have been populated. So the redirect is partially working. 

But the 'tools' directory is still ending up in the Overwrite section. And that is where the skeleton.xml is, in the temporary_logs directory. So I copy the tools directory in (btw, seems like a bug that if I browse the file structure, then try to drag and drop, it doesn't work). Check FNIS_Output and try running FNIS. I pull up the FNIS_Output directory on file explorer and confirm both skeleton files are present (xml, hkx). As soon as I click Update, they disappear. FNIS removes them and then says it can't find them.

Maybe the temporary_logs directory is not being mapped correctly? I know the tools directory is because the DontAskAgainForLink.txt file works fine. Though that doesn't explain why the skeleton files are both removed. My first guess is that it is trying to recreate them; something I would expect to happen to things in a temporary_logs directory.

Okay, this is getting interesting. If I delete just the temporary_logs directory out of tools, and copy the rest into the FNIS_Output, FNIS runs, mostly:

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   6/28/2018 9:07:49 PM

Reading FNISSpells V5.0.1  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 9 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...

No GENDER directory male

94 animations for 2 mods successfully included (character)
Generated files redirected to C:\Games\MO2_working\mods\FNIS_Output

ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\FNISmodList.txt'.

Oh, which is followed by a  Windows error when I try to exit:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\MyPatches.txt'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
   at GenerateFNISforUsers.FNIScommon1.FNIScommon.WriteAFile(String FileName, String[]& StringArray, Int32 Elements)
   at GenerateFNISforUsers.GenerateFNISUsers.Store_Patches()
   at GenerateFNISforUsers.GenerateFNISUsers.Button3_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3110.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
GenerateFNISforUsers
    Assembly Version: 7.4.5.0
    Win32 Version: 7.4.5.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/data/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users/GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3110.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.ServiceProcess
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

If I run everything over again, but just delete the skeleton.xml file from tools before copying it into FNIS_Output, I get a different error:

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   6/28/2018 9:19:21 PM

ERROR(57): The process cannot access the file 'GenerateFNIS_LogFile.txt' because it is being used by another process.

Also, FNIS clears out the FNIS_Output file.

As silly or stupid as this may sound, try it this way. Reinstall FNIS once more (just to ensure none of the files have been overwritten or deleted). Create the empty FNIS_Output mod and empty Overwrite. Edit the FNIS.ini file again and set the RedirectFiles option. Now open Modify Executables (the cog button at the top), select GenerateFNISForUsers (or whatever you named it), check "Create Files in Mod instead of Overwrite", select the FNIS_Output mod, and click Modify to save the changes. Uncheck the FNIS_Output mod and run GenerateFNISForUsers. Yes, this is basically a double redirect so Mod Organizer traps anything FNIS is writing to Overwrite to force it into the FNIS_Output mod folder.

This is how I configured it in in my last STEP install since I wanted to test the guide the Mod Organizer 2 and I had completely forgotten about it until I poked around in Mod Organizer tonight. The one caveat is my frail memory seems to think I unchecked FNIS_Output before I ran GenerateFNISForUsers but I could be mistaken.

Okay, removed FNIS, " Spells, Creature Pack and FNIS_Output. Re-installed the first three, and created a new empty mod named FNIS_Output. Renamed FNIS.ini0 to to FNIS.ini, edited the redirect line and saved.

Set FNIS executable to direct files to FNIS_Output.

Ran FNIS - error - FNIS_Output is not active. Activated (checked) FNIS_Output.

Ran FNIS, de-installed creatures, set GENDER, SKELETON, and redirect patches and ran Update -

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   6/30/2018 1:35:25 PM

ERROR(57): The process cannot access the file 'GenerateFNIS_LogFile.txt' because it is being used by another process.

A better workaround seems to be to run FNIS with FNIS_Output disabled, copy the tools folder in from Overwrite afterwards, then enable FNIS_Output when running SKSE.

In fact, to be able to use profiles again, I'm thinking of dropping the redirect from the ini file and manually moving the output files from Overwrite to the output mod for that profile. Since I have to move files anyway, is using the redirect giving any benefit?

I'm asking myself the same thing because it looks as if the RedirectFiles option isn't quite working as intended. I think you're basically saying to run GenerateFNISForUsers exactly the same way we used to do it with MO1 and let it write everything to Overwrite? I can say doing it the old way works the most reliably and I think I'll just stick with this for now.

I want to discuss with AL12 on discord when he's available to see if he has more information because in our last discussion (before we got tied up with work), he stated that not using the RedirectFiles option can be dangerous because it may overwrite files in other mods. I can see how this may happen, but it does see something is broken somewhere since it doesn't work reliably.