Updating LOOT Problem MO

reddvilzz

Question

Hi there,

Recently I just updated LOOT from 0.9.0 into 0.9.1, before updating LOOT just run well no problem at all.

After I updated the LOOT now MO won't open LOOT anymore, every time I click run with MO it just showing dialog and then the dialog is closed without showing LOOT. So I tried reverting back to LOOT 0.9.0 to see if it is the problem on 0.9.1 but with LOOT 0.9.0 the same problem occurs.

I tried adding the --single-process in the argument tab, uninstalling then reinstalling, tried with fresh installing MO, deleted LOOT folder on Local/LOOT none fix my problems.

Anyone know the solution perhaps?

• Answers 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This may help the next time you install MO or any executable run through it.

In Windows 10 when I install MO, LOOT, F4SE and FO4Edit I do the following before I run the executable. I go to the executable location and click on any EXE, DLL files to highlight them. Next I right click to get the context menu and select properties. In the properties window I select unblock.

Depending on your AV package there may be a selection to allow an exception there also. Norton has File Insight that I always set to trust.

You are bypassing security settings so be careful when doing this.

I fear that I have to report the same issue, but this time it was with LOOT 0.9.0 (which had been running happily since not long after release) on Windows 7.  LOOT runs when launched as standalone, but it won't open when launched through Mod Organizer.  I tried adding the --single-process argument, but that did not show any change in behavior.  I also remove 0.9.0 and updated to 0.9.1 with no change.

[spoiler=Event viewer shows this exception]Faulting application name: LOOT.exe, version: 0.9.1.0, time stamp: 0x576b84b3
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23418, time stamp: 0x5708a73e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004e6df
Faulting process id: 0x1f40
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d1285ab049ab
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\LOOT\LOOT.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 98eace68-3d1b-11e6-b4d0-0c84dc7885d6

I would note that I ran LOOT without problem just a day or two earlier, but it broke on Monday (June 27) evening without obvious cause.

Unfortunately, LOOT still won't launch from within MO.  On the plus side, moving my Steam install did let me clean things up a bit.  Its the same error message as before albeit for the new install directory.  LOOT will launch successfully from outside of MO.  Furthermore, LOOT is the only application impacted.  xEdit and Wrye Bash both launch without any problems.

Yes, the exe reference in MO was completely redone.  I have even gone so far as to completely wipe everything and re-install MO and LOOT from scratch again, configuring both per the STEP guide.

I tried turning on DEBUG logging after launching LOOT directly to see if it could log a cause of the crash.  However, it doesn't seem to actually get very far when run through MO as no log file (even an empty one) is generated during that run through.

I suspect there may have been a Windows update that has interfered with these LOOT installs. I see no reason why 0.9.0 or 0.9.1 should all of a sudden not work for a handful of users but not the rest of us. Nothing has changed with MO or LOOT, other than the obvious, but still it refuses to be called from MO for some. Very odd!

Crazy thing is that I also did a manual install of one of the old 0.8.1 version to test and that one was effected too.  Except for MSE AV updates, I don't see any Windows updates during the period when it broke.  I *did* install a new Wi-Fi card into my computer over the weekend though its a bit weird that it would stop LOOT from working (at least from my perspective).

Naturally, I went to the LOOT Github only to find a disclaimer that they didn't support issues when used with MO.

Also disabling AV real time protection and adding exclusions did not have any effect.  My copy of Malwarebytes is the free (on-demand) version that only runs manually.

Completely remove the LOOT settings by removing the %AppData%\LOOT\ folder and then re-install LOOT. You may need elevated access to see that hidden system folder. Since the same behaviour is now evident when you install older versions the common denominator in them all is the settings, so let's remove those and start fresh.

Could you also advise us whether you are using the archive or installer versions?

Blowing away the AppData\Loot folder did not work either.  My current install is from the archive version, though I believe that the original install (i.e. the one that original broke) was via the installer.

What just worked though is installing the Mod Organizer v2.0.7 Beta 3.  With this beta build, LOOT launches without a problem.  This makes me suspect an issue in the current stable release that has been fixed for the next release.

If it is an issue then it is a very rare and specific one that affects only a handful of users. Keep in mind MO2 is still in active beta development and support for current 32bit games is still a WIP. Primary focus is till on porting the code to 64bit for games such as Fallout4. Nevertheless if it works for you, then use it.