1.2.6 - Do we still need the NCC Downgrade?

DocClox

Question

Is the NCC downgrade still needed for 1.2.6? I'd assumed it wouldn't be but I'm getting errors installing NMM packages.More to the point, those errors go away if I re-apply the downgrade. So I guess the question becomes should I still need the downgrade package? 

Do you want to know about Fallout games as well? I've noticed fomods and .fomod extensions two levels deep are not handled by internal or external installer.

Good news is that the C# scripts are now working perfectly. I'm glad that skyrim mods don't use those things.

The mod was CBBE. I don't have the exact error, but it ran through the forms and then complained of not finding files inside the archive when it tried to do the installation. Worked fine after the downgrade.

In case it's relevant, I did just unpack 1.2.6 archive over the existing install.

Umm, you should have read the error message. ;) The CBBE installer is actually broken and can't install certain features. This is true for NMM as well.

This has remained undiscovered for 1 1/2 years and almost a million downloads because NMM doesn't report errors during installation, it silently skips over the files it can't install.

I opted to report such issues so that you can report them to the mod authors so they can fix their installers.

• +1 1

Ah, you know how it is. You get so used to clicking "ok" that you sometimes dismiss a box before your brain catches up and says "hang on, that was important". I did get the gist of it though, and if I'd been intending to make a formal bug report, I'd have repeated the installation and given exact text.

That aside, it raises a couple of points:

Firstly, CBBE reinstalled (without any reported error) using the downgrade. Do I take it that the 1.2.6 version would also have installed despite the reported errors? Or at least installed as well as NMM would have done it? 

Secondly, it might be helpful to give a bit of context to those errors, just so we can tell the difference between NCC not working and a bug in the mod's install script. Something like "The install script for this mod has reported an error - the mod may not be correctly installed". (Apologies if it already says that; I didn't see anything of that nature, but like I say I didn't get much chance to read it carefully).

Edited by DocClox

The error message says:

"File xyz couldn't be extracted.This probably means the mod is broken though you may still get partial functionality. Please inform the mod author. Detailed Error: bbb"

It explicitly states that the likely reason is a broken mod and that the mod author should be informed.

There is no way NCC could know for a fact that the installer is at fault, that would be pure arrogance so it says "probably".

There is also no way for NCC to know if / how much of the mod is going to work but in case of CBBE the installation through NCC works just as well as if you had installed it through NMM.

The error in case of CBBE means that the custom eyebrows weren't installed and this is true for every CBBE installation ever made through that installer, no matter which tool you used.

Again: the only difference between NCC and NMM is that NCC told you something went wrong and NMM didn't.

There is no difference between a CBBE installation made from MO and one made from NMM.

Thank you for clarifying that.  I didn't get a chance to read the message at the time and currently I'm at work and so can't repeat the exercise.

I hesitate to say this, but you seem to find my contributions tiresome. I'll be quite happy to shut up if I'm being a nuisance.

This is a simple, but really aggravating problem.

The path that the fomod installer is looking for does not match the structure of the archive itself. It's missing a slash. I'm looking into fixing this, as this may be as simple as adding in the missing slash to the file paths that the fomod script uses. I don't know what language the script is in, but I do have programming skills, and if the paths are high level in the code (i.e. written in english) I can fix this easily.The other solution would be to restructure the archive to match the error in the file path that fomod uses.Gonna try fixing the script myself first, if i cant get it to work, I'll try restructuring the archive. If it were not for Tannin putting in this error reporter, we would have no clue that this was such a simple, and potentially fixable problem.

EDIT: Looking at script now. It is java(at least it looks like it), and it is definitely a pathing issue.  Trying to sort out the logic and find exactly what the error is now. But first I have to understand what strings do what, so I can identify which one has the broken path in it. Just a matter of comparing the structure of the archive, with error that is presented, to identify which string is broken.I'm doing this. Just gonna take me a bit.

Edited by FalloutPrime

DONE!

I have fixed the script, (it's in C# btw, which is super similar to java.) I was right, it was as simple as the mod creator overlooking a slash that needed to be there for the file path of the brows to be correct.The install now works flawlessly. No errors reported.To fix,1) Simply download the edited script file I have linked at the bottom of this post.

2) Open the CBBE archive you get from nexus. navigate to the fomod folder (it will already have a script.cs file in it). Delete that file.

3) Drag and drop the new script into the same place you just deleted the old one from. Close the archive.

4) Place the edited archive in your "Mod Organizer/downloads" folder.

5) Open MO, install from the downloads tab.

6) Enjoy.

NOTE: I have only uploaded the script, and not just a fully working archive. You must download and edit the archive yourself. This is to save people that already have the archive from having to download it again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10sanzfrwh3q3br/script.cs

ALL HAIL TANNIN FOR MAKING AN ERROR REPORTER THAT MADE THIS FIX POSSIBLE!!!

Edited by FalloutPrime