My Introduction Thread

Thac0

I've been making quite a bit of threads with little background, so I thought it would be nice to introduce myself so everyone had an idea of who I was.

I'm a computer programmer and a gamer. I recently bought 3 copies of skyrim during the steam holiday sale - one for me, my dad, and a friend. I know Bethesda had a history of buggy games and TES has a fairly rich modding history, so I went in search of the best way for us to play Skyrim before I even installed the game. I spent quite a bit of time trying to search for a decent guide on what mods to install & how all the utilities worked with each other.

After about 10 hours of searching, I finally figured out what STEP was (I found it about hour 2, but thought it was just a mod compilation for the longest time). It's pretty much what I was looking for, only it's not quite user friendly enough yet. Giving this to my friend or my dad would just result in long hours troubleshooting and reinstalling skyrim. I'm not one to just sit back and complain that something isn't done right. I really like STEP's goal and purpose, so I want to help out.

I may make a bit of noise, but it's always well-intentioned. My more annoying bits are that I've got high standards, and I'm big on consistency and documentation. I'm quick to notice and point out small flaws. If at any point I get out of line, or making too much noise, just let me know. I've got pretty thick skin, and sometimes a thick skull, so don't hold back. ^-^

Anywho, I'm here to be productive. I look forward to helping test 2.2.1 and getting it to a point where I can give it to my not quite tech-literate Dad without worry. I figured if I was going to have to write up some instructions I might as well share the wealth.

Ditto the others.

Welcome to the project. There is a ton we have accomplished and much more to do. I expect that the new wiki venue will dramatically increase STEP user understanding, and non-STEP users easily and quickly understand what STEP really is. We have a few talented individuals in terms of creativity and technical know-how, and we could use administrative/dev help from those willing to commit some consistent time to the project ... 2 hours a week, Fe, is fine, as long as it is pretty consistent.

Otherwise, stay a member of the community and contribute as much or as little as you like. Either way, there is a bit of an unspoken "introductory period" whereby we observe things like "level of presence" and "levels of contribution" (not to be confused with "levels of posting", which can get annoying, depending).

The new version (2.2.1) will bring a few announcements with it.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Ditto the others.

Welcome to the project. There is a ton we have accomplished and much more to do. I expect that the new wiki venue will dramatically increase STEP user understanding, and non-STEP users easily and quickly understand what STEP really is. We have a few talented individuals in terms of creativity and technical know-how, and we could use administrative/dev help from those willing to commit some consistent time to the project ... 2 hours a week, Fe, is fine, as long as it is pretty consistent.

Otherwise, stay a member of the community and contribute as much or as little as you like. Either way, there is a bit of an unspoken "introductory period" whereby we observe things like "level of presence" and "levels of contribution" (not to be confused with "levels of posting", which can get annoying, depending).

Yep. I know just the reason behind that intro period. New blood often burns out quick, and leaves quite a bit of noise in it's wake. No reason to upset the core with some new upstart that isn't going to last. They also tend to point out quite a bit of work without doing much themselves. ^-^

I have no idea how long I will stick around past getting a friendly instruction set for my Dad (and myself), so I'm going to error on the side of caution and say that I'm not likely to stick around past the polish of this major release. But I plan on being as helpful as I can while not being a nuisance while I'm here. If I turn out to take a liking to the project, you'll likely know before I will. 

Ditto the others.

Yep. I know just the reason behind that intro period. New blood often burns out quick, and leaves quite a bit of noise in it's wake. No reason to upset the core with some new upstart that isn't going to last. They also tend to point out quite a bit of work without doing much themselves. ^-^

I have no idea how long I will stick around past getting a friendly instruction set for my Dad (and myself), so I'm going to error on the side of caution and say that I'm not likely to stick around past the polish of this major release. But I plan on being as helpful as I can while not being a nuisance while I'm here. If I turn out to take a liking to the project, you'll likely know before I will. 

Good to know. You have already provided several tidbits of useful info and spotted a coding issue RE the wiki as well, so I think that you are on the fast track.

You will want to stick around at least until after the 2.2.3 release though, as 2.2.1 is really just a beta release of the wiki version of the guide. The next release will bring lots of added goodies like STEP Packs, Guide versions, new (and old) mods qualified with performance data, and lots more ... all requiring as much time to conceptually create as it does to document and to implement.

If you want to learn some useful background, then I suggest ramping up on your understanding of Semantic Mediawiki. Farlo was our initial wiki guru, and Stopping has really taken the initiative with SMW dev (and has done an amazing job understanding and implementing this markup ... which is really a lot like object-oreiented programming).

See Project:Data Dictionary on the wiki to get an idea of our unique SMW implementation.

I may make a bit of noise, but it's always well-intentioned. My more annoying bits are that I've got high standards, and I'm big on consistency and documentation. I'm quick to notice and point out small flaws. If at any point I get out of line, or making too much noise, just let me know. I've got pretty thick skin, and sometimes a thick skull, so don't hold back. ^-^

This is the kind of people we need :yes: