Advice on new display

dreadflopp

I have a Viewsonic 27" monitor which uses the same IPS panel technology as the Asus 27" you are looking at. I do like the larger display a lot for game immersion and a bigger desktop. It did raise my GPU usage; I'm looking forward to the next generation graphics cards to be able to use all of the Skyrim graphic enhancements I'd like to use.

Well, sadly 24" is too small for the distance I sit from my display (about 2 meters). On my current display I halfed the resolution. 50" would be about right for 1080p and pixel density.

Is there a site that shows which panel is built into which product?

prad.de is probably the single best site for monitor reviews. They go into such silly amounts of detail that they make just about all other sites look like rookies. Beware though the technical lingo is high, but if they say something is good, it most likely is very good. 

They do not cover every single monitor, but tend to focus on one panel, which is then shared among several models in certain lines. Always worth a check. 

Prad.de helped me quite a bit when researching my current monitor. As did just general google searches. The ASUS model number end with certain letters and you'll want to avoid some of these. Problem is, it's been so long since I did that research that I can't remember which letters to avoid to tell you. You'll just have to dig in and do some good ol'research. I literally researched nearly every component in my case before making a decision on it. That takes a lot of time; however, the end result is well worth it.

Nice with more. But somehow I think the lack of reviews is a general thing among the review sites. Nobody really cares making reviews of the budget versions that are only meant as office computers displaying .. the office package. There the only relevant parameter is... can it turn on.

The computers we have at my work... I can see even the windows login screen colors are off because they perhaps cover like 50% of the RGB space! :) 

I stumbled upon https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ a couple of times when searching for displays. Prad.de seems to be a german site only now. The english reviews and news are really old.

I was about to buy a screen today but since STEP was down I couldn't see the displays you all recommended so I decide to wait, which may have been wise. I am thinking about staying on 1080p and 24" to save some gpu power. I am going to test my gpu and cpu load and vram use today though when I play. I have done some research during the day and it doesn't feel like a good time to upgrade the pc. Next generation psu's feels worth waitng for (intel skylake) and I feel like it's better to wait awhile for graphic cards with more vram to be cheaper if I want higher resolutions on the display. I'll have to test this though. As I said, I have 3GB vram with my current card. If I find that it has vram to spare when I play Skyrim I might upgrade to 1440p.

If I go with 1080p I'm thinking about Samsung S24D590PL, Asus PB248Q or Dell S2415H

Edit: AMD Freesync and Nvidia gsync seems to be mostly for TN panels. There are some IPS panels with this technology but they are to expensive for me.

Edited by dreadflopp

The prad coverage is the main reason why I asked about panels. Prad also tends to neglect the value range of products. The last panel I boutght was also a rebranded panel that would have been a lot more expensive otherwise.

It would actually be cool if displays where customizable. I would like to only buy the panel and then decide myself which connectors and other features I need (which would actually just be display port and free sync, even resolution scaling can be handled by the GPU).

Edited by Spock

The prad coverage is the main reason why I asked about panels. Prad also tends to neglect the value range of products. The last panel I boutght was also a rebranded panel that would have been a lot more expensive otherwise.

It would actually be cool if displays where customizable. I would like to only buy the panel and then decide myself which connectors and other features I need (which would actually just be display port and free sync, even resolution scaling can be handled by the GPU).

Like the project ara smartphone but for displays. Would be cool :) 

I don't understand what you mean with prad? Are you saying you use it to find rebranded cheaper displays with the same panel as the more expensive displays or are you asking if you can use it that way?

I did some performance testing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxyxmuo9t03bzw5/Screenshot_2.jpeg?dl=0

This test was done playing in dwemer ruins and outside. The picture shows that my cpu is fine. I use about 2400 mb vram but my gpu is pretty heavy loaded, mostly around 96%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0htotyrmy613mu/Screenshot_3.jpeg?dl=0

This second test was done by spawning ten mages and three dragons in Solitude. The cpu is still fine. Vram use is a little higher.

So what do you think, can I upgrade to higher resolution without upgrading the gpu or should I stay on 1080p?

Edited by dreadflopp

I have triples. one is a 50" Sony 3d TV and the other 2 are just 46" TV's. I'm wanting to get 3 matching displays. It will be hard to go down to 27" monitors. would you rather have 3 - 27" monitors that are 120hz, or 3 - 50" tv that are only 60hz. My other problem im having is I have a kick ass surround system hooked up to my computer since its running through my sony so that makes it a tough choice also.

Like the project ara smartphone but for displays. Would be cool :) 

I don't understand what you mean with prad? Are you saying you use it to find rebranded cheaper displays with the same panel as the more expensive displays or are you asking if you can use it that way?

I did some performance testing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxyxmuo9t03bzw5/Screenshot_2.jpeg?dl=0

This test was done playing in dwemer ruins and outside. The picture shows that my cpu is fine. I use about 2400 mb vram but my gpu is pretty heavy loaded, mostly around 96%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0htotyrmy613mu/Screenshot_3.jpeg?dl=0

This second test was done by spawning ten mages and three dragons in Solitude. The cpu is still fine. Vram use is a little higher.

So what do you think, can I upgrade to higher resolution without upgrading the gpu or should I stay on 1080p?

Project ara seems interesting. I think it would be even easier for displays because you do not have to make the thing as small as possible.

What I was trying to say is, that prad usually does not cover very many (mostly any) products in my price range. So I was asking if someone knew a site (different from prad) that tells you what panels are bult into which models.

I'm struggling at 1600p with my r9 290 (aiming for 30 FPS), this is with a rather demanding ENB though. 1600p or even 1440p is significantly more demanding on the GPU, it' half way to 4k.

Project ara seems interesting. I think it would be even easier for displays because you do not have to make the thing as small as possible.

What I was trying to say is, that prad usually does not cover very many (mostly any) products in my price range. So I was asking if someone knew a site (different from prad) that tells you what panels are bult into which models.

I'm struggling at 1600p with my r9 290 (aiming for 30 FPS), this is with a rather demanding ENB though. 1600p or even 1440p is significantly more demanding on the GPU, it' half way to 4k.

Since you have a better gpu than me it feels like it's better if I stay with 1080p. Maybe I'll buy a cheap Samsung display and upgrade at the end of the year.

If you go to tftcentral.co.UK you'll see panel search. There you can search for a display model and find which panel it uses and then search for that panel to find other displays that uses that.

Edited by dreadflopp