SMW questions and help

hishutup

Question

I created this template which is very much unfinished because I always wanted to give it a shot and I figured this may be a good time.

I don't know about you but this is very complex and my poor variable naming skills are really shining.

I want what you think. Is there a way to optimize some of the code. There are parts that can be broken off into other templates like the list thing. Now come to think of it, I think it should.

This should for any of the guides that are out there. If there is something specific that you want then I'll add it but right now my brain hurts because of this mess.

I'm not going to rip out code so that the template become more generic because I developed it for myself, I will add though. I can make another one if it desired

Soon to come:

My mod install procedure.

variable header tags.

• Answers 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

There isn't a problem using #set to set a URL property, I was referring to not attempting to format the link with wiki markup like you were attempting before.

For the URL type, SMW will attempt to make a URL out of whatever is passed in. That means that it needs to be plain text. Wiki markup is not supported. You could in fact pass in "forum.step-project.com" and will convert that into a URL as "https://forum.step-project.com".

The reference to using #set is to be able to format a link inside a Text property. It's the only way to do it because the normal method of [[MyProperty::SomeValue]] will not parse the brackets correctly, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

I have read post #75 and #77 multiple times on I still don't understand.

On the Template:OblivionTempMod can I NOT change

[[OblivionNotes::{{{Notes}}}| ]]

to

{{#set:OblivionNotes={{{notes}}}}}

I cannot be sure what is going to be going to be going through the notes property.

Should I remove the notes and the description part and handle these two a different way because I am unsure what is going to be entered in?

And by handle them differently, I mean enter them like the "Install Instructions" on this page.

There is no problem using {{#set}} parser to help with creating links.

You can't use Wiki markup in a property with type URL.

I updated the template to use the {{#set}} parser. The property gets parsed ok, it's the display on the page that hasn't been parsed and shows the Wiki markup. Not exactly ideal, but going to have to live with it that way.

Hmm, I added something and I think it could have been significantly easier then what I implemented. Anyhow I added a requirements list that will also link them if the required mod exists in the guide.

There is one minor issue and that is if the mod does NOT exist in the guide then it wont display the requirement but I'll do that tomorrow.

Here is the temp guide

and now my head hurts... 

EDIT: well... I screwed it up :/

Edit2: I kinda got it but now I need to figure out a way to display other mod requirements that are not in the guide. May be there is a way to fudge it. :/

EDIT3: The next part that I am going to work on is handling the DLC. My first idea is to list DLC as a requirement but use hovering text to display the specific DLC

I'll need to ask some people on how to handle the logic for the OblivionRequirements and because it might be fairly large, I'll probably break it off into a separate template because of its complexity.

EDIT4: okay, I cannot figure out why there are multiple variables, I'll explain what I mean later.

EDIT5: I think I got a solution but we will see.

Well after trying for several hours, I finally got it....

I dont know why I had to do it 9 different ways but this one worked.

There requirements part is probably the most flexible thing that I have written the only thing that is locked in is the OblivionRequirements property.

Feel free to edit the "guide" here but the actual page is located here

If you want you can add mods here, the only thing I ask is can you make sure that it is a legit mod.

Here are the documented mods

I may make a standalone template but it is very situational.

I apologize if my thoughts are a little scattered... My brain is fried after staring at this text for about 10 hours :/

NFZPGOH.png

the link that happens is internal. I forget the what it is called but it'll scroll to the mod if the page is long enough. In a large guide like mine I have found that it may prove useful because I am unsure what the user is installing and I think this will make it clear.

I'll add something for DLC. I will probably have it so that if there are any DLC then the term DLC will appear in the list of requirements and when you hover over the text, it will display the DLC required.

EDIT: I added the DLC part. I think the next thing I need to add it a NSFW link checkbox

EDIT2: I found a bug in the template... the pain

EDIT3: fixed :/

EDIT4: added NSFW thing because why not.

You could set it all up under Linux (pick a distro you prefer, or try something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint or Fedora. Alternatively, you could set up the wiki under Windows. The main thing for you is establishing a functional dev wiki as a playground, so you don't really need to set up a server per se.

All of the installation and setup instructions should be documented on MediaWiki with even more info on other sites.

You may just want to wait for the dedicated dev wiki though, as that will spare you a lot of time on a whole other project. It should be up in the next couple of weeks or so.

The easiest route is to install a WAMP (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP) stack and you can develop on Windows.

On the Linux side, there are LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) stacks available as well if you want to setup a VM. For running a VM, I recommend VirtualBox.

A list of AMP stacks can be viewed here.

We will be setting up a Dev Wiki soon however.