Rumor: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Remastered to be announced at E3

Oh ****...what if the reason they are releasing Skyrim: Special Edition for free on PC...is because they are bringing back paid mods?? Think about it...Skyrim on PC doesn't need this Special Edition at all really, and it makes even less sense that Bethesda is releasing this update for free to PC users out of the goodness of their hearts. I think their plan is to release the 'upgraded' version of Skyrim for free to make everyone happy, and they bring back paid mods along with it.

They're really pushing and emphasizing the idea of mods on the consoles, so what if for Skyrim: Special Edition, it's released with paid mods?

I think I'm onto something here guys.. Thoughts?

After the paid mods fiasco I'm pretty sure Bethesda publicly said they wouldn't go near that again for a long time.

I bet they do it for TES6...but I think they are just trying to establish console modding at this point.

Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE are test cases to work out the console modding kinks, because console is where the money is at.

Once modding is well established on console, THEN I see a return to a paid modding concept, with the release of the next big game. But not before.

Just my thoughts.

This was my thought, as well. I'm very much looking forward to being able to use an ENB and some decent weather mods, but I'm actually not entirely impressed with that game footage. It looks orange and muddy. Yes, it's obviously sunrise/sunset in those shots, but there are good ways and bad ways to do that, of course.

Something a bit funny, is I can actually see a decent amount of the user base not particularly liking these changes, as they are so drastically different from the bleak feel of vanilla Skyrim. It'll be very interesting to see what folks think when it's released.

It's the current trend to plaster the screen with filters, god rays, and fog. Apparently that's called an artistic upgrade. My least favourite is Chromatic Abberation. If you don't know what that is look here first at my image11799-0-1465248028.jpg

and tell me if you can spot what it's doing before you look it up. I put it on because some people apparently deem it to look more realistic. Apparently. I think it makes my images look worse, but I just want to see if maybe one person will notice this horrid effect so I can congratulate them. :D

Yeah, so please no CA Bethesda!

Edited by Guest

It's a free standalone upgrade, what's not to like?

It's clearly free on PC so that they can get mod makers making mods for consoles, and hence sell more of it for consoles. There are potentially a lot of things not to like, depending on what it pans out to be. A remaster of an older game would be more welcome for my part. 

• +1 1

One big thing is, the Fallout 4 engine is like really slow. I have seen way prettier games with better performance. I probably will prefer the old version simply cause I enjoy 60 fps

I really hope that they rebuild Hearthfire to use the Fallout 4 style of building things.

One big thing is, the Fallout 4 engine is like really slow. I have seen way prettier games with better performance. I probably will prefer the old version simply cause I enjoy 60 fps

I really hope that they rebuild Hearthfire to use the Fallout 4 style of building things.

:-(

Man, this brings me down, DY. I thought it would be faster than current Skyrim due to utilization of more processor cores and more RAM.

If it is slower, then I will definitely be disappointed. I think I am currently bottlenecked by my CPU (laptop CPUs have horrid clockspeed). :-(

I don't even own FO4 yet, so I have no idea how my laptop would handle that game.

Eww! 

aicap2u3h.jpg

I ... I Hate it! Honestly if I can't turn it off I won't enjoy a game as much. It messes with my eyes a lot!

Where is this idea coming from? What Fallout 4 engine? Does this remaster have the half-baked Physically Based Rendering we see in Fallout 4? The answer seems to be no because the textures are exactly the same. In that instance, I feel this has to be a tack-on of features on the current Skyrim engine. I'm not saying you are wrong but let's have a look at the additions:

Nvidia Volumetric Lighting - Middleware that seemingly requires DX11, but this is probably so easy to tack-on after you change the rendering method.

Snow Shaders - What does this do exactly? Is it just more particles or a better rendering technique? Pretty easy-looking addition to tack-on either way.

Water Shaders -  Flow maps like we saw in that Game Jam video or better dispersion effect around statics? Still, tack tack.

Screen Space Reflections - Looks like it's added to water as well, but would a developer really find this hard to add being they are now using DX11? 

So I'd recommend you to not jump to conclusions just yet. 

Edited by Guest

Just thinking ahead... plenty of the PC mods are no go for the consoles (those that use SKSE or MCM for example, as Gopher said) while straight new content or replacer mods are going to be OK given some work. What what about those that affect levelled lists or which need compatibility patches? If we will be using something like the FO4 engine which is still tied to 256 ESPs, this is something that Consoles will have to watch for.

I do intend to have a look at Book Covers Skyrim for both PC and console SSE when we get the tools such as TES5EDIT but some form of BASH tool is needed for mods with levelled lists such as my Lost Library which may have to remain PC only.

Will consoles also have to watch for mod size too? BCS was just under 1Gb on disk when unpacked. Even if Bethesda fix the definition that would allow me to use alternative textures on a mesh, that would only shave about 100Mb off the mod.

What kind of mod management do the consoles have? I dropped console gaming with the PS2 (still have) & the Xbox360 (ring of death, rinse, repeat).

Is it analogous to the Steam Workshop where you get a paragraph of description, click subscribe & hope for the best? If so, then it's probably a limited set of mods that would make sense for those devices, serious modding will still be a PC thing even if hardware limitations aren't a limiting factor (& I assume that's a big IF).

Will consoles also have to watch for mod size too? BCS was just under 1Gb on disk when unpacked. Even if Bethesda fix the definition that would allow me to use alternative textures on a mesh, that would only shave about 100Mb off the mod.

I think I have read that there is a 2GB limit per mod on consoles. I can't remember the source, though, so it could be nonsense.

It's basically Steam Workshop, but with a 2gb limit which 'may' be expanded. Apparently Xbone users take a 3-4 fps hit with just a dense grass mod active.  

Edit: Well I just noticed my WET mod is 12th popular mod of all time now you have made me look at that horrid site again. *shrugs* Okay, there seems to also be a link telling me about a new compression method for textures on Xbone. Erm... Great I guess. And PS4 next week? Huh huh.

I also had a good laugh that my mod is deemed popular enough for a guy to advertise his YouTube account in the comments. You are all in for such treats!

Edited by Guest

It seems like it would be difficult to monetize that (console modding), especially if you can get more for free on the PC side. PC modders being very against paid modding as far as I can see on the Nexus. Seems strange the SSE isn't a mesh/texture improvement with a "best of" collection of community mods targeted at consolers (the PC community being better able to do that & more for themselves). Egosoft's X franchise did that for X3 with the X-tended mod where they partnered with the mod community to host the mod & develop assets included in the next release of their game. Unfortunate that Beth hasn't tried to reach out like that, since their modding community does so much work for them already.