Gamescom: CRYENGINE Demo Trailer

rootsrat

As much as gamers tend to bash EA for their dumb policies, I'd have to credit them for putting money into developing cutting edge game engines. That stuff isn't cheap to do either, with about 80-85% of game sales on consoles they could just step-child that type of stuff and let everything be some cheap port.

Am I the only one who thought the DoF was just nasty?

I'll admit the DoF wasn't great but the rest...

As much as gamers tend to bash EA for their dumb policies' date=' I'd have to credit them for putting money into developing cutting edge game engines. That stuff isn't cheap to do either' date=' with about 80-85% of game sales on consoles they could just step-child that type of stuff and let everything be some cheap port.[/quote'']

Agreed glad they didn't.

When I saw the first shot in the statue room, I seriously thought that it was live action footage for a few seconds. Man... I wish we lived in an alternate universe where Electronic Arts' retained the attitude, policies, and creativity that it used to have, but still with the Visual Effects of Awesome that were present in this trailer.

(On that note, I wish that universe also had Bullfrog, Origin, and Maxis still existing separately from EA, and still being creative in their own rights)

When I saw the first shot in the statue room, I seriously thought that it was live action footage for a few seconds. Man... I wish we lived in an alternate universe where Electronic Arts' retained the attitude, policies, and creativity that it used to have, but still with the Visual Effects of Awesome that were present in this trailer.

(On that note, I wish that universe also had Bullfrog, Origin, and Maxis still existing separately from EA, and still being creative in their own rights)

Bioware... a 1000x.

Its like anything else... you have to pay the development costs or the idea is just pointless.

Making a super great engine that can push the current technology to its limits have no place, since the vast majority does not have that stuff, and the ones that do most likely would just complain about lousy performance anyways.

In a perfect world the CEO´s of the various big gaming companies would get fired, and have to get a job outside of the gaming industry so new people with new ideas come into the scene.

There was a nice article a while back while the whole DRM issue was super hot, that the problem was that everytime a studio or company went down, then the CEO would most likely just get hired into another CEO position in the remaining companies, and take the old way of thinking with them hence we never really get anywhere.

One of the other big problems is the lack of private studios that exist. Publishers have carved out so much of the ownership in the industry that they can price out everyone else and make any private studio do as they please if they want money. I think Harmonix, Double Fine and Obsidian are the only private studios that are large enough to attract triple AAA budgets. I get that large scale investment is needed from publishers, but they have to much power right now, so hopefully Greenlight, Kickstarter, and the console indie channels continue to gain revenue in the next generation.