Dyndolod causes severe FPS drop after character creation

WizardDoctor

Question

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:WizardDoctor/SystemSpecs

I run windows 10

Thank you guys so much for all the hard work!

I followed Step extended guide with a few exclusions as I'm planning on a requiem 1.9.2 final build.  I have souls gems differ and better quest objectives unselected currently because of the requiem patch and need for requiem master.  TES5edit will not run with these selected.

I made a bashed patch as instructed, but don't have it selected as it is not recommened with requiem 1.9.2.

Everything runs smoothly until I follow instructions for dyndolod.  No errors reported during texture or world generation.  After activating dyndolod, LOOT sorting, then launching, game seems to be running OK.  There are a few FPS drops down to about 46 on carriage ride into town.

After character creation, while typing name of character, suddenly system slows down to about 12 FPS.  GPU usage goes from around 60% to constant 99%.  CPU usage seems unaffected.  VRAM usage stays under 3GB

This continues and game is unplayable.

If I load the savegame right after character creation/naming, game seems to run fine?

Do I do something wrong?  I just want to make sure there is not some underlying problem that is not obvious.

I followed all recommend ini tweaks, I have shesons SKSE ini as instructed, and adjusted the enblocal.ini memory settings as instructed.

I am running Phinix natural ENB.

I want to get my STEP extended setup stable before I start trying to set up requiem.

EDIT: added which ENB i use.

Edited by WizardDoctor

13 answers to this question

Hey WizardDoctor,

What preset did you use? If High, have you tried Medium? Your specs are impressive, but I have heard that it takes a bloody spaceship to run DynDOLOD on high.

References, in case you don't have them:

- STEP DynDOLOD recommendations

- Sheson's DynDOLOD support thread

Note that there are updated scripts as a separate download in the DynDOLOD thread. Sheson has made these available prior to the next release.

Edited by Nebulous112

I am using DynDOLOD medium.  Weird thing is the game runs fine if I load the save that occurs after character creation.  I only have this problem when I go from introductory scene and create my character - specifically it occurs while typing name of character - really weird. Its as if it gets hung up on some script or something (I really have no computer programming knowledge, and don't understand all this stuff which is why I followed the guide so closely.)

I would just load the save game after character creation and go from there, I am just fearful there is some major underlying issue I can't identify.

Thanks for the references, but I followed the STEP reference for Dyndolod.

I disagree with the conclusion that it is the RaceMenuPlugin.esp. This sounds like you accidentally activated the ENB framerate limiter while typing your characters name, or perhaps while adjusting the values. This will automatically limit your framerate to around 10 fps by default, which is awful close to 12 fps. To fix this, set the limiter to something high, like 60, in ENBLocal.ini

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

The default hotkey for the ENB framerate limiter is the Num Lock key, which can be easy to bump. Happened to me once and freaked me out.

Doubleyou,  you are correct, default is 10 on my enblocal.ini.  I really don't think I accidently was bumping the numblock key, but who knows.  I created a character about 10 times whiling trying to sort this out, always naming him "Stannis Baratheon"  so perhaps it was something to do with the naming, as it always occured while I was naming him.  If I didn't make any edits, and didn't name him, the problem did not seem to occur.  The only thing that makes me think it was some other issue is that I had skyrim performance monitor running, and my GPU usage went from 60% to 99% during this severe slow down.  I would think my GPU usage would go down if I was lowing the framerate through ENBlocal.ini. (I can test this later if you guys want, but I'm getting ready to go to work for the night.)

Nebulous, For some reason I thought moving the racemenuplugin fixed the problem.  However, after I added all the Requiem patches and .esps and went through the intro cut scene I had the same problem again.  I just quit the game to desktop, and loaded the save game with my character name and everything is running smooth for about 5-6 hours of game time now.

Hopefully no future issues pop up.

I decided to do a quick test before leaving for work,  When naming character, the combination of shift +B induces the issue when naming "Baratheon"  If it Hit Shift +B again, issue goes away.  I modified the enblocal.ini so the limiter was set to 60 befor doing this.  Weird.

I decided to do a quick test before leaving for work,  When naming character, the combination of shift +B induces the issue when naming "Baratheon"  If it Hit Shift +B again, issue goes away.  I modified the enblocal.ini so the limiter was set to 60 befor doing this.  Weird.

Shift-b enable BruteForce mode for ENB -> FPS drop

From ENBSeries forum

Boris

Version updated, download again

Added BruteForce with new hotkey (shift+b) for screen archers. This mode enables very high quality for effects and advanced algorithms, at huge performance cost. Right now only ambient occlusion and indirect lighting is improved only, calculations including self shadowing of these effects. Be careful with it, low quality videocards or overclocked can be corrupted. Added to profiler two variables which show how many valid and invalid textures are loaded by ENBoost memory manager, because invalid textures have much longer loading times and stuttering as result (medium and low texture quality do the same).

Ambient occlusion works now like a mix of hbao and my old ambient occlusions. I tried hbao only version and it's not differ much from my original ssao, but performance many times slower, so instead of inventing i decided to get already polished code and apply self shadowing. Also it's computed with bigger range in two passes and range is internally forced to 0.3 and 1.2. Number of samples is about 1100 per pixel because of tracing shadows, this is very slow, about 1.5 fps on my gf650ti at 1440*810 resolution and SizeScale=1. Filter quality is limited to lowest and very low, because otherwise blurring will kill all the processing. I recommend to use "very low" mode or "lowest" together with complex filtering type. I'll improve algorithm and add similar computation for other important effects, ssao/ssil imho the most useful for high quality screenshots.