Updating LOOT Problem MO

reddvilzz

Question

Hi there,

Recently I just updated LOOT from 0.9.0 into 0.9.1, before updating LOOT just run well no problem at all.

After I updated the LOOT now MO won't open LOOT anymore, every time I click run with MO it just showing dialog and then the dialog is closed without showing LOOT. So I tried reverting back to LOOT 0.9.0 to see if it is the problem on 0.9.1 but with LOOT 0.9.0 the same problem occurs.

I tried adding the --single-process in the argument tab, uninstalling then reinstalling, tried with fresh installing MO, deleted LOOT folder on Local/LOOT none fix my problems.

Anyone know the solution perhaps?

• Answers 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It started out as 1.3.11 from the Nexus.  After making little headway, I installed the v2 beta more or less out of desperation.  For whatever reason, that version launched LOOT without any problem.

I just tried to launch into safe mode fifteen or so minutes ago and something is going on there.  If I were to hypothesize, I'd say the problem is a damaged Windows system file.  If that is the case, MO v2's 64-bit support could mean that it is either binding to a 'safe' entry point in said library or an entirely different library in order to support 64-bit games.  I did look up the specific error code that was logged when LOOT fails to start with the stable version of MO.  Error c0000005 is an Access Violation, specifically writing into a restricted memory space (based on my reading).

I have had this same behavior since loot 0.9, I reverted to 0.81 and it works. Using windows 10 pro 64 bits updated from a windows 7 pro 64 bits install.

I even posted on the bug tracker for loot, and got a "this is a MO issue, report there" response. Of course no point reporting MO 1.3.11 issue to MO developer, as he is working on MO 2.

I decided to live with loot 0.81 until MO 2 is considered stable, for Skyrim. For FO4 I use MO 2 alpha.

Edited by Agnusthemagi

Perhaps changing the LOOT folder itself could fixed it like mine before. Changing from C:\ to D:\ and voila.

I'm curious about MO2 to be used with LOOT, does it works for skyrim itself or does it used to sort load order only? Since I've read the github saying support for 32bit.

Just grabbed the latest MO2 and installed it to test LOOT and it is now handling Skyrim, though admittedly I only tested it with regards to starting it, not actually handling any mods.

Also @Tannin will still be interested in any issues that apply to MO 1.3.11, he may just prioritise releasing MO2 before fixing those.

I tested it before for the alpha 3 if I remembered correctly and after I've pointed the mod folder to my MO it doesn't run skyproc patcher correctly, it always show missing master for skyrim.esm and the other official dlc. So I thought it is not working for 32bit.

Haven't tried the new one though.

I think if @Tannin can fix the problem in MO 1.3.11, I'd rather see him apply the fix into MO2 itself so MO2 can run both 32 and 64bit engine instead having to fix the old one. I don't know what will happened if Skyrim SE come out though. Just a suggestion.

Edited by reddvilzz

I myself am not really a proponent of using test software for daily use, but it may be a near necessity in my case, given my issues with the stable release.  I'll find out this weekend if it is able to do the job once I rebuild my STEP profile.

Please do let us know if it is working for skyrim just like the 1.3.11 MO would be nice to have 64bit engine to use with skyproc itself

I just wanted to let you know since you wanted an update... though it has drifted a bit off the topic.  All the tools work with the new MO unless they run for longer than a few minutes, then the virtual file system craps out.  This means that DynDOLOD never has time to complete before the VFS becomes unstable (though TexGen was able to finish).  I'm not going to report this to Sheson since the error clearly points the finger at MO2 (which is still in beta).  I think I can make this work, but it will likely involve using both the stable and beta versions of MO to get around the respective issues.

LOOT still doesn't work on the stable build with no clear reason why.

I just wanted to let you know since you wanted an update... though it has drifted a bit off the topic. All the tools work with the new MO unless they run for longer than a few minutes, then the virtual file system craps out. This means that DynDOLOD never has time to complete before the VFS becomes unstable (though TexGen was able to finish). I'm not going to report this to Sheson since the error clearly points the finger at MO2 (which is still in beta). I think I can make this work, but it will likely involve using both the stable and beta versions of MO to get around the respective issues.

Thank you for updating.

Well that means skyproc patchers won't finished patching because of the VFS, problematic.

And have you tried running SKSE itself with full mods in MO2?

Edited by reddvilzz

It is weird...somebody reported on the official LOOT thread on the Bethsoft forums that the new LOOT would not work on MO2 at all, but worked on MO just fine. Apparently individual user systems and environments seem to be making all the difference in how LOOT is operating for people.

Thank you for updating.

Well that means skyproc patchers won't finished patching because of the VFS, problematic.

And have you tried running SKSE itself with full mods in MO2?

The game will launch from MO2, but i haven't actually started a new game with it in place due to the lack of DynDOLOD.  In theory, the game will start to fall apart after a bit of play as the VFS bugs start to accumulate.

It is weird...somebody reported on the official LOOT thread on the Bethsoft forums that the new LOOT would not work on MO2 at all, but worked on MO just fine. Apparently individual user systems and environments seem to be making all the difference in how LOOT is operating for people.

I definitely think it has something to do with a change to my specific computing environment rather than some massive chronic issue.  As I had noted before, LOOT can launch on its own or from within MO2 without any problem.  The previous day, I had installed a new network card into my PC, but it seems odd that a network card could trigger such a change in behavior from such an unrelated combination of software (MO1 + LOOT).

Apart from the obvious change of 64bit as opposed to 32bit, there is also the way MO2 stores its profiles for different games where these can be configured to be in %AppData% or another location. This may be a problem with access rights that exist even with all users on Win10 and MO2 having everything else the same.

A brute force fix, but a clean upgrade to Windows 10 gave me back LOOT in the stable release of Mod Organizer.  My hypothesis is that my problem (and possibly that of others) stemmed from pieces of old/bad software that was still rattling around.  Nuking it all and then reinstalling the base OS 'fixed' all of my apparent issues without having to rely on the MO2 beta.