SkyProc Patcher Failure

MagnificentToaster

Question

I'm running SUM for Dual Sheath Redux and Patchus Maximus, through Mod Organizer (on an admin account, yes).  It worked on Monday, it stopped working on Wednesday.  Literally the only changes I made between Monday and Wednesday were: adding and removing a couple of mods, deleting a MO profile, and merging a couple of mods in TES5Edit, none of which were in any way related to any of the SkyProc mods I was running.

The problem I'm running into is: SUM attempts to run both DSR and PaMa. DSR gets as far as Adding Masters From Contributors, then skips through the last couple stages and closes out.  PaMa either fails to run entirely or skips through all stages and closes out, creating a (nearly) empty file.

This is what I've already done:

Update to Mod Organizer 1.2.18

Update to Java Runtime Environment 8u31

Run jarfix.exe

Add all security permissions for all users to Skyrim install folder

Reinstall SUM 1.3.2

Reinstall Dual Sheath Redux 1.7

Reinstall Perkus Maximus 1.1

Delete and re-add SUM to Mod Organizer executables

Delete generated SkyProc files and empty patch files

Set SUM allocated memory to 1024

Restart computer

Run LOOT

Run Wrye Bash

Disable TES5Edit merges

Tried running SUM a couple of times during this troubleshooting process, with the same result every time.  Also tried running DSR and PaMa directly from the Data tab instead of through SUM or .bat files.  Both patchers just close out entirely after hitting the "patch" button.

I tried the regedit fix here, but I'm getting hung up at this step: "In the left-hand pane, go down to this subdirectory of the regedit file: Computer ==> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT ==> Applications ==> javaw.exe ==> shell ==> open ==> command" -- my computer doesn't go down any further than javaw.exe

Edited by MagnificentToaster

15 answers to this question

When you do this, is there anything left over in your overwrite folder?  Before you doing what follows, move any custom patches (ie "SRLE Conflict Resolution", REGS, etc.) to another directory, if you have not made a mod from them and maintain them in your overwrite folder. After that, delete everything in the overwrite folder, and try running FNIS, LOOT, Bash, and SUM again.  DO NOT select combine patches in SUM. For me this solves most problems using SUM.

Thanks.  I emptied out my Overwrite folder and ran all the utilities again.  It generated the expected files for FNIS and Wrye Bash, and the SkyProc Patchers folder full of files for all three patchers.  It also generated the PatchusMaximus and DSR .esps, but the DSR patch is 8.4mb (and I seem to recall it being more like 16mb, before) and the PaMa file is only 54 bytes.

When I tried running PaMa through the 32bit "more heapspace" .bat, it gave me the error "java.lang.NullPointerException" and didn't generate any files at all.  Running DSR throws the error "This patcher requires Dual Sheath Redux.esp" which... is in my load order already, and is enabled.  (Note, I had to add both files as executables to MO to get them to run.  When I tried just executing them from the Data tab, they closed out without attempting to patch after hitting the "patch" button in the menu.)

I have no idea what DSR's issue is, but apparently the Null Pointer whatever means I have a glitchy mod in my load order?  Should I go through testing my recent mods to figure out which one is causing that issue?

Well you'll have to narrow it down to which mod is causing the Null Error. Try following my PerMa pack in my signature if you're running something like SR:LE + REGs or something similar. I'll eventually get to making one for just STEP Core/Extended Eventually it's just a pain. You'll need to rebuild your bashed patch before running PaMa then DSR (my recommended patching order). The latest version of SUM works for me though.

"Literally the only changes I made between Monday and Wednesday were: adding and removing a couple of mods, deleting a MO profile, and merging a couple of mods in TES5Edit, none of which were in any way related to any of the SkyProc mods I was running."

Exactly, which mods did you merge? Try using the unmerged esps and not the merged one.

I merged a couple of mods with their compatibility/addon .esp's, for example the ~20 files in mjharper's Khajiit Speak mod.  Those can't be related to the problem, though (whether or not I did the merges right), because I completely disabled them in MO's left pane when I started troubleshooting.

I'm going to go through disabling all the mods I recently added or updated until I (hopefully...) find out what's causing the Null Pointer Exception. :S  Is that likely to also be affecting the DSR patcher's inability to find the main DSR plugin?

EDIT:

So, with the smallest possible load order, I'm still getting the Null Pointer Exception with PaMa and that "please enable Dual Sheath Redux.esp" message with DSR.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
PerkusMaximus_Master.esp
Wintermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp
PerkusMaximus_Mage.esp
PerkusMaximus_Thief.esp
PerkusMaximus_Warrior.esp

When running either patcher, when it "imports" mods the screen indicates importing Skyrim.esm and Update.esm, and nothing else after that.  DSR errors out after importing, and PaMa errors out on "Scrolls and staff creation".

I am not really sure this makes a difference, but you also stated you updated to the latest java. Did you use the 32 or 64 bit one? I might be worth checking into.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, java installs in a new directory. In MO, click the cogs button on the upper left, click SUM, and makes sure the binary for java points to the one you think you are using. For me its: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_31\bin\javaw.exe

Edited by DanimalTwo

Yeah, I have 32 bit Java.  The MO binary points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_31\bin\javaw.exe

I deleted and reinstalled MO fresh, and drilled my load order down to just the original .esm's, SUM, PaMa, and DSR.  SUM wouldn't run either of the other patchers at all under those conditions, but PaMa and DSR run just fine, so I'm completely out of ideas.

I'm going to keep testing my load order to find out what's breaking PaMa and DSR, but since I already tried eliminating all my recent downloads, updates, and file edits, I suspect it's going to turn out to be something I was using just fine before.  I'm kind of sick of working on this troubleshooting project (this is the third time I've had trouble with SkyProc in MO since the 1.2.16(?) update that broke it in January).

If nobody has any other suggestions I guess I'm going to have to try NMM next.  :confused:  Thanks for the help, though.

So hopefully someone knows what has happened to me. I haven't played Skyrim in a while so it was pretty much untouched. I decided to make a new game a while ago and it ran fine. In order to do that however I had to disable Helgen Reborn and enable it a bit after Helgen was done. Since I use SUM and Helgen Reborn is part of that I decided to disable that as well then reenable it at the same time as Helgen Reborn, I did the same thing with the Batched Patch.

So I'm ready to have my save all ready now, I turn on Helgen Reborn, SUM, and Batch Patch. Only now the main menu is gone, there's no text or anything. So I run LOOT to make sure everything is in order, run the Batched Patch again, and run SUM. When I run SUM and click merge mods along with run LOOT however I get this error that I have never seen before:

LOOT: Error
Error: Game-specific settings could not be initialised. libloadorder failed to create a game handle. Details: Dual Sheath Redux.esp : File is empty.

I have no idea on what this is. I don't understand what's going on. I literally haven't played Skyrim in weeks; all I done since then is turned on MO, disabled HR, SUM, and BP, played the game which worked fine, turned on HR, SUM, and BP, and the game went to Hell.

Edited by Crimson13

So hopefully someone knows what has happened to me. I haven't played Skyrim in a while so it was pretty much untouched. I decided to make a new game a while ago and it ran fine. In order to do that however I had to disable Helgen Reborn and enable it a bit after Helgen was done. Since I use SUM and Helgen Reborn is part of that I decided to disable that as well then reenable it at the same time as Helgen Reborn, I did the same thing with the Batched Patch.

So I'm ready to have my save all ready now, I turn on Helgen Reborn, SUM, and Batch Patch. Only now the main menu is gone, there's no text or anything. So I run LOOT to make sure everything is in order, run the Batched Patch again, and run SUM. When I run SUM and click merge mods along with run LOOT however I get this error that I have never seen before:

LOOT: Error

Error: Game-specific settings could not be initialised. libloadorder failed to create a game handle. Details: Dual Sheath Redux.esp : File is empty.

I have no idea on what this is. I don't understand what's going on. I literally haven't played Skyrim in weeks; all I done since then is turned on MO, disabled HR, SUM, and BP, played the game which worked fine, turned on HR, SUM, and BP, and the game went to Hell.

If you have anything in your overwrite folder, delete all files and directories except custom made patches. Then run FNIS, LOOT, create Batch Patch. Finally run SUM, but as Nozzer66 stated, go into SUM options and uncheck run LOOT and uncheck merged patches. Merging patches, will only cause problems. Then set options for individual SkyProc patches such as DSR and create your patches.