SMW questions and help

hishutup

Question

I created this template which is very much unfinished because I always wanted to give it a shot and I figured this may be a good time.

I don't know about you but this is very complex and my poor variable naming skills are really shining.

I want what you think. Is there a way to optimize some of the code. There are parts that can be broken off into other templates like the list thing. Now come to think of it, I think it should.

This should for any of the guides that are out there. If there is something specific that you want then I'll add it but right now my brain hurts because of this mess.

I'm not going to rip out code so that the template become more generic because I developed it for myself, I will add though. I can make another one if it desired

Soon to come:

My mod install procedure.

variable header tags.

• Answers 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

@hishutup

The dev wiki will be a blank canvas.

@Z

$wgCachePages is a candidate for disabling which turns off client side caching. Page caches on the server are far less of a problem when developing a solution as the breadth of consumers is very low. A page cache is also updated when saving a page, so there is no real point to disabling that for development when saves are more frequent.

@hishutup

The dev wiki will be a blank canvas.

That is awesome and terrible at the same time. Awesome because I dont have to worry about breaking a public site and terrible because I have to recreate some basic templates.

Would you be willing to set up some starting namespaces or do you want everything as subpages located under the main namespace?

I think it will be possible to adapt but the project will also relay on those namespaces being known.

I guess I will need to find a name for this project.

The problem is that I am terrible at coming up with good names.

Please include me in the discussion or keep me updated on what the current decision is.

On the dev wiki, namespaces should not be a problem, since there will be nothing big and complex to break on the dev wiki.

Currently, we use STEP: namespace for the guides, so that is probably where we would house other games as well; however, we may well want to parse into STEP_TESx, STEP_FOV and whatnot eventually, so it is worth considering.

@ hishutup

I am glad you are picking this stuff up and applying it to other games ... keeps us thinking about the bigger picture ;)

@ hishutup

I am glad you are picking this stuff up and applying it to other games ... keeps us thinking about the bigger picture ;)

I would like it to become a unified solution for Bethesda games but that will require me to ask a lot of questions from many people which will make this a large project even though, it isn't that bad.. I do understand that it is impossible to please everyone but lets see how close I will be able to get. 

The project will likely lack polish but that is because I am terrible at web design.

The first thing that I am working on is what options should be in the mod dictionary form and what should not.

What I mean is, if a mod requires a script extender, that is an example of something that is applicable to the mod dictionary. If there is a short description then that would be an example of something that is guide specific.

I have notes but they are not ready because they are still notes.  I may make another topic that is specific to the project development rather than asking question. I don't know, we'll see.

It is a breakdown of the properties used by smw templates. If you want to set up a smw structure for other guides, that will show you what properties and types might apply and to what templates they can be attached. The talk page has this and the actual page shows the greater smw structure.

May I ask something? Not that I propose where or how this will be used, but I'm just curious if it is possible.

In all the guides is it possible to have a variable, say something like: modlist position, that is assigned to the mod to indicate where in the left-hand pane of MO that mod best should be? The thing with it though is, to save it from just being a static number that will need updating of all the mods if any are removed or added, it gets updated automatically to reflect the re-positioning. In the same manner as the TOC is automatically generated when a new heading is added, the modlist number updates after each mod addition or removal.

Does that make sense?

hmm,

Is the install order the exact same as the guide order?

If so, yeah

This would be at first iteration

{{#vardefine:modlist|0}}
then for each install slot have...

MO Priority: {{#var:modlist}}{{#vardefine:modlist|{{#expr: {{#var:modlist}} + 1}}}}
That should return a counting number for each iteration :D

You can even use a template which may make things easier.

I'm not 100% sure, but yeah, pretty much the order they are installed is the order they should be. If not, since the actual order they are installed doesn't really matter then the guides could be reordered to reflect the modlist order, or the modlist order could be added separately for mods that are special and need their order fixed later.

Either way, I'm just looking for ways to utilise all of MO's special features and I look at the guides and can see that perhaps they aren't leveraging that feature as much as they could. Or maybe I'm just thick!