Will it run on my system?

Boss1138

Question

11 answers to this question

At a glance it should, but avoid large textures and pay particular attention to optimizing your texture files: you only have 1GB of VRAM. Take performance measurements and walk around after finishing the "graphical" section of the STEP guide to see how things are running. If everything checks out fine you're probably good to proceed with the rest of the guide without many issues, and checking before proceeding will potentially save you time. As mentioned in the guide, the Skyrim Realistic Overhaul and the Skyrim Flora Overhaul are the most VRAM intensive mods in STEP, so you might want to avoid them. Avoid using an ENB preset as well, and stick with ENBoost.

Bethesda Performance Textures (and here) look nice and are a lighter alternative to some entries in STEP. (The textures are good enough that I use them, even with 3GB of VRAM). I also use Skyrim Performance Plus.

Vanilla Reduced Textures will also help.

I use this SweetFX preset instead of an ENB preset, modified to suit my tastes. It's much more lightweight and will help disguise the low resolution textures. There are other sweetfx presets on the Nexus, so take a look around. Dynavision helps by adding in a nice, lightweight depth-of-field effect. SweetFX will still lower your FPS slightly, though: just nowhere near as much as an ENB preset would. If you want to take the SweetFX advice, wait until after testing your setup before adding it in.

Edited by Harpalus

I have a 780Ti and it laughs at even the most intensive ENBs. Of course I don't get 60 FPS everywhere and don't expect to, but I push out a solid 40ish all the way through even in seriously heavy places like Falkreath and Riften areas.

They should have lowered price wise with the 900 Series being around. Of course if your wallet can stretch to a 900 series, or even one of Team Red's offerings, then that would be better again.

The trouble is computer building gets addictive. You get a better card, then you need a better mother board to handle it, then the power supply needs beefing up to provide MOAR POWAR! then the processor bottle necks and you need to upgrade that, then you really push the boat out and get liquid cooling going and before long you have something that is an absolute rock crusher...

Until some joker comes up with the "super-duper-4-graphics-processor-12GB-uber-mega-Titanic-runs-Witcher3-at-120FPS-everwhere" card to rule them all, and the cycle repeats...

We've all been there, haven't we, people? You know who you are... :D

That's not me. When I build gaming systems, I build them to last 3 to 4 years out. I've only cranked about 2/3rds of the power out of my system and it still plays very strong. But then there's Witcher 4... but I don't plan on getting that one anytime soon...not even in the next year.

I meant Witcher 4. But it seems people got my message :)

And Neo is actually right. It's basically graphics cards that are still moving along. 

I could easily run a 980 in my rig but the 780Ti seems to be handling things well enough. :)

Edited by Nozzer66