Overwrite Mod

danielleonyett

Question

9 answers to this question

You could download Glary Utilities, get it at Ninite.com.

Install it and go to the advanced tab and under file management there is a file undelete function. If to much time hasn't passed the file will still be on the drive since your computer does not delete things, it just sets them to be overwritten.

If using Windows 7 deleted files will appear in your Recycle Bin. This maybe true of other Windows versions as well, I just have no way of verifying. Generally speaking, you should not have any files in your Overwrite folder, but actually many people including myself do. In my case I follow Neovalen's SR:LE, and the only critical file is the "SR compatibility patch.esp" which I created myself after many hours using TES5Edit. The other files/folders I delete whenever I make mod changes as they are easy to recreate. Running FNIS (Fore's New Idols in Skyrim), BASH, and SUM (SkyProc Unified Manager) generate all the other files in the Overwrite folder. For me if I make mods changes and do not delete all files in the overwrite directory except the SR compatibility patch, SUM will run into problems with the garbage left behind. If using MO correctly, the files in your overwrite folder are not critical and can easily be regenerated.

You could download Glary Utilities, get it at Ninite.com.

Install it and go to the advanced tab and under file management there is a file undelete function. If to much time hasn't passed the file will still be on the drive since your computer does not delete things, it just sets them to be overwritten.

I just tried Recuva a couple of hours ago. It did supposedly find the file and said it was in excellent condition, but TES5Edit and the CK refused to open it, lol! I think I'm just gonna have to start over again. That's what I get for unchecking the Save Backups box in TES5.... I just got tired of the TES5EditBackups folder always going to the Overwrite mod and getting the warning triangle in MO telling me there were files in the Overwrite folder. Course, there's probably a way to fix that too. I suppose I should check into that next! thanks!

If using Windows 7 deleted files will appear in your Recycle Bin. This maybe true of other Windows versions as well' date=' I just have no way of verifying. Generally speaking, you should not have any files in your Overwrite folder, but actually many people including myself do. In my case I follow Neovalen's SR:LE, and the only critical file is the "SR compatibility patch.esp" which I created myself after many hours using TES5Edit. The other files/folders I delete whenever I make mod changes as they are easy to recreate. Running FNIS (Fore's New Idols in Skyrim), BASH, and SUM (SkyProc Unified Manager) generate all the other files in the Overwrite folder. For me if I make mods changes and do not delete all files in the overwrite directory except the SR compatibility patch, SUM will run into problems with the garbage left behind. If using MO correctly, the files in your overwrite folder are not critical and can easily be regenerated.[/quote']

I do use WIndows 7 and, yes, when I go into files on my computer and delete them then they do go to the Recycle Bin. But I've found that files I delete from the MO UI do not go to the Recycle Bin, at least not for me....

Yeah, the reason I deleted the file from my Overwrite mod was because of recommendations to keep it empty. I guess MO now saves files back into the corresponding mod folder, but for some reason this particular file I had just would not conform to the new rules, lol! MO basically took the file OUT of the mod folder and stuck it in the Overwrite folder. And i kind of forgot that until about a millisecond after deleting it....

I always make a mod specifically for TES5Edit backups and put the backups in there.

Yeah, I had stupidly disabled TES5 from saving backups cuz i was tired of moving them from the Overwrite folder.... :facepalm: