SKSE launch problems when run through MO with NO mods

Aerandor

Question

Hi All,

So after royally messing up my game through overwriting mods I shouldn't have, I decided to start over and ditch NMM for MO. After getting all my mods re-downloaded, installed, and sorted correctly, I tried running SKSE from MO and would get through the bethesda logo and to the main screen, but whenever I'd try to load a save or start a new one the game would just hang/crash.

Figuring it was a problem with my mods, I unchecked everything but the vanilla files (I have all three dlcs) and tried running it that way, expecting I'd have to go through with the mods active in small batches until I found the source of the problem. However, the result was the same as when I had all the mods implemented, with the game just hanging/crashing when loading/starting a save.

To make sure that it wasn't the game itself, I loaded up the game through skse outside of MO and had no trouble at all. So at this point I can only assume there is some sort of problem coming from MO when I run the game, but I have no idea what it would be. Any help would be appreciated :)

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The ini settings were the ones that came downloaded with the game, and then modified for ENB. If you have a guide you could refer me to for this specific purpose, I'd love to adjust them. Still doesn't solve the main problem I'm experiencing though...

Unfortunately, I went through those pages and tried the ideas there, but still nothing. I was playing around with the game though to see if I could figure out anything else and I did notice this. I started a new game through skse launched from desktop, saving just after the character creation menu closes, and then went to try and load the save after launching skse through MO. Even though the save should have the exact same file load (vanilla + 3 dlcs), I still get the "this game relies on content that may no longer be available" message and then the game crashes if I proceed to load the save. One other difference I noticed was that launching skse from desktop goes through the bethesda logo before going to the main game menu, whereas launching through MO seems to skip the logo and go straight to the menu. Don't know if either of those things sheds some light on the problem, but thought it worth mentioning anyway.

This comment from the game engine needs to be investigated. It simply can't be dismissed as not important as the game engine is making this call, not MO or SKSE.

The way it looks to me is you have a mod, or remnants of a mod, active in the Data folder of Skyrim, thus outside of MO's management.

Add to that the strange INI settings and I would say you need to do a thorough cleanout of your game and start fresh. The time you take searching for an errant mod or setting may be better spent doing a fresh install.

Since you said at the outset you have come to MO from NMM it is entirely possible that something has been left behind where it shouldn't be.

I know it's been a little bit but I finally followed up on this, so here's the update:

After uninstalling Skyrim (through steam as well as deleting the Skyrim folder completely so nothing got left behind), I re-installed it again (vanilla + 3 DLCs). Then I removed everything from mod organizer, and re-installed it. Then, making sure I used a tutorial specifically on installing SKSE with MO, I re-installed SKSE. The result? The exact same problem occurs whenever I launch SKSE through MO. To me then, this would suggest that the problem must lie somewhere in the interaction between MO, SKSE and Skyrim, since there are no mods and no enboost anywhere to get in the way.

I'm hoping someone has some ideas, otherwise I'm gonna have to throw in the towel and go back to NMM...

If your AV package is viewing the MO executable as 'suspicious' it might not be allowing it to call any other executable, such as SKSE.

You may need to set an exception for MO in the settings of your AV.

I would like to see your root folder of Skyrim and the INI set for SKSE as described in the guides.

Of all the games managed by MO, Skyrim has proven to be the least problematic and no-one else is reporting such a major error as this.

At the very least you should see these files in the root folder:

\skyrim\skse_1_9_32.dll
\skyrim\skse_docs.txt
\skyrim\skse_loader.exe
\skyrim\skse_papyrus_docs.txt
\skyrim\skse_readme.txt
\skyrim\skse_steam_loader.dll

I uninstalled my AV and firewall (both of which are free and easy to reinstall) and tried running skse again, but it didn't change anything. I'm not sure what INI set you're wanting me to post here exactly. My root folder for skyrim has the following in it at this time:

Data (folder)
DirectX10 (folder)
DotNetFX (folder)
Skyrim (folder)
VCRedist (folder)
atimgpud.dll
binkw32.dll
high.ini
installscript.vdf
low.ini
medium.ini
readme.txt
skse_1_9_32.dll
skse_docs.txt
skse_loader.exe
skse_papyrus_docs.txt
skse_readme.txt
skse_steam_loader.dll
skse_whatsnew.txt
Skyrim_default.ini
SkyrimLauncher.exe
steam_api.dll
TESV.exe
VeryHigh.ini

Hi I recently reinstalled Skyrim along with mods and I have a similar problem. When launching SKSE alone the game start normally without any problem, but when I launch it through MO the game crash as soon as it gets to the main menu. I tried to launch it with and without my mods and the problem is the same.  The only mod in my data file is a texture replacer, and removing it changes nothing. Same for desactivating my antiviruses and firewall.

One strange thing I noticed though, is that when I launch Skyim normally or with SKSE it's fullscreen and in 1920x1080 resolution. When I do it through MO, it's windowed and in 1280x720.

Here are my .ini files. Another strange thing is that it list an incompatibility issue, but it wasn't detected by LOOT and the game launch properly without MO so I assume that it must be a false warning.

Im really lost here, maybe it's tied to Windows 10 or something, please if someone can figure this one Im sure that it'll help a lot of people.

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

[Display]
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
bAllowScreenshot=1

[Audio]
fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0
fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0
fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0
fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0

[GeneralWarnings]
SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

[Combat]
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=0
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=0
bReflectLODTrees=0

[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
iRadialBlurLevel=0
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=1
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=2500.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=1
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=3600.0000
fGamma=1.0000
fDecalLOD2=1500.0000
fDecalLOD1=1000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=500.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000
fLightLODStartFade=1000.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=0
iMultiSample=4
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=0
bDrawLandShadows=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=3072.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=4096.0000
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=3
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=10
bFloatPointRenderTarget=0
sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+"
bFXAAEnabled=1
iShadowMapResolution=1024
fShadowBiasScale=0.3000
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iAdapter=0
iPresentInterval=1
iShadowFilter=3
bShadowsOnGrass=1
bTransparencyMultisampling=0
bDeferredShadows=1
bDrawShadows=1
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=3000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=1
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=1.0000
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=1
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iDifficulty=2
[interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=0
bGeneralSubtitles=0
fMouseCursorSpeed=1.0000
bShowCompass=1
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0125
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=1
bMouseAcceleration=1
bUseKinect=0
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=750
[saveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=0
fVal6=1.0000

EDIT :

Forget that, I fixed it by using MO to launch the Skyrim Launcher, then I was able to use it to run SKSE just fine. Looks like it was a ini problem.

Edited by Knoloa

So, having been unable to correct the problem through simply reinstalling everything, I decided since I had a virgin hard-drive floating around to try this all again on there. Running Windows 10 now, I finally got Mod Organizer to run SKSE normally with no mods installed. Huzzah! However, this almost immediately presented a new problem (which technically falls outside the scope of the original question by a small margin, so if I need to post this separately let me know and I will, moderators): I installed around 20 mods to see if MO could handle running those through SKSE, booted up the game and while it seems ok initially, after about 30 seconds my computer and video card fans start running like crazy and the game slows down to ridiculously low levels. I tried reducing the game resolution down to a pretty small window to see if that would help at all, but it did the same thing again. Most of the mods installed are texture replacers for the player and npcs, and I am not using ENB at all. This never happened when I had these same mods installed, plus a ton more and ENB through NMM, so that leads me to believe that MO must be making the game use up a lot more resources than it normally would. Or does anyone else have an idea why this would be happening?

Additional problems I just discovered: Although I followed tutorials for both of these to install correctly with MO, when I hit new game (I took a chance of letting my fans run for a bit so I could see what happened) neither FNIS nor SKYUI work. I'm getting errors that I have FNIS V0.0.0 and that my Skyrim version is too old (SKYUI error code 1). I've checked the versions of all of these and they are what they should be. Any ideas?

Edited by Aerandor

This behavior doesn't have anything to do with Mod Organizer. Verify you have all drivers installed properly and that you're using the latest video card driver for Windows 10. If the video driver comes from Windows Update, install the latest non-beta driver from the manufacturer (AMD or NVidia).