ENBoost lowers framerate

hoyao

Question

ENBoost is lowering my fps. I have an i7 4700 with an Geforce GT 755m. With ENBoost disabled, my game runs at about 22-25 FPS on Ultra. With ENBoost enabled, it runs at 17-20 FPS. I guess with my hardware, I shouldn't expect high framerates no matter what, but ENBoost shouldn't lower them, right? I've tried disabling vsync, as well as the enblocal.ini from the Nexus, but that didn't help. Any ideas?

14 answers to this question

Is UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true set in enblocal.ini? This allows you to use enboost without any ENB effects on. Enboost should do nothing for your fps by the way. It just allocates video memory in a different way so you can load higher res textures without crashing, if I understand it correctly. If anything it should be normal for fps to drop when using ENB rather than boost it, imo.

Thanks

Fred

You need to use the Optimus Fix for ENB to work correctly.

Go to Skyrim directory, rename the d3d9.dll to d3d9orig.dll. Then get the Optimus fix from the nexus and extract the d3d9.dll to the skyrim directory and then run Skyrim. ENB turns off your GPU if you have an Nvidia Laptop gpu, so you have low framerate due to running on intel graphics.

Go to Skyrim directory, rename the d3d9.dll to d3d9orig.dll. Then get the Optimus fix from the nexus and extract the d3d9.dll to the skyrim directory and then run Skyrim. ENB turns off your GPU if you have an Nvidia Laptop gpu, so you have low framerate due to running on intel graphics.

How do I know whether I need it? I have never heard of any Optimus issues with ENB, so can you please tell me more or direct me somewhere were it is described in more detail? Also per pm if you want to.

Yes, I should've mentioned that as well. I'm already using the Optimus fix. Without it my game would just crash on my Integrated Intel card. Right now my FPS is at 17-20 FPS, but it should be much higher

How do I know whether I need it? I have never heard of any Optimus issues with ENB, so can you please tell me more or direct me somewhere were it is described in more detail? Also per pm if you want to.

If ENBoost is using your integrated graphics card instead of your high performance, dedicated card, then you should check out Optimus fix. You can find the Optimus fix here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/939886-optimus-fix/

If you say that your FPS without ENBoost is 22-25 but with it is 17-20 then there difference is about 4-5 FPS on average which means you have the grahpics elements enabled. I would actually be more worried about only having the non ENBoost performance to begin with.. sound like your game cant handle Ultra settings properly to begin with.

Try to lower amount of grass, and/or some draw distances, shadow resolution to get more. Also UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

If you say that your FPS without ENBoost is 22-25 but with it is 17-20 then there difference is about 4-5 FPS on average which means you have the grahpics elements enabled. I would actually be more worried about only having the non ENBoost performance to begin with.. sound like your game cant handle Ultra settings properly to begin with.

Try to lower amount of grass, and/or some draw distances, shadow resolution to get more. Also UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

Forgot to mention that I'm also using UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true. I'll try to lower to grass resolution, etc., but wouldn't my FPS still be higher without the FPS? I'm reading about people getting a 10-15 boost in FPS and even more from ENBoost. If I can get a 10-15 FPS increase, I'd definitely be willing to play on Ultra. I'd also like to take advantage of ENBoost.

With regard to graphics, would my game look better if I ran the STEP mods, but on medium settings, or if I ran Ultra on vanilla?

Well I can say where ever you heard that it is most likely a story where they forgot to mention a few details. ENBoost does not affect quality of what is rendered, it only allow you to use more memory for textures.

The quality in the setup is mainly draw distances, and shadow quality. Lowering any of those will increase performance. If you cant get a certain amount of FPS with vanilla then you will not get more by using STEP. If it will look better or not you are just going to have to try and see.

Well I can say where ever you heard that it is most likely a story where they forgot to mention a few details. ENBoost does not affect quality of what is rendered, it only allow you to use more memory for textures.

The quality in the setup is mainly draw distances, and shadow quality. Lowering any of those will increase performance. If you cant get a certain amount of FPS with vanilla then you will not get more by using STEP. If it will look better or not you are just going to have to try and see.

Does that mean I should leave ENBoost on even though it lowers my FPS? I don't expect ENBoost to make my game prettier, but I thought it would make it run faster.

If you got no interest in using high resolution textures there is no point in using it no. If you are just going to use vanilla textures then you will have more then enough memory in the default game process to not be concerned about memory related CTD´s.

Make sure you aren't using multiple forms of AF or or vsync or FPS limiters. I had a problem where I didn't realize that I AF on in enblocal.ini and had it on in Nvidia Inspector. Not only did it hurt performance, but I don't think AF was even working right.

Check that all the settings for certain things are in one place. Don't have them on in mutiple places and check Skyrim's INI, ENB's INIs, and nvidia Inspector.

Thanks, I reverted some of the changes I'd made to Nvidia Inspector, and that gave me a 5-7 FPS boost. Turning off Ambient Occlusion might have helped. I turned off AF everywhere except for in skyrimprefs.ini. In skyrimprefs.ini, every time I changed 'iMaxAnisotropy' to '0', it would revert back to '16' after I booted the game. Maybe it's because I have AF set to '16' in Skyrim Launcher. The really annoying thing is that 'sD3DDevice=' keeps reverting to "Intel® HD Graphics 4600" instead of "Nvidia Geforce GT 755M". Why can't I make my changes stick?