STEP Wiki Has Error...I think lol

Worsin

Question

First off i want to thank you guys at STEP for the insane amount of work you have put into this project so people like myself can mod easier!

That being said i was following the Core guide on this page

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.1

and there is a line that states the following:

• Install mods in the order that they are presented in the following tables in order to achieve the desired result.

However when looking at the tables below the order you recommend in the FIXES section lists them in the following order:

Distant Decal Fix
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Dawnguard
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Hearthfire
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Dragonborn
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
High Resolution Texture Pack
Unofficial High Resolution Patch

However, LOOT seems to want this order:

Distant Decal Fix
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Dragonborn
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Dawnguard
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Hearthfire
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
High Resolution Texture Pack
Unofficial High Resolution Patch

Essentially Dragonborn should be above Dawnguard.

Now i do understand that this is not a big issue because you do instruct to use LOOT to sort your manifest, but in order for your site to be consistent with your initial statement and what seems to be LOOTs order the WIKI should be updated to reflect this correctly.  Unless of course LOOT is wrong.

Then again im not a mod programmer so perhaps im missing something which is entirely possible after having a 6 pack tonight already LOL
Edited by Worsin

7 answers to this question

Strange i have no rules set up at all other than a couple from the core instructions and for me it flagged multiple times to set it the way i listed.

What else could be causing it do you think?

Im running latest versions of everything btw

I would thnk LOOT was right becuase it's listing the DLC in terms of quality. It is truly sentient.

Why wouldn't Dragonborn be loaded first by the way? That was the last DLC, so shouldn't that have priority over other DLC, due to to the fact it has the latest changes? Yes, idiot question perhaps, but logically, it seems right to me. I know that is not saying much, but yeah.

Edit: Hope I'm not reading back-to-front again, I'm tired.

Edited by Guest

You are backwards, Sparrow. You're correct that it was the most recent, and should (supposedly) have the most recent changes. Therefore, it should be loaded LAST so that it's changes overwrite the other ones.

Regardless, I have to ask - is it LOOT asking you to do that, or MO's built in 'mod order problem' detection. From your post, Worsin, it sounds like the later. '... to set it the way I listed' makes it sound like you had to make the changes manually, and LOOT reorders the ESPs automatically.

Interesting ...

Just to be clear, we are talking about install order and asset prioritization rather than plugin order here. MO will obey LOOT plugin-order rules (which also defines asset priorities within respective BSAs, since BSAs are linked to parent-plugin order).

Most files amongst the DLC do not conflict, but it is possible that the USP team discovered issues with certain DB DLC records that are not present in those (relatively) few that do conflict with the others. Regardless, plugins (and plugin-related assets) will be prioritized by LOOT defs, while assets will be prioritized according to MO left pane.

DoubleYou and Tech should be able to confirm though, as I have been away from modding for awhile now, and my memory about these details is fuzzy and outdated ;)

I think I've seen them sort like that before with other users and it was because they were using MO Sort function or they were mistaken the PMOP with LOOT, which they are not the same. Running PMOP before LOOT can cause such issue, if I'm not mistaken. As far as I'm aware, external LOOT has to be ran once before running MO's Sort function. This may not be the case anymore. I don't use the Sort function. When I run LOOT, I always use the external program and have never seen it try to order the DLCs in such a way.

Remember, you want them ordered in the way they were released. Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn. This is because in MO, the lower the mod is in the left pane, the higher priority it has. You'll want them organized the way we have them in the guide or you'll run into problems.

Solution to try: Run external LOOT once, sort the plugins with it, and apply the changes. Ignore the PMOP warnings when strictly following STEP.

The 'Sort' function uses the exact same code as the full LOOT programme, just without the UI and other features. If you use either the results should be identical.

Looking at the list in the OP, this doesn't appear to be a LOOT issue. If I'm not mistaken "Distant Decal Fix" is just a meshes fix and will therefore not even show in LOOT or 'Sort'.