Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

Over the course of the last two or three rebuilds, I've started running into a small issue that I wanted to bring up. This is based entirely on my own experiences with the tools and so may have incorrect information or assumptions built it - as always, feel free to correct me.

Like many others, I have a small (maybe ten) number of mods that are not a part of the main guide. What I've been noticing is that, as the guide has gotten larger, even with all the merging we are doing, we still are sitting very close to the 255 limit. SSEEdit and Wrye Bash have some measures built in that prevent more than 255 files (regardless of ESL designation, as far as I can tell), which also means I've had to do file shuffles at the pre-smash point... turning off mods I know won't be part of that merge, doing the merge, turning them back on, LOOT sorting them back in, then moving Pre-Smash back to the bottom, etc. Keep in mind that this is true even though I have at least two mods from the guide I don't use at all (Lock Overhaul and the Keep it Clean group).

I say all this not as a complaint - it's simply part of the limitations we are working with. My question/comment then is this - there have been a lot of mod suggestions for addition to the guide of late. Some of them, like MCM menus, are obviously worth doing - but I wonder at what point you say that nothing more can be added? Because we all have some personal tastes and want the ability to add a few things in that aren't in the guide, if we push this to the point where there isn't really any room for that, I think that it will have gone too far. It's still workable now, so long as you aren't adding too much in, but doing file shuffles like that... I'm not sure if it's going to create problems or not for the game when it runs.

Regardless, the guide is a wonderful thing - lots of stuff there I wouldn't have considered otherwise. There are some things I would remove (Follower mods, I'm looking at you...) but overall it's simply amazing. Even so, I wonder if we aren't 'modding ourselves into a corner' with the sheer number of mods at this point.

Bear in mind that a lot of the 'slots' are technically esl files, so you just uncheck those temporarily when loading e.g. SSEEdit and it will proceed as fine.  The most recent 'fixed BSA' version of the Unofficial sound/music mod weighs in at 7 esl files, for example.

Edited by Baubledorst

Over the course of the last two or three rebuilds, I've started running into a small issue that I wanted to bring up. This is based entirely on my own experiences with the tools and so may have incorrect information or assumptions built it - as always, feel free to correct me.

Like many others, I have a small (maybe ten) number of mods that are not a part of the main guide. What I've been noticing is that, as the guide has gotten larger, even with all the merging we are doing, we still are sitting very close to the 255 limit. SSEEdit and Wrye Bash have some measures built in that prevent more than 255 files (regardless of ESL designation, as far as I can tell), which also means I've had to do file shuffles at the pre-smash point... turning off mods I know won't be part of that merge, doing the merge, turning them back on, LOOT sorting them back in, then moving Pre-Smash back to the bottom, etc. Keep in mind that this is true even though I have at least two mods from the guide I don't use at all (Lock Overhaul and the Keep it Clean group).

I say all this not as a complaint - it's simply part of the limitations we are working with. My question/comment then is this - there have been a lot of mod suggestions for addition to the guide of late. Some of them, like MCM menus, are obviously worth doing - but I wonder at what point you say that nothing more can be added? Because we all have some personal tastes and want the ability to add a few things in that aren't in the guide, if we push this to the point where there isn't really any room for that, I think that it will have gone too far. It's still workable now, so long as you aren't adding too much in, but doing file shuffles like that... I'm not sure if it's going to create problems or not for the game when it runs.

Regardless, the guide is a wonderful thing - lots of stuff there I wouldn't have considered otherwise. There are some things I would remove (Follower mods, I'm looking at you...) but overall it's simply amazing. Even so, I wonder if we aren't 'modding ourselves into a corner' with the sheer number of mods at this point.

Well, I will say one thing the finishing line will be overhaul soon. The Dev Team finish need to do some tweaks so issues over the PRE Smash Patch will be gone once that is done.

Bear in mind that a lot of the 'slots' are technically esl files, so you just uncheck those temporarily when loading e.g. SSEEdit and it will proceed as fine.  The most recent 'fixed BSA' version of the Unofficial sound/music mod weighs in at 7 esl files, for example.

Even though I think I kind of knew this, it didn't occur to me to do this with the ESLs. Even so, the concern over file shuffling hasn't changed here - just changed which ones I'm shuffling. 

Well, I will say one thing the finishing line will be overhaul soon. The Dev Team finish need to do some tweaks so issues over the PRE Smash Patch will be gone once that is done.

Out of curiosity, how so? I don't see any way to change the files that need to be there - you essentially have to have your entire load order up to generate the Pre-Smash because of masters and dependencies... so how do you get around that to remove issues with Pre Smash?

It's mostly notable re: the esl files because you can effectively exclude the total esl count from the 255 limit when you're adding additional mods yourself.  Your shuffling for merges is one thing, but technically the esl count of the unofficial sound / music mod alone means you have space for 7 more personal esp inclusions without disabling anything when it comes time to actually launch the game.

That said I have been tamping / tweaking a lot for my 'above and beyond the pack' mod selections and trying, generally, to get the most 'bang for my buck' with some of my last few additions.  Chiefly this is by way of really big, well-received quest mods like Project AHO, which effectively adds an enormous amount of high quality content for the 'low price' of a single esp.  Compared to 'spending' an esp on something like giving Nazeem a cloud district crown (though arguably, that should take precedence.)

Unrelated, I would love a mod that makes the Dawnbreaker actually give off light so I can wield it in these super dark dungeons and navigate them all fancy-like.

Edited by Baubledorst

Out of curiosity, how so? I don't see any way to change the files that need to be there - you essentially have to have your entire load order up to generate the Pre-Smash because of masters and dependencies... so how do you get around that to remove issues with Pre Smash?

easy we are getting rid of the Pre Smash Patch :;): :whistling: (But you didn't hear that from me)

• +1 1

Which, so far as I can tell, neither SSEEdit or Wrye Bash account for. I, right now, end up running Bash's patch to turn off mods for pre-smash twice. The first is as normal - before I run the second one, I have to turn on all the mods it DIDN'T leave turned on (the bottom five or six) because those would have exceeded the 255. That's a tool issue, I grant you, but still one to keep in mind.

easy we are getting rid of the Pre Smash Patch :;): :whistling: (But you didn't hear that from me)

Whaaaaa? (and of course I didn't... i read it somewhere. On a forum. With your name in it.)

Edited by Shadriss

Which, so far as I can tell, neither SSEEdit or Wrye Bash account for. I, right now, end up running Bash's patch to turn off mods for pre-smash twice. The first is as normal - before I run the second one, I have to turn on all the mods it DIDN'T leave turned on (the bottom five or six) because those would have exceeded the 255. That's a tool issue, I grant you, but still one to keep in mind.

Whaaaaa? (and of course I didn't... i read it somewhere. On a forum. With your name in it.)

trust and have faith in your Dark Lady Lexy by the end you will still only have 200ish plugins so plenty of room to play with. I am Waiting on Dreadflopp to work his mojo.

If you look at the latest Modwat.ch profile you see a hint of what will happen soon.

FYI whoever had the crazy spooky gore eyes in their helmet earlier in the thread, the Skyrim Immersive Creatures - Official Patch and Patch Central released an additional Improved Closedfaced Helmets patch that corrects for the 'Aged' helmets SIC introduces, fixing that eye issue.  Personally I just added those records to my copy of Improved Closedfaced Helmets, since I don't expect that mod will ever actually need to be updated / modified again anyways and I never plan on removing Skyrim Immersive Creatures from my core setup.

Looking through the guide I dont see any mention of patches or compatibility issues between Legacy of the Dragonborn and Immersive Citizens

I find nothing about it either on the ICAIO compatibility page and no patch in the LOTD patches

So can I take it they are generally compatible ?

edit - I am asking in general sense; not specifically related to a full install of your guide 

Edited by Athis

Baubledorst took a look at the Helgen reborn ICH patch you suggested it only 2 records so I will forward those into my next CR update.

Yeah it's a very minor CR edit, I ended up folding it back into my ICH file too.  I swear Improved Closedfaced Helmets has the highest number of CR fixes needed of any Skyrim mod, ha.

trust and have faith in your Dark Lady Lexy by the end you will still only have 200ish plugins so plenty of room to play with. I am Waiting on Dreadflopp to work his mojo.

If you look at the latest Modwat.ch profile you see a hint of what will happen soon.

Maybe I'm missing something then - what I see on the profile is still at 242 mods. Even if we go to the bashed patch (which is what it looks like is happening, and I'm good with that since it would give me back a few tweaks for timescale and arrow speed), I don't see how that changes the total numbers of mods in the list, which is the real concern. You know what? Forget it for now - Dredflopp can do some serious mojo, so I'll just wait and see. Any idea on a rough ETA on the change? I'm out of town for the next week or so, so it's not like I can change my game at the moment, but when I get back... :)

Following up on another comment I had, I just looked at the New Followers and NPCs section, and apart from Interesting NPCs and the hairs, I'll likely be dropping it. In that setup, is the CR patch at the end of that section needed at all? Or was it there to make sure that the new followers benefited from the texture and hair changes?

Edited by Shadriss