Vegetarian: A life-style change

TechAngel85

One of the things that I do is supplement additional protein a few times a week with a no sugar, 100% pure egg white protein powder. Cup of almond milk (can make yourself with raw almonds, water, and a good blender), 4 ice cubes, non-sweetened cocoa, scoop of protein powder, and a pinch of stevia. Makes an awesome Chocolate protein shake.

Guess what I'm making tomorrow! :P

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things that I do is supplement additional protein a few times a week with a no sugar, 100% pure egg white protein powder. Cup of almond milk (can make yourself with raw almonds, water, and a good blender), 4 ice cubes, non-sweetened cocoa, scoop of protein powder, and a pinch of stevia. Makes an awesome Chocolate protein shake.

Ditto! Well, my missus will be making this for me if I ask nicely :)

Also, I recommend you guys try quinoa - it'a a healty alternative to likes of rice and cuscus. Also, check out this article about using chia seeds to thicken your smoothies.

Also, I recommend you guys try quinoa - it'a a healty alternative to likes of rice and cuscus. Also, check out this article about using chia seeds to thicken your smoothies.

quinoa is great, I use it in a lot of dishes. amaranth is also a good alternative to wheat based products, and I've tried pasta made from it with great success.

I wouldn't be able to make any gains by eating plants all day.

A well balanced diet is where it's at. Besides, meat is delicious and there's no reason for me to give up eating it.

Sustainability is a problem that won't be solved by going fully vegan and I'd worry about health issues related to the lack of right proteins rather than the dangers of eating meat of any kind.

I have a lot of friends from college that are vegan and constantly posting about their vegan-ness. I have celiac so I think if I had to be vegan I might just off myself...

techangel, my roommates used to make cake with silken tofu instead of eggs, it was very good. "It's my protein mom!"

You must eat what you believe to be right for yourself, and listen to no-one else. Vegetarianism and meat consumption both have certain practical and physical advantages, and I don't hold with preaching to anyone (unless they try to annoy me). This is my first posting about veggie-ness online!

Aside from the rationality, though, and to be honest, I have a certain soft spot for the critters. I always liked George Bernard-Shaw's answer to why he was a vegetarian: "My animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends."

Good luck to you man. I'm no nutritionist but it isn't generally a good idea to go cold turkey on meat (or anything really) your body gets used to it. I've known several people who've gone vegetarian and the one thing they forgot to add to their meals are veggies that contain tons of protein.

They got headache's real bad kinda like what happens when or if you're used to coffee (I myself was used to hair killing; plant killing espresso) and stop you're body is used to caffeine and now you're not getting your fix.

I don't know if they're any good but here are some high-protein recipes

https://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/high-protein-recipes.htm

Also one thing you can use to substitute for I think it's eggs in cookies is to use apple sauce and I think baking powder. I've tried it before and to be completely honest I liked the taste better.

If I remember to I'll get on facebook (oh how I hate "social media") and ask some of my vegetarian friends and I think I have a cousin who is vegetarian for some recipes.

One of the things that I do is supplement additional protein a few times a week with a no sugar' date=' 100% pure egg white protein powder. Cup of almond milk (can make yourself with raw almonds' date=' water, and a good blender), 4 ice cubes, non-sweetened cocoa, scoop of protein powder, and a pinch of stevia. Makes an awesome Chocolate protein shake.[/quote'']

Quinoa is good, but expensive (at least it is here). Brown rice is much cheaper when you're on a budget.

I wouldn't be able to make any gains by eating plants all day.

A well balanced diet is where it's at. Besides' date=' meat is delicious and there's no reason for me to give up eating it.

Sustainability is a problem that won't be solved by going fully vegan and I'd worry about health issues related to the lack of right proteins rather than the dangers of eating meat of any kind.[/quote']

I didn't make the change because of "animal rights", "sustainability in farm animals", or any of those other, dare I say, "extremist" ideas. I switch out of pure desire to be vegetarian and a partial need. As I said, I won't be going 100%. I'll still have animal products from time to time (cheese, eggs, pizza, sushi, etc).

One of the reasons for the choice is because of how my body handles meats. If I eat any sort of prime meats (steaks, angus bugers, etc) then I can guarantee you that I'll be in the restroom most of night. My system can't handle these meats. Fish and poultry is about the only meat my system will take without issue. This is what started my research into vegetarianism. Once I had my hands on plenty of research, the choice was clear to me. I was meant to be a vegetarian and the added health benefits are just a bonus. As for easing myself into it, as you can assume from the info above, I ate a minimal about of meat in the first place so reducing it to what I have hasn't been and shouldn't be an issue.

@S4N

I make a banana, peanut butter, chocolate shake with my protein powder (which is soy based and flavorless so I can mix it into anything...even meals!)

@Phazer11

Coffee is my life-blood! I can't survive without it! Haha! Thanks for the link, too.

Quinoa is good, but expensive (at least it is here). Brown rice is much cheaper when you're on a budget.

I hear ya. Fortunately we have an awesome natural grocery here, and I can pick up a lb of most varieties for just over 3 bucks.

@S4N

I make a banana, peanut butter, chocolate shake with my protein powder (which is soy based and flavorless so I can mix it into anything...even meals!)

sounds yummy! I have to avoid peanuts at the moment, but I love almond butter. I also avoid soy because it's heavily GMO produced.

Oh yeah I cut coffee out I'm an insomniac and the stuff I was drinking could power a small country; I never got to sleep (Ever) with that stuff and nothing else seemed to do it for me so I just started to do without it. I still have trouble sleeping with low doses of some of the sleeping meds they use in hospitals but hey I'll have some cokes during the day and that helps a lot to substitute for coffee.

But no seriously next time you or someone you know bakes cookies ask them to try looking into substituting eggs for applesauce I was skeptical when I first heard it but it is so good. IT works in other baked goods too

I'm not a heavy meat eater I loathe fish and most steak (London Broil is my favorite though), I don't eat from McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc alot although I do occasionally like to indulge in some Krystals or Krystal Chicks. Hamburgers too unless I cook them myself on the grill or on the george foreman fat master then I can't stand them. I'm not opposed to vegetarianism but I have lots of allergies so have to be careful and meat is safe.

Good luck again I'll post if I hear from my cousin had to email her she lives up North more towards Canada I think so who knows when I'll hear from her and I messaged some other people I'll try to remember to send you some of the stuff they found helpful.

Hmm... do you eat a lot of mexican food cuz people where I live do and they seem to have that restroom problem. I think it has to do with clogging our systems with cheese and then flushing it with salsa made out of the sun.

Oh and what is plant killing espresso, did you actually kill plants with it, and where does one acquire such a drink?

Hmm... do you eat a lot of mexican food cuz people where I live do and they seem to have that restroom problem. I think it has to do with clogging our systems with cheese and then flushing it with salsa made out of the sun.

Oh and what is plant killing espresso' date=' did you actually kill plants with it, and where does one acquire such a drink?[/quote']

I actually dislike most Mexican/Spanish food so I rarely eat it. :P I hate spicy foods as i dislike my tongue being on fire with little hope of calming it. I also have a very low tolerance for spicy foods. It doesn't take much for it to be too spicy for me either.

If I ever come across a man eating plant the likes of which were in the movie Little Shop of Horrors' date=' I'll remember to grab some extra strong espresso. :P[/quote']

Haha! I watched the movie several times when I was younger. *admitted shamefully*

I made a vegetable stew the other night that was AMAZING! Rich, yet sweet from the sweet potatoes. It called for pumpkin but I don't care for pumpkin too much so I substituted it with sweet potato and it turned out awesome! I don't tell many people because it always ends up with me cooking for people, but I'm actually quite a good cook. I almost went to culinary school where they said I had "natural talent and instincts". But I keep that on the down-low! :ninja: I eventually chose IT because it's too hard to "make it" in culinary.