A Few Pre-install Q's

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reinstalled Vividian perf, unticked Solitude Exterior, removed the 4 SFO mods, and ticked DynLOD Low Resources and Medium Worldgen.   It's looking at 30-40 outside of whiterun and still teens-20s inside Solitude with 30s-40s outside Solitude.  

What do you think about this as a test? 

Copy the Skyrim Revisited profile, and uncheck everything but the optimized textures and Vividian and then run it.   Check FPS.  I know all of those additional textures I added (objects/armor/weapons/etc) are all 2k so I know those are contributing as well but trying to narrow down the biggest offender.   

It's be awesome if a tool showed what each mod was contributing fpswise on the fly :) 

I'm also tempted to just scrap it and start over and run the game after every mod is added to test performance AND/OR scrap it and just add only the mods I really know about and/or want.  

I love the pack idea but really want as close to 60 fps and a good looking game sweetspot. 

Update here:   I copied the SRLE profile in Mod Organizer and tested FPS with everything but the top 10 priority items including the textures along with Vividian ENB Perf and had 45-60 throughout Riverwood, Whiterun, and outside Solitude.   I switched over to Vivid Weathers ENB and saw a bit better results in framerate.  I also tried Realvision but had a ton of weird visual issues since it isn't compatible with Vivid Weathers after I enabled that.    Regardless of the fps issue everything was a ton smoother and more responsive even on 1440p.    So I started to add mods individually back and reached a point last night where I sustain 40-58 throughout (except inside Whiterun and Solitude) and have everything activated but SFO and Dyndolod and have the sustained performance.    I think if I were to find a different enb that works with Vivid Weathers I could squeeze out some more perf.   

Bottom line is it's sooo much better and much more enjoyable.    I'm not sure why just deactivating SFO and Dyndolod from my original SRLE profile didn't produce the same results but this has definitely helped.  I'm glad I didn't settle though as I would have been missing a much more enjoyable experience.  

Are you pegged at 3.9 (i.e. is the graph flatlining right at 3.9 or is that just a spike here and there?). If you are pegged, that's an indication you've maxxed out your VRAM.

If you are not pegged, then VRAM isn't your issue. At that point you have to start looking at other possibilities, as Paul mentioned. It could be unoptimized textures (but again, that's more a VRAM thing I think). Lighting could do it (you can try turning down or turning off shadows and see if that helps). You maybe could try turning off the ENB and see if that's the culprit. If so, go with a more performance friendly preset (I'm not the expert on ENBs, Paul or Darth or someone could maybe give you some good suggestions).

Ron,

I'm running in Win7 now and now my memory never goes over 4 or gets close.   Shouldn't it be going over it now or is it more optimized for lack of a better word?   I was expecting it to go well over 4 now and as a biproduct give more performance.    Thanks.

G

Ron,

I'm running in Win7 now and now my memory never goes over 4 or gets close.   Shouldn't it be going over it now or is it more optimized for lack of a better word?   I was expecting it to go well over 4 now and as a biproduct give more performance.    Thanks.

G

Switching to Win7 only helps if you already were hitting the limit (which at one point you were, but then you tweaked stuff for better performance I think, which must have brought you down below the 4GB mark). If you optimized the game (i.e. used lower resolution textures) to the point where you were under 4GB using Win10, then switching over to Win7 isn't going to change anything, you will still be using whatever VRAM you were already using, it won't magically go up just because you changed OSes. What it will do is allow you to increase texture sizes back up (getting nicer looking textures) or add more mods, and you don't have to worry about VRAM usage hitting the 4GB mark (I think on your card your limit is 6GB, wasn't it?).

Technically, the larger/more textures might slow you down a little, but it won't be noticeable during play (the load screen times will be longer, but that's about it). The only thing you absolutely cannot do is hit your limit, whatever it is (4GB under Win8/10, or whatever your VRAM size is under Win7). Once you hit that, that is when you are going to see massive framerate drops. And remember, you OS needs a little bit of VRAM too, which is why your effective limit under Win10 was 3.9 GB (I think they set aside 350MB for the OS if I remember right, but double check on that, I could be wrong).

Bottom line: If you were using less than 4GB VRAM under Win10, then switching to Win7 isn't going to affect performance, because VRAM was never your bottleneck.

Switching to Win7 only helps if you already were hitting the limit (which at one point you were, but then you tweaked stuff for better performance I think, which must have brought you down below the 4GB mark). If you optimized the game (i.e. used lower resolution textures) to the point where you were under 4GB using Win10, then switching over to Win7 isn't going to change anything, you will still be using whatever VRAM you were already using, it won't magically go up just because you changed OSes. What it will do is allow you to increase texture sizes back up (getting nicer looking textures) or add more mods, and you don't have to worry about VRAM usage hitting the 4GB mark (I think on your card your limit is 6GB, wasn't it?).

Technically, the larger/more textures might slow you down a little, but it won't be noticeable during play (the load screen times will be longer, but that's about it). The only thing you absolutely cannot do is hit your limit, whatever it is (4GB under Win8/10, or whatever your VRAM size is under Win7). Once you hit that, that is when you are going to see massive framerate drops. And remember, you OS needs a little bit of VRAM too, which is why your effective limit under Win10 was 3.9 GB (I think they set aside 350MB for the OS if I remember right, but double check on that, I could be wrong).

Bottom line: If you were using less than 4GB VRAM under Win10, then switching to Win7 isn't going to affect performance, because VRAM was never your bottleneck.

Gotcha.  I never did change textures but did reduce dyn to medium as well as switched to tetra enb just to see.   I have a handful of body textures and some other mods deactivated while I still test and am around the 40-55 fps mark and hitting 60 in some places ...all outside.  Indoors is easy 60.  I'm trying to get back up to the same spot as before but now with tetra which requires elfx to be disabled and I may go without vivid weathers for something else.    All being said, in just looking at the graph I was thinking I'd be pushing 4 gb again since things are not "that" different.   I do get confused when reading on which enblocal settings to turn on or off compared to whether to turn them on via nvidia inspector.    Some say set expandedmem to true, others false..some say enable AA in enblocal and others say no.