A Few Pre-install Q's

Are you pegged at 3.9 (i.e. is the graph flatlining right at 3.9 or is that just a spike here and there?). If you are pegged, that's an indication you've maxxed out your VRAM.

If you are not pegged, then VRAM isn't your issue. At that point you have to start looking at other possibilities, as Paul mentioned. It could be unoptimized textures (but again, that's more a VRAM thing I think). Lighting could do it (you can try turning down or turning off shadows and see if that helps). You maybe could try turning off the ENB and see if that's the culprit. If so, go with a more performance friendly preset (I'm not the expert on ENBs, Paul or Darth or someone could maybe give you some good suggestions).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm not pegged at 3.9 nonstop but it's definitely in the 3.5-4.0 almost the entire time playing.   I uploaded the graph.   I followed the guide pretty much completely on the 2k textures.   ENB off definitely seems to be it  (or at least masks it) and FPS shoots up consistently. 

Ok I just uploaded another screenshot of a graph where I left Whiterun and then went to Solitude.   I walked around Solitude and then went to the docks.    It was pretty bad...teens-30s.  It's on the same drive link above.   By the way..this was on 1080p.   There seems to be no real difference for me in fps between 1080p and 1440p. 

Edited by rolltide78

Yeah, you see that VRAM graph at the end, how it's flat right at 3.9 GB? That is you pegging out your VRAM at the limit. That, I suspect, is where you are getting framerates in the 10-20 range. Now, naturally, VRAM usage is going to be highly dependent on where you are (i.e. the cells that are loaded and how many textures they use). That is why most people with this issue will hit 60FPS indoors (because there are far fewer textures to load while indoors compared to what has to be loaded when outdoors).

The area right outside the starting cave (near Riverrun) seems to be particularly problematic (lots of textures), and you are the second person I've heard mention Solitude as well. No doubt there are other cells with the same problem.

I know Darth is working on tweaking out the guide for better performance. I would suggest making any changes he is proposing (use the History log or the change log linked on the guide page) and see if that helps. But again, the key here is to reduce and/or optimize your textures so that you can get more of them on the video card before you hit that limit (or, alternately, dual boot over to a Win7 OS so that you can use your extra 2GB, that would also fix it).

Yes, I definitely see it.   So last night I repartitioned my Hybrid Sata disk and loaded Win7 on it in dual boot.   Now I'm running the exact copy of Skyrim but from Win7 and now the graph definitely spikes over 4 gb.    The framerate is better around Whiterun/Riverbed about 10fps and consistently in 30s/40s except right when you look at Riverwood on the bridge (upper teens).  So I'm definitely seeing improvements.  I still have some crazy stutter going on throughout but I'll continue to tweak.   I uploaded the latest graph that starts with Vividian ENB Performance in Whiterun, Riverwood, and then Solitude and then I enabled the ENB Default version (you'll see the dip in the graph when I make the switch).   This is when you see it bump over 4 gb.   I'll go check out Darth's guide and see what he offers.   Thanks again Ron for your help here.  

Ok will do.  Do you have any other Geforce Control Panel settings you'd recommend to have off or on?   

What Lexy did was to set these value in there ini files:

Skyrim.ini

iPresentInterval=0

Enblocal.ini

EnableVSync=false

then set Vsync as per this guide https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74427/? See the picture in the Setup your PC Section using Nvidia inspector .

Edited by Darth_mathias

Ok I updated the iPresentInterval in SkyrimPrefs.  Is that what you meant?   I went ahead and set it to 0 there.  I also dropped down again to 1080p, killed depth of field/detailed shadows and I'm still 25-35 near Whiterun.   It must be the 2k textures.  I just find this fps too unacceptable so I guess I'll just start deactivating some mods to see what the real culprit is. :(    When I disable the ENB altogether now I do not see a drastic bump up in frames. 

Ok I updated the iPresentInterval in SkyrimPrefs.  Is that what you meant?   I went ahead and set it to 0 there.  I also dropped down again to 1080p, killed depth of field/detailed shadows and I'm still 25-35 near Whiterun.   It must be the 2k textures.  I just find this fps too unacceptable so I guess I'll just start deactivating some mods to see what the real culprit is. :(    When I disable the ENB altogether now I do not see a drastic bump up in frames. 

you could try the performance version of Vividian or a completely different ENB. Vividian is known to be pretty heavy also I would strongly recommend the medium setting of Dyndolod.

Edited by Darth_mathias

Ok I'll try the perf version of Vividian again or like you said a different enb.   Over the weekend I tried the perf version and didn't see much of a difference.  When I do a Shift F12 to turn off enb I don't see a drastic increase in FPS.   I also have been using the mediums etting of dyndolod as well.   It almost feels like something is locked to around 30 fps. 

Also, to add I did go to the Vanilla Skyrim profile and confirmed I'm getting a solid 60 in Helgen at 1440p so at least I know the vanilla isn't locked or anything.   That is with the ENB as well.   I also read to uncheck Solitude Exterior to assist with the Solitude FPS drop but haven't tested that.  

Again, thank you everyone!

G

Edited by rolltide78

I've only been looking at Neovalen's page and haven't looked at this one: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Darth_mathias/SRLE_Extended   Should I go through this and make any ini changes?  Basically, do any of your changes (not necessarily mod additions) improve upon SRLE performance?  

that guide is old and no longer being updated this one is more recent. https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Darth_mathias/SRLE_Extended_Legacy_of_The_Dragonborn

Ahh ok.   I had just assumed Neovalen plus LOTD would reduce performance but I see where you are recommending ditching SFO, adding enhanced landscapes, and also tweaking Vivid Weathers.   Should I get better performance going forward and following the new guide or try to fix fps before I start? 

Ahh ok.   I had just assumed Neovalen plus LOTD would reduce performance but I see where you are recommending ditching SFO, adding enhanced landscapes, and also tweaking Vivid Weathers.   Should I get better performance going forward and following the new guide or try to fix fps before I start? 

I would fix the FPS before you start.

Not sure you will get better performance by install all my addional mods since your straggling with a mostly SRLE Base. Enahnced landscape is a bit a resource hog so that is actually up for the chop. Personally i would pull SFO tweak Vividain install lighter texture to get your VRAM under 3.5GB for deciding to continue.