Help choosing Perk mods not buggy (not needed expert rank in modding)

hardtroll

Question

Hello there,

After playing several hours on perkus maximus, trying to make it run without bug with 260 others mods..... I have to realize that it was almost impossible for me.....some perks don't works, my weapons stats changes from 36 too 54 without any reasons ..... for a NON-EXPERT like me, Step-extended+several mods works perfectly, but adding perkus maximus in the end was the one step too much for me.

Now I decided too remove this mod (wich is amazing I know....) and would like too have your advices about adding some mods too make the game more fun about perks but not too buggy or incompatible for "novice " like me. SO after some research...I would like too have your experiences about those mods and how you play the extended step version :

-syynnxxs is buggy with the Ice Magic speed bug

-SPERG is good but not enough perks for me, especially if you play skyrim and all the add-on......

-Skyrim Perk Extravaganza looks really good but not so much information on google about it

-DUT-ExpandedPerks can also be a solution, buy just adding rank to keep the game longer on reach high perk...

-Forget SKYRE and PERKUS of course

-everything else, mods I don't know about ....

So what's about you ??? Someone can gice sme tips too make the game more fun without breaking my head too much on installation and compatubilty ???? How do you make your game more exiting about perks ??? GIVE ME YOUR SECRET !!!!

PS: sorry for my frenchy english

Edited by hardtroll

10 answers to this question

I don't post often, but I do rely on STEP often and fix conflicts pretty obsessively. I've played with Requiem, SkyRe, and now PerMa for a while, but I always find that they're large, a little bloated, and poorly thought out in places, even if they're all good in other respects. Requiem has a great early game but conflicts with almost everything, has forgettable perk trees, and a broken endgame (the standard advice is to "start a new character". I think this is poor game design), and SkyRe and PerMa try to do too much for my taste. So far I like PerMa best of the three, but I prefer a more lightweight approach that focuses less on new spells and more on core gameplay. You mentioned wanting "more perks": I think a better approach is to tweak the community uncapper to slow down leveling. I've never tried it, but SkyXP (modified to give less experience) might be a solution. I recommend one of these three perk trees: all of them are lightweight and have few conflicts with other mods. All three are very stable, and the first two in particular have few conflicts to resolve in many setups. Skydie won't let you get a new perk without going to sleep first, which I enjoy - it makes me appreciate getting perks more.

• SPERG is the most popular one. I don't mind it and it has some neat features. I find that it often relies on "gimmicks", however. In trying to make every perk feel unique, I think that it often ends up with perks that are either of limited situational value, or are only tangentially related to the perk tree (and school of magic) that they're located in. I quite like some of the gameplay, though: destroying armor with two handed attacks is just plain fun. SPERG doesn't often conflict with much, and usually you'll be fine if you just place it low in your load order. (This applies equally to all three of these). Check for conflicts anyways, of course.
  • TTRSO is my preferred perk tree, and it receives surprisingly little attention. It's very well thought out and well balanced. The Restoration tree, for example: SPERG wastes perks here on buffing allies (how is that related to the in-game Restoration magic?) and instant kills of low level undead (which I usually kill almost instantly anyways). TTRSO has perks that make all healing magic harm undead and make necromantic healin harm living things, which I think fits in better with the lore and opens up new ways to use existing spells. It neatly fixes some gameplay exploits (such as free magic through enchanting), and makes new playstyles possible (like playing a staff only character). Almost every other gameplay overhaul simply ignores staffs, meaning most people just don't use them often. I like that TTRSO tries to fix things like that instead of adding in new gimmicks and unnecessary spells.
  • I used SkyRealism - Perk Trees for a while. It deviates the least from the vanilla perks and feels like an improved, rearranged set of vanilla perk trees. It balances Smithing and crafting by making them larger perk sinks, for example, and the perk trees are fairly well laid out. This one requires the most attention of the three, however: it's not updated at all, so you'll need to forward some UKSP changes and some Weapon and Armor Fixes changes. It also has a few small bugs, and gets even less attention than TTRSO - two of the last comments were both made by me four months ago. Once you fix things up though it will have few conflicts with non-perk mods (if any).

Hopefully that helps! I actually started writing a lengthy comparative review of SPERG and TTRSO -- I finished the magic trees, but I haven't finished it because I doubt there would be much interest in it. I highly recommend ensuring your load order is conflict free with Tes5Edit: it won't help with bugs caused by the mod itself, but you'd be unpleasantly surprised by how many mods reintroduce vanilla bugs by not forwarding UKSP changes, for example. Even wonderful, clean mods can end up looking comparatively bad if the mod author stops updating them, as then the new UKSP changes aren't merged.

Edited by Harpalus

If you watch DirtyWeasel's videos on Perma, it'll work like a charm. Even as a relatively experienced modder I found them useful.

Look for DirtyWeaselMedia on You Tube. (am @ work so no YouTube for me here...)

Aside from that the only other one I have any experience with is SPERG which I actually found quite good.

As Harpalus said, TTRSO is great and very well though out and balanced. Heavy armor has a higher armor cap than light armor. A character focused on magic can choose perks that favores having a staff equipped. A rogue can choose a perk that has very high backstabbing multiplier when backstabbing with a knife. To name a few things. This mod still surprises me with how well thoghtout it is even though I used it for a long time.

I too recommend using it with the community uncapper to slow down leveling. You can install the mod better leveling if you don't want to tweak the uncapper yourself.

Edited by dreadflopp

I have been use SPERG since I could walk. It seems as though you rule it out, but in my humble opinion, it is really good. As Harpalus mentions, sometime you wonder why a perk was put in a given tree. But with the Skyrim Community Uncapper (which is pretty much required) SPERG is amazing. It is balanced to a high degree, it has some cool features, in the Speech and Pickpocket trees for instance. The automatic perk system works really well. And magic is balanced as a part of the mod, although I think only the smallest amount of Perk overhauls has left magic in it's pathetic vanilla state.

Due to my epic love for SPERG, I have almost exclusively used it. The only other one I tried, was ACE (with the recommended spawn thingie as well) which was a horrible experience to be honest.

So my view on his is limited, but I can only but recommend SPERG with the highest regards!

~Sincerely

Halde 

I am not at home now, hollidays until 6th,  not so much time for internet, but I read all of your comment with very much interest.

I have nerver heard of TTRSO before, sounds really good for me.

I have played with SPERG before, but not enough perks make the levelling less exiting.....

Nobody speak about skyrim perk extragavanza, I hope some feedback about it.....

Thanks all of you, waiting for more suggestion even so !!!!

Hey Harpalus, 

I am back home and will try TTRSO first. What do you think about uncapper with this mod : do I need it, and what kind of ini you think is good ?

The author's advice is to not use it, or to install it and only use the uncapping feature (default INI).

Yes, this mod works with the Community Uncapper. Although, if you want any "balance", I'd refrain from using it to uncap the base skill maximum of 100. TTRSO will benefit from having an higher "effective" cap on skills, like Enchanting caping at 100 but effective up to 300 for example. 

I wouldn't recommend using Better Magic alongside TTRSO. It's already semi-integrated in my mod and you're gonna have conflicts.
Edited by Harpalus

I am using TTRSO with the uncapper and the mod Better levelling which provides a .ini file for the uncapper. Better levelling slows down levelling which imo is way to fast if you want to play all dlc with the same character. No balance problems for me this far.

Edited by dreadflopp