Skyrim Immersive Creatures 6.5.1 does not install with MO

wolverine2710

Question

Using W7 64 bits and 64 bits 7zip. Skyrim Immersive Creatures version 6.5.1 does not install with MO. Its around 623 MB and unpacked around 1913 MB. 7zip reports 2 006 050 853 bytes.

Fomod Installer:

Installing it gives the error 'extracting failed'

Fomod external installer (NCC installer).

Set prefer to false to force the NCC installer. The installer starts and opens a window. I select 'skyrim and DG' and the option 'dragonborn'. When I select finish/install the installer just quits without doing anything.

The zip file "Skyrim Immersive Creatures v6_5_1 NMM BAIN-24913-v6-5-1.7z" is OK and can be tested OK and also be extracted. As the structure is rather simple I just copied the contents to a created /mods/Skyrim Immersive Creatures" and restructured it.

Question:

Could somebody install the mentioned mod to see if the issue can be reproduced or that it is just on my system.

I can use that information for a bug report ticket I will create.

EDIT: I have this feeling it has to do with the 'unpacked size' of mod. Another mod 'interesting NPC's is also giving me a 'extracting failed' message for the fomod installer. Its unpacked size is 2 652 779 256 bytes. I have this feeling there is a link between MO which only supports 32 bits programs and the fact that 2GB is 2097152 bytes. SIC is around 2 GB and NPC's is more then 2 GB.

9 answers to this question

With fomod set to false, SIC exits without any message. I have an empty directory that went away after a refresh.

Interesting NPCs installed without an error message, but looking at the conflict tab it installed about 2969 non conflicted files than when set to true. This may be why I have some NPCs without armor.

Will have to test in game to see.

Thanks guys for all the testing. Really Appreciated.

It seemed as if I had gremlins lurking in my much upgraded MO folder. I installed a fresh MO 1.1.1 with the installer. As I didn't had changed the categories and I had an empty ovewrite directory  I simply copied the profiles and mods directory to the new MO directory.

Fomod installer: Install OK.

Fomod installer external (NCC based): Menu pops up but when the mod tries to install itself it aborts at some point. This most likely has to do with the memory usage as explained by Tannin in another thread of mine where I had problems installing a mod.

[spoiler=ncc and memory usage]

Octopuss: Did you install with the integrated installer or the external?

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCC installer fails for such a large file. The archiver has two mods of operation: In one it's ridiculously slow to display menus because it will extract files (i.e. images) individually so if the archive is solid it will extract the whole archive once for each file to display.

In the other mode it creates a buffer in memory for the whole file, then extracts the file to another buffer. Thus it requires archive-size * 2 Bytes of memory (esp. address space). Since it's compiled as a 32-bit app that won't work for archives > 2GB.

Please remember NCC is based on NMM code, I'm not touching that area of the code because then I will have to keep patching it every time I update.

@GSDFan. The spoiler explains why we can't install the mod and it looks as if my feeling that it was 32 bit related is true.

Fingers crossed and the exterminator is on the speed dial....

It worked fine for me, just give your system a lot of time (took almost 4 minutes to open it with NCC). It's not only a RAM problem, it's also your CPU (btw.). Opening that file might make you run out of RAM, but how fast you do run out of RAM depends (next other factors) also on how fast your CPU can do the 'math'. And how your mainboard is able to do the 'communication' between the two. And with what your OS is occupied else.

So, shortly:

1) make sure you disable windows aero for installing and optimizing mods.

2) if you are installing mods, download all in advance and copy-paste important infos into a .txt on your desktop, cut your internet - close all applications not needed (like browser, skype, dropbox, any other messenger, facebook whatever you have running, disable your real-time-Antivirus/Maleware-Software, eventually the Firewall) and you have ALOT more ressources to process MO or DDSopt

I am aware of the limitations of the software itself, but as mentioned, only files greater then 2gb should make troubles. Rest really is your system's limitations. Sometimes a new-start helps too. (clear cache etc.)

The other solution is here:

https://stepupdates.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/this-is-guide-for-those-of-you-using.html

Or this one:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#tab=Installing_Mods

Scroll to NMM Method, and be careful to follow each step. Perhaps, you help with reporting back your experience with this method xD.

I recall having to unzip SIC somewhere, then moving the files I wanted manually into MO overwrite folder and using right click "create mod from overwrite" option in MO, bypassing FOMOD entirely. didn't give much time thinking it was an issue.

Thanks

Fred

Perhaps, you help with reporting back your experience with this method xD.

I will have a look at it tomorrow, energy is gone for today.... I have 16 GB ram and a core i7-2600K @4.0 Ghz. Opening the menu what not the problem, happens fast, but then afterwards it aborts. Gonna do some RTFM tomorrow, thanks for the feedback..

Perhaps' date=' you help with reporting back your experience with this method xD.[/quote']

I will have a look at it tomorrow' date=' energy is gone for today.... I have 16 GB ram and a core i7-2600K @4.0 Ghz. Opening the menu what not the problem, happens fast, but then afterwards it aborts. Gonna do some RTFM tomorrow, thanks for the feedback..[/quote']

It's some time, but i did try to recreate your problem (surely, your system isn't a problem). My system is a i5-3470 @ 3.5 Ghz and 8 gb ram. I did not succeed in recreating. Did you change any other settings in your MO ? I used the standard settings as MO comes at installation - tried both 'NMM' installers internal and external.

Perhaps' date=' you help with reporting back your experience with this method xD.[/quote']

I will have a look at it tomorrow' date=' energy is gone for today.... I have 16 GB ram and a core i7-2600K @4.0 Ghz. Opening the menu what not the problem, happens fast, but then afterwards it aborts. Gonna do some RTFM tomorrow, thanks for the feedback..[/quote']

It's some time, but i did try to recreate your problem (surely, your system isn't a problem). My system is a i5-3470 @ 3.5 Ghz and 8 gb ram. I did not succeed in recreating. Did you change any other settings in your MO ? I used the standard settings as MO comes at installation - tried both 'NMM' installers internal and external.

Totally forgot, my bad.

On the brink of having a fully STEP 2.2.8 with all my mods installed. I have around 370, lots of texture replacers but also lots which spawn NPC's and wild life. Skyrim hasn't been that full of life here since I started mpdding. The new memory patch is a godsend. Knocking on wood, but its rock stable.

Have made a note so that I don't forget. Plan to have a look at it, in the evening when I have time.