Site Maintenance ×

Red Mountain Erupts

lubojart

Nice, I am not sure about the scale of Tamriel though, as it seems to get smaller with each new Elder Scrolls game, but I am not sure you should be able to see the red mountain from Skyrim or even Solstheim.  Especially if you look at the world with the scale that was in Daggerfall.

Nice, I am not sure about the scale of Tamriel though, as it seems to get smaller with each new Elder Scrolls game, but I am not sure you should be able to see the red mountain from Skyrim or even Solstheim.  Especially if you look at the world with the scale that was in Daggerfall.

Good point. Anyone cares to elaborate? I was thinking of using this mod, but now I'm not so sure...

Found a map of Tamriel with a scale, but I am not convinced that it is official though.  But it appears the east edge of Skyrim is about 250 miles from the Red Mountain, which means you probably can see the smoke gushing out of the volcano in a thin stream, but not the volcano itself, which should be a speck on the horizon.

Posted Image

But based on this map's scale the whole continent is about 2000 miles from Western Hammerfell to the Eastern coast of Morrowind.  Which seems rather small for such a diverse array of flora and climates.  So I am not buying it.  Given the range of weather from north and the south, the size of Tamriel based on Earth geography should be at very least 10000 miles (probably more) from the top to bottom to even remotely give such diversity to climate.  So I am not buying it.  You should not be able to see the Red Mountain from Skyrim if Tamriel wasn't limited in scale by the Game Engine.

Well, As for scale and whether or not you can see it. It would depend on a few factors. Distance being one of them. Weather and atmospheric clarity is another. And elevation of the person viewing as well as the elevation of the target. And finally the curvature of the planet has to be taken into account.

Now, Red Mountain is the largest volcano in Tamriel and according to a few maps I've seen, they all place it at about 200 miles from the edge of Skyrim.

Here's another map: (if you visit the actual like it's a really big image)

Posted Image

I haven't seen any info on elevation data for Tamriel. So, we can't take that into account.  We also don't know the size of the planet so can't take curvature into account. But let's just say it's similar to Earth.

Now. Seeing as it's the biggest volcano in Tamriel I'm going to equate it to Mt. Saint Helens and Krakatoa. When they blew their tops ash fell over 200 miles away. There would be no doubt you could see the ash cloud. As for the mountain itself, the closet image I could find was a photo of Mount Rainier. This was taken from the summit of Brunswisk Mountain in British Columbia, north of Vancouver. Approximately 195 miles.

(another really big image if you visit the image link)

Posted Image

So it very possible one could see Red Mountain from Skyrim.  As for the artistic size representation? Well, you can run from one side of Skyrim to the other in just a couple of in-game hours. So why not take a few artistic liberties to make a fantasy world look a little more interesting? But really? looking at the photo of Rainier; Red mountain size isn't that unbelievable. Especially since we don't have any elevation and size information. Who's to say Red Mountain isn't even bigger than St. Helens or Krakatoa?

Aye, I imagine it to be even bigger than Krakatoa, it is made from the heart of a divine after all! Artistic license is fine with me.

Just thought it was interesting to bring up the topic of scale. The scale of Tamriel is clearly dictated by the Game Engine at the moment, but what is really the scale of Tamriel? I suspect in Elder Scroll Online, to fit so many players, Skyrim will probably be much bigger, so maybe we will get closer to the actual scale of Tamriel.

I think the idea is really cool, but the plum of smoke is so large and the perspective just doesn't fit. I think if the artist had rendered it differently it might be more believable. If you could see the smoke from hundreds of miles away, it should either be very thin and indistinct against the horizon, or something like a large, formless enveloping cloud. For me its a no go because I just can't buy that 1) you can see the smoke from skyrim 2) even if you could, that it would look like something coming off a chimney.