Lights flicker when changing directional view

jonnrev

Question

I know this is a known issue at the start with the mara statue. On the guide it says "This is a bug only when initially starting a new game. Simply use the Mara statue to continue with the game error free or save and reload to get rid of the problem". Ive had this happen to 3 different places now in the game. In the dungeon entrance where that blind guy is stationed in, Silver hand hideout, and companion hallway between two rooms. The light doesn't flicker completely off, but instead it changes lighting shade. Really hoping this is all there is and hopefully i don't find anymore during my playthrough. I tried reloaded and it still happens.

If your backup is sorted, you can compare the files easily using Notepad++ and the Compare plugin

(Btw, using the compare plugin and carrying over interesting changes from the INI you're analyzing to the one you're using is the only way you should edit your INIs. Using premade INIs or automated tools is overall a bad idea as you loose controls on a large part of the settings).

Edited by Kesta

ok it looks like ive fixed the problem. Before starting a new game I ran spINI and used the enb configuration in that mod. I reverted back to a backup ini I had and it fixed the problem. I checked the locations I had problems with and the lightbulb flickers were gone. spINI changed something in the ini files that caused the issue but I don't know what. I assumed spINI tool would help make my ini files more stable. I may just stick with the backup ini I had before using spINI and try not to change anything drastic in the files.

Thanks for this feedback. I've been thinking that some of the lighting settings might produce bugs at high values, and this is very possible.

Thanks Kesta you are are absolutely correct about premade inis. just got lazy and hoped spINI was a one click ready installment without adjusting anything else. ill stick to default ini and add things manually as i play my game. Thank you for all of your replies.. started a new game yesterday and everything seems to be working well so far. Its nice to get quick replies and support from the crew. I will mark this as solved. :D

I have the light flickering problem outdoors ... as hishutup posted, there is no real solution, maybe with cutting parallax mods! 

Before I try to re-mod SRLE w/o parallax textures, I want to know if someone already did that? Also, does it help when I replace the ELFX lighting with the  whole complete version of "Relighting Skyrim" like in the S.T.E.P. core modding guide (Relighting is also listed in the here :( )? 

tipps and reports are appreciated.  ::D: 

Edited by Maddin

awww, I should have written that I already tried that ;) but I can't solve the following pop-in light:

Whiterun%20-%20Lights%20off.jpg Whiterun%20-%20Lights%20on.jpg

BTW: I think reducing the uMaxDecals to 250 only makes lighted smoke less visible - because there is less smoke of course :P Below is the 6000 particles version!!!! ....

EDIT @DoubleYou: -_- I should have read the text in detail, thats exactly what you said  ::P:

Whiterun%20-%20Smokelight%20off.jpg Whiterun%20-%20Smokelight%20on.jpg

Edited by Maddin

[Particles]
iMaxDesired=250

not uMaxDecals.

And you're right, they're still there even with vanilla INIs in ELFX. Even with deferred shadows disabled. It seems the smoke flickers between being lit up by the light from the brazier and then being unlit by it. This can be easily seen in your photo of the brazier.

The author of this INI Guide posted below (@Other / Explanation) that skyrim has two types of light: Static and Flickering (Dynamic I guess) ... Maybe my pictures above are an example of the transition between those two. 

If FireFreak111's light explanation is right, could it be a solution to remove the animated light from outdoor firepits? The smoke is even more intrusive while using the Vividian ENB  :dry: ... should I try Relighting? The JIT feature sounds good. --JawZ-- posted two days ago that there will be a huge update in the future.

PS: "u"MaxDesired was typo, thanks! the ini has it right through.

PPS: I did a quick vanilla profile check up in Whiterun with some lighting mods only:

• Smoke flickering occurs in: Vanilla, ELFX, Relighting 
  • Gildergreen (see pics above) flickering occurs only with ELFX!

PPPS: I may have found a transitional solution: Remove Smoke

Edited by Maddin