Problems with using TESVEdit, Proccers with Mod Organizers

souHad

Question

When I'm using Mod Organizer, if I install a buttload of mods, certain software when launched through Mod Organizer won't work. So far, TESVEdit and all proccers fail, but nothing else does. In the case of TESVEdit, says "Fatal: Could not determine my documents folder", while with the proccers, when importing the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch, throw a MissingMaster error, stating that it's missing the master Dawnguard.esm. LOOT, WryeBash, and FNIS all work just fine however, so I'm quite lost.

If I disable enough mods, the problem goes away. However, certain mods seem to take "priority", by which I mean that if I have 200 mods installed, and I disable one of them, TESVEdit works fine. However, if I disable a different mod, it still doesn't work. I assume this is the same case with the proccers, but I discovered that before I had any proccers installed.

I've searched far and wide on the internet, but I haven't found any solutions through google. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

13 answers to this question

Can you provide details of the installation paths, UAC settings and your modorganizer.ini and any logs from these attempts? The fact TES5Edit is saying it can't find your 'documents' folder is a worry to me. It sounds like you have some odd setup with your system. Are all your games legitimate copies installed in the correct fashion?

Also I note you have posted this on Reddit and said "Tannin just announced that he'd stop answering questions from the community."

While he has said he will not answer questions asked in PMs and email, he most assuredly does answer questions here and on the Nexus, aside from maintaining a bug-tracking forum for MO. Perhaps you could amend that to your comment there?

Thane: 254

Dragonborn: Mod Organizer and Skyrim are installed to their default locations. I purchased Skyrim legitimately through Steam. I haven't made any modifications to modorganizer.ini, and I have Mod Organizer set to run with administrator privileges. As far as I'm aware there's nothing unusual about my system's setup.

To be more specific with the TESVEdit error, it launches, the Fatal error occurs as a popup. When I click ok, in the Messages box the following is displayed

TES5Edit 3.1.0 starting session 2015-05-22 20:03:17
Using Skyrim Data Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\
Using ini: 
Fatal: Could not find ini

Also, I edited my Reddit post, and I apologize for any misunderstanding it may have caused

Ok, let's look a little closer at this TES5Edit error. You may need to provide a screenshot of that fatal error and possibly ask in the forum for that tool. Additionally providing details of where it is installed and whether Windows has UAC active and what access rights it is started under will help.

If any tool is started with higher access rights than MO, MO won't be able to see it in the process list and therefore won't be able to parse path and file details to it for use.

One obvious reason for that tool not finding any INIs is because there aren't any. Have you at least started Skyrim from the desktop before doing so from within MO. The initial set of INIs won't be generated properly until that step is taken.

Assuming that has been taken care of, I'd still need to see your logs from MO. The 'logs' folder under the 'ModOrganizer' folder is where they are found. You should find a mo_interface.log and at least one ModOrganizer_<timestamp>.log. The latest of those logs will help isolate what is triggering this error.

ps. A minor detail, 'Thane' & 'DragonBorn' are just titles, in the same way your current title is 'Prisoner'. Not an issue, just clarifying it.

And pardon my rudeness for not saying so earlier... Welcome to STEP.

Ah my bad GrantSP, thanks for the clarification.

None of the things you suggested are the problem, for the simple reason that by uninstalling enough mods (by unchecking them in the left hand pane) the program works just fine. When I only used STEP Extended (which had a mod count of around 150 I believe) TESVEdit runs without error, as do the proccers. I also went through the logs, there was nothing unusual that I could see.

Here's mo_interface.log:

20:49:35 [D] ssl support: 0
20:49:35 [D] Working directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer
20:49:35 [D] MO at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer
20:49:36 [D] looking for plugins in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\plugins
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "bsaExtractor.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "checkFNIS.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "diagnoseBasic.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "gameFallout3.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "gameFalloutNV.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "gameOblivion.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "gameSkyrim.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "iniEditor.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "installerBAIN.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "installerBundle.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "installerFomod.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "installerManual.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "installerNCC.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "installerQuick.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "NMMImport.dll"
20:49:36 [D] loaded plugin "previewBase.dll"
20:49:38 [D] loaded plugin "pyCfg.py"
20:49:38 [D] loaded plugin "proxyPython.dll"
20:49:40 [D] game path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim
20:49:40 [D] managing game at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim
20:49:40 [D] setting up configured executables
20:49:40 [D] configured profile: STEPCustom
20:49:40 [D] initializing tutorials
20:49:41 [D] loaded language fr
20:49:45 [D] interface Local Area Connection 5 seems to be up (address: 2002:1800:32b9:0:9c50:7399:c47c:27b2)
20:49:45 [D] localization file gameFallout3_fr not found
20:49:45 [D] localization file gameFalloutNV_fr not found
20:49:45 [D] localization file gameOblivion_fr not found
20:49:45 [D] localization file gameSkyrim_fr not found
20:49:46 [D] displaying main window
20:49:46 [D] this version is newer than the current version on nexus (1.3.5.0 vs 1.2.18.0)
20:49:52 [W] not saving lists during directory update
20:49:52 [D] C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\profiles\STEPExtended\modlist.txt saved
20:49:56 [W] plugin STEP Extended Patch.esp not found
20:49:56 [D] C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\profiles\STEPExtended\plugins.txt saved
20:49:56 [D] C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\profiles\STEPExtended\loadorder.txt saved
20:49:56 [D] C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\profiles\STEPExtended\lockedorder.txt saved
20:50:12 [D] interface Local Area Connection 5 seems to be up (address: 2002:1800:32b9:0:9c50:7399:c47c:27b2)
20:50:12 [D] save C:/Program Files (x86)/Mod Organizer/webcache/cookies.dat
20:50:12 [D] C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\profiles\STEPExtended\initweaks.ini saved
20:50:12 [D] C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\profiles\STEPExtended\lockedorder.txt saved
20:50:12 [D] save C:/Program Files (x86)/Mod Organizer/webcache/nexus_cookies.dat

I attached the timestamped file, because it's absurdly large ModOrganizer_15_05_23_00_03.txt

hmm... so we're getting back to @GSDFan's question of the number of active plugins.

I just now realised you've already answered that with 254. That's the limit and needs to pared back with some serious merging. Did you notice your log says your STEP Extended patch is not loaded? Also you have the HighResTexturePack plugins active and they don't need to be, just have MO handle the BSAs.

More than likely then that fatal error in TES5Edit is due to exceeding the plugin limit.

I'd be interested to see verified what mods need to be de-activated only in the left-hand pane that would affect TES5Edit, as that only deals with plugins, and the number of those is independent of the left-hand pane. You could be disabling mods with no plugins in the left-hand pane and that won't make a scrap of difference. Same with the proccers. I can't see why they should fail simply based on mods installed but the number of active plugins (right-hand pane) might have some bearing.

I don't think it's to do with the limit, because it'll give me the error even if I have around 220 mods, and back when I was using Nexus Mod Manager, it worked right up to the 255 esp limit. I assume the same is true with the proccers, but I'm not certain because back when I used the NMM, I didn't use proccers.

I am aware that the STEP Extended patch isn't loaded, and that's purposeful. I'm not running STEP Extended right now, I'm running it plus a couple dozen other mods, and it conflicts with one or more of them and causes the game to freeze on boot. I'm trying to figure out which mod exactly is causing that issue, but at the moment it doesn't concern me that much.

I'm also aware that disabling mods without any esps in them won't impact TESVEdit, but that's not what's happening, since I have all modded textures and meshes in one massive mod.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about the HighResTexturePack, I didn't know that.

Ok we have a number of things going on in this thread. Can we establish that with your full modlist and active plugins MO will at least start and run the game?

Secondly we need to track down this TES5Edit error. Can it be attributed to anything unrelated to MO, such as the number of plugins and/or their dependencies?

Lastly you mentioned a proccer throwing a 'missing master' message. Can this be down to an incorrect load order rather than a MO specific issue?

If we can at least isolate and remove one of these, preferably the first, then we can make some progress.

Mod Organizer will start and run the game with a full modlist and active plugins. It will also properly run all other software, with the exception of TESVEdit and proccers.

I do not believe this TESVEdit error is unrelated to Mod Organizer, since it never gave me any hassle when working with Nexus Mod Manager, regardless of my plugin count.

I can also absolutely confirm that the proccer error has nothing to do with load order.

As a test download the current stable, v1.2.18, manual installation archive of MO and extract it to a location other that the program files folder. Do not apply any type of admin settings to MO. Run MO and go through the first time things. Go into the settings and point the downloads to where your current downloads are and install a few minor mods. Set up TesVedit and see if it runs for you.

It works just fine.

However, I did find something that works. I used SMC to make a merged texture set, but I made the mistake of including ESPs in it. In total, there are 20 in the file, and when I unchecked SMC, the proccers and TESVEdit ran just fine.

So, now I have a question. The only plugins in SMC are visual modifications. Is it safe to run the Dual Sheath Redux and Perkus Maximus proccers without those mods installed, and then install them afterwards?

It works just fine.

TesVedit in the new MO works now or is this the old MO?

However, I did find something that works. I used SMC to make a merged texture set, but I made the mistake of including ESPs in it. In total, there are 20 in the file, and when I unchecked SMC, the proccers and TESVEdit ran just fine.

I can't say if this is good or bad. Depends on the mod and if it had any scripts involved.

So, now I have a question. The only plugins in SMC are visual modifications. Is it safe to run the Dual Sheath Redux and Perkus Maximus proccers without those mods installed, and then install them afterwards?

As long as you are sure that there aren't any records that one of the reproccers uses, I don't see any problems with this.