Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

Quote from Chesko

"Due to recent events and the way that the community and others have reacted, Valve and Bethesda's handling of the situation, and other external factors, I have made the decision to exit the curated Workshop. I have contacted Tom B at Valve to remove my paid content immediately."

Quote from Chesko

"Due to recent events and the way that the community and others have reacted, Valve and Bethesda's handling of the situation, and other external factors, I have made the decision to exit the curated Workshop. I have contacted Tom B at Valve to remove my paid content immediately."

I read his open letter and felt for him and understood his wish to make some money from his mods. I didn't expect this move. I believe some donations are in order. This is really great!

I asked Chesko "personally" (no I don't know him, I just sent him an email) before he posted all the explanation, and I actually feel really sorry for him. The NDA crap really hurt him a lot. And he definitely didn't deserve all the *********. He now even also hinted at the possibility of leaving the modding scene (good job Nexus idiots).

The takeaway messages from all of this are (the way I see it):

1) Large amounts of Nexus users are disgusting retarded <insert the worst profanity you can think of>

2) This model of monetizing modding does not frigging work. Not on Steam at the very least. I am looking forward to whatever Nexus has in the works though.

Edited by Octopuss

Robin (Dark0ne) just posted that the Nexus will be upgrading their donation system. In the short term, mod authors can add a pop up to their downloads with a donation link. I would not be surprised if at some point an optional auto-donate-on-endorse system is added in the future.

That would be pretty good.

I found it pretty stupid how people would get banned right away if they even hinted about donations in past. This is now changing, and is one of the very few (if not the only) good changes the whole Workshop drama brought.

Valve really screwed the mod authors for doing the non-disclosure agreements with them over the pre-existing Nexus mods (many of which were already announced and in the works before being refocused towards being put on the Steam Workshop and also already designed without profit in mind).  We are talking about public relations with an internet community, modders who are about free-sharing, suspicious bunch of people towards "the-man"/etc.  Then you get two of the top modders in on this and have them monetize pre-existing HIGHLY popular mods and prevent them from being open with the community about the new plans...  Wow - what a great way to infuriate everyone and bastardize the mod artists in the view of many modders.  On top of that, do a 25%/75% BS system to pay the mod artists.  I can say more, but I'll stop there.  Piss poor way to handle things and I bet someone in Valve thought they were a genius when they came up with the whole scheme.

Edited by oqhansoloqo
  • +1 3

Did you see this part of it, tacked on at the end? : "Real-time update - I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable."

I'm wondering - what if Chesko decides that he wants to make an "update" to the mod?  Then uploads a bogus file that just includes a txt file with a copy of that acsii text that's been nauseatingly posted everywhere recently.  Then his mod won't actually be there anymore.  lol

Edited by oqhansoloqo