Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

I've paid for some mods before that were source engine stuff, but those were put through QA and had professional support behind them after Valve allowed those to change money. A la Gone Home or Dear Esther. If something that was DLC sized and had that same amount of scrutiny put behind it, then I would consider paying for it, but it better be some DLC sized mod like Falskaar and it better be like $5 or less. This 1.99 for an armor when I've already acquired Immersive Armors for free isn't going to cut it. Oh and that armor is only obtainable through the console? WTF?

I will also no longer help fix or report bugs for said mods even after they are released free as it will support the paid mod indirectly.

This is biggest issue I have. We aren't getting paid to support these mods if they have problems. 

I've paid for some mods before that were source engine stuff, but those were put through QA and had professional support behind them after Valve allowed those to charge money.

This too. Far as I've read this will be an unregulated and unsupported venture by Steam and/or Bethesda. The only "recourse" is a 24 hour refund period.

I can see a lot of purchase, copy files, refund going on in the near future unless it's encrypted somehow.

Damn, just saw this on the /r/skyrimmods thread for Steam Workshop. It's from the Workshop page about payments:

Q. Is there a minimum revenue I must earn before I can receive a payment? A. Yes. There are costs associated with issuing each individual payment as well as potential bank fees charged to you upon receiving money that make it prohibitive to pay out for small amounts of money. Therefore, we may hold your payment until a minimum of $100 payout is earned.

A bunch of people waiting till it hits $100 are going to be very angry.

The thing is though, people would likely understand that they'd not get a trickle supply from someone like Valve and that it would be lump sum, at least for a while. That part of only paying once you reach $ amount X is just business sense, really. 

This is despicable. 

Welcome to the app store. Where **** is free and anything worthwhile is behind a bloody 99 cent pay wall and still doesn't work right.

Im afraid if I say anymore I may go off the deep end. 

This is also where people start pirating paid mods by putting them on other sites.

You think its bad now? Put a pay wall in front.

Im am never going to support this but I will be fighting against it.

In my own words STEP should NEVER encourage this level stupidity (purchasing mods).

Donations are fine but outright paying for something, no. 

I will leave this site if it ever accepts it as a normal because it messed up and you should have already realized this.

I will also no longer help fix or report bugs for said mods even after they are released free as it will support the paid mod indirectly.

This is biggest issue I have. We aren't getting paid to support these mods if they have problems. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you guys, but you're saying that you'll happily report bugs and otherwise support free mods on Nexus, but if the author uploads the same mod to steam for a fee (even those, like the "Better Combat AI Donation version") then you'll stop supporting that mod?  If the author continues to provide the mod for free than what exactly has changed from your perspective?  Not reporting bugs is going to hurt the free version as well as the paid.  This doesn't make any sense to me.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you guys, but you're saying that you'll happily report bugs and otherwise support free mods on Nexus, but if the author uploads the same mod to steam for a fee (even those, like the "Better Combat AI Donation version") then you'll stop supporting that mod?  If the author continues to provide the mod for free than what exactly has changed from your perspective?  Not reporting bugs is going to hurt the free version as well as the paid.  This doesn't make any sense to me.

No, that's not what I mean. I'm talking about mods that are ONLY behind paywalls or mods that were free and went behind paywalls. I would support Wet & Cold v1.4x that is the current verison on the Nexus, but would not support v2. That would be the author's responsibility, since the way I see it, is that someone paid for that support.

I guess if Nexus wasn't so extreme about money, authors wouldn't feel the need to do this now? I mean, they aren't even allowed to encourage people for a little donation.

DarkOne has already hinted that they are considering implementing an ad-based payment system for mod authors and making changes to the page layouts to make the donation button a bit more prominent.  I suspect this will push those sort of plans forward.

No, that's not what I mean. I'm talking about mods that are ONLY behind paywalls or mods that were free and went behind paywalls. I would support Wet & Cold v1.4x that is the current verison on the Nexus, but would not support v2. That would be the author's responsibility, since the way I see it, is that someone paid for that support.

Okay.  That makes sense :)  And I agree with you, though as much from a purely practical standpoint as anything.  Since I doubt that I'll be buying any mods, if there isn't a version available for free, then there's really no way for me to support it.