Wiki Error

Neovalen

Question

Wiki returning this page when I try to edit:

Database error

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "AbuseFilter::checkAllFilters". Database returned error "1146: Table 'stepproj_mw950.765_abuse_filter' doesn't exist (localhost)".

That's my bad, I partially installed AbuseFilter (for when we open the Wiki) but I came across a problem so stopped. I'll fix it right now.

EDIT: Should be fixed, let me know.

On that note, is the main wiki content going to be locked down? I know the STEP Guide is, but what about the other Guides? I'm having nightmares of users editing and adding a ton of information that has no merit, deleting good information because they don't agree with it, changing DDSopt recommended settings and having people destroy their textures, etc etc.. forcing the Wiki Editors to work full time on information and damage control. :unsure: Nightmares! lol

That's my bad, I partially installed AbuseFilter (for when we open the Wiki) but I came across a problem so stopped. I'll fix it right now.

EDIT: Should be fixed, let me know.

On that note, is the main wiki content going to be locked down? I know the STEP Guide is, but what about the other Guides? I'm having nightmares of users editing and adding a ton of information that has no merit, deleting good information because they don't agree with it, changing DDSopt recommended settings and having people destroy their textures, etc etc.. forcing the Wiki Editors to work full time on information and damage control. :unsure: Nightmares! lol
I'm not sure about the Guides section, I guess that's something we'll have to try.  On top of the fact that users are required to have a forum account to edit the Wiki, AbuseFilter should take care of most random trolling and vandalism.  Initially I'd like to start with it open, we'll have to see how many people actually start editing pages, it's not like we can't change our minds later. 

Fixed now. Also wanted to inquire if my user area is secured for just me or not? Considering I'm hosting my guide there...

Nope...I could edit it at will. :devil:
Unfortunately that's the case.  When we open the Wiki we'll be setting a few people as sysops and you'll both probably be on that list.  With sysop privileges you can protect your user page so that only other sysops can edit it. 

Fixed now. Also wanted to inquire if my user area is secured for just me or not? Considering I'm hosting my guide there...

Nope...I could edit it at will. :devil:
Unfortunately that's the case.  When we open the Wiki we'll be setting a few people as sysops and you'll both probably be on that list.  With sysop privileges you can protect your user page so that only other sysops can edit it. 
:dance: Sysops! Woot!   Not really sure what that means :unsure: but...   Woot! Sysops :dance:

We will not be allotting sysop status to any of our users outside of admin (sorry); however, we can tweak permissions individually if necessary.

RE the "openness" of the wiki: As Farlo has stated in the past (and many others), the wiki will benefit ultimately from many editors. This is how new information gets added and updated. It will be the job of a select few to (voluntarily) take the initiative to add coherence and consistency.

Ultimately, I don't think that any pages should be locked down from community edits (accept the SMW engine and pages that functionally drive the wiki).

Remember, changes are not lost, so anyone can ultimately revert another's changes.

We will not be allotting sysop status to any of our users outside of admin (sorry); however, we can tweak permissions individually if necessary.

RE the "openness" of the wiki: As Farlo has stated in the past (and many others), the wiki will benefit ultimately from many editors. This is how new information gets added and updated. It will be the job of a select few to (voluntarily) take the initiative to add coherence and consistency.

Ultimately, I don't think that any pages should be locked down from community edits (accept the SMW engine and pages that functionally drive the wiki).

Remember, changes are not lost, so anyone can ultimately revert another's changes.

I don't have an issue with the wiki being open in general just hope personal user pages have a bit of protection from random edits. After all, why else have user areas?

I don't have an issue with the wiki being open in general just hope personal user pages have a bit of protection from random edits. After all, why else have user areas?

That is a good point; however, the original wiki developers did not see it that way :P

Regardless, ***holes rarely get into a wiki and mess around with things. To get edit access, a user needs to have registered to the forums, and our community is pretty mature. We have set up a lot of stuff out there too, but I am confident that all will be totally fine, especially given that we can monitor all edits and roll back anything if necessary.

Don't fear. We will all protect each other's hard work ;)

Unfortunately, that's not how MediaWiki works. It's intended purpose is for collaboration on a global scale of information with open editing rights. While there are certain things that can be restricted based on groups, MW doesn't have any granular ACL based permissions when it comes to pages. We would need a true CMS package to do that. A user's page is also used by MW for users to communicate with each other.

As Z stated, any edits that do occur are not lost. If someone happens to try to be malicious, it will only be a minor inconvenience as the page can be easily restored. In the case of User pages, you should have control over that since it is your space.

My bad on this one, I forgot that we were making another permissions level for you guys. Even though you won't be sysops my idea will still work since you'll be a "higher" rank than the average user, whatever we decide to name it.

As the other two said: yay revision logs. Once the Wiki's open I'll also be patrolling RC (RecentChanges) a lot more and if a couple others do as well we should stop pretty much all of the vandalism. Not to mention I have AbuseFilter and the almighty banhammer ;)

Looks like I started up a bit of discussion. I was just curious if the STEP specific stuff and other guides were going to be locked down like the SIG is. I can't even edit that...but have no need to do so; however, could someone paste the wiki code that is being used for the orange highlighted text? I'd like to use it in other places throughout the wiki for cohesiveness.