General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

Don't use the new beta 0.99 it's buggy

+1

It's horrible.  Wait for it to get fixed - then wait another few days to make sure it is.

Does not like Skyprocs at all and it's installers will fail.  Installing SkyUI 4.0 caused a serious corruption issue.  aMidian BoS 1.85 failed but also deleted the old 1.7 version.

Hmm.. I'm wondering what's wrong with my setup..

I could try moving skyrim "physically" to Kingston and link it to steam folder. Perhaps there's something with seperate drives or something.

Btw, are you using 0.12.9 or 0.99 Mod Organizer?

Bite the bullet and reinstall Steam on your SSD (and not in your programs file).  Then put Skyrim and MO inside it. Ideally you will have your OS on one SSD and Steam/Skyrim/MO on another - or so it seems to me.

Bite the bullet and reinstall Steam on your SSD (and not in your programs file).  Then put Skyrim and MO inside it. Ideally you will have your OS on one SSD and Steam/Skyrim/MO on another - or so it seems to me.

It's just that.. I've got 43 games installed from steam, all of which have been moved to HDD excluding Skyrim which is on another SSD. (Steam is currently on OS SSD and skyrim with mods on another)

That depends on how many mods you have installed. It takes long time for my Skyrim to start - I never actually measured it, but I would say 3 minutes until main menu appears! I have about 400 mods installed.

Well, I just measured mine and it takes 1 min 42 sec until Main Menu appears from pressing the RUN button in MO. Not that bad I guess - and that's on HDD.

That depends on how many mods you have installed. It takes long time for my Skyrim to start - I never actually measured it' date=' but I would say 3 minutes until main menu appears! I have about 400 mods installed.[/quote']

Well' date=' I just measured mine and it takes 1 min 42 sec until Main Menu appears from pressing the RUN button in MO. Not that bad I guess - and that's on HDD.[/quote']

Then there's most likely something wrong with my Skyrim installation or mods. If a HDD can beat SSD that easily.

E: I uninstalled Skyrim completely. Currently in progress of reinstalling Skyrim from DVD (afterwards patching through Steam) and hopefully getting SSD level performance after modding. This time Mod Organizer is going straight into Skyrim's folder which is going to be on the OS SSD but outside Program Files (x86) to remove any admin rights gimmick.

Two quick questions about DDSopt Texture optimising with Skyrim Revisited:

1) why is the Skyrim Revisited instructions for Optimizing The Bethesda Textures (https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited) so different from the STEP Guide instructions (https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#tab=Introduction)? Is one better than the other, or are they interchangeable?

2) the Skyrim Revisited instructions for 'Optimizing The Bethesda Textures: Step 1 extracting the files' don't make sense to me:

"Click the red [X] to deselect all files.

In the center text box, type "*.dds" and then click [Apply].

Click the green checkmark to select all filtered files.

Clear the center text box and click [Apply].

Click the [Process] button in the bottom right corner."

When I follow these instruction, for example with dawnguard.bsa, I end up with a load of *.dss files checked and then a load of other types of files unchecked. So why go to the trouble of the step: 'clear the center text bos and click [apply] if you are not going to select any of the files? I feel like I am missing something important.

That depends on how many mods you have installed. It takes long time for my Skyrim to start - I never actually measured it' date=' but I would say 3 minutes until main menu appears! I have about 400 mods installed.[/quote']

Well' date=' I just measured mine and it takes 1 min 42 sec until Main Menu appears from pressing the RUN button in MO. Not that bad I guess - and that's on HDD.[/quote']

Then there's most likely something wrong with my Skyrim installation or mods. If a HDD can beat SSD that easily.

E: I uninstalled Skyrim completely. Currently in progress of reinstalling Skyrim from DVD (afterwards patching through Steam) and hopefully getting SSD level performance after modding. This time Mod Organizer is going straight into Skyrim's folder which is going to be on the OS SSD but outside Program Files (x86) to remove any admin rights gimmick.

If you also have a large HDD, you might consider putting the MO download folder there so it doesn't clutter up your SSD.  I'm not positive you can do this but wish I had done it.  I like to leave downloaded mods in there for when I want to reinstall - something to consider with SR -LE coming up.  I can see a lot of reinstalls in my future.

statmonster, SR - LE = Skyrim Revisited - Limited Edition?

O_o?

Yes - you have to wash Neo's car before he will let you use it! :)

Or maybe it's Skyrim Revisited - Linux Edition - you will need to install a new OS to use it.  :wallbash:

Actually I think he is calling the next iteration Skyrim Revisited - Legendary Edition in honor of Bethesda's new release.

statmonster, SR - LE = Skyrim Revisited - Limited Edition?

O_o?

Yes - you have to wash Neo's car before he will let you use it! :)

Or maybe it's Skyrim Revisited - Linux Edition - you will need to install a new OS to use it.  :wallbash:

Actually I think he is calling the next iteration Skyrim Revisited - Legendary Edition in honor of Bethesda's new release.

Linux Edition, LOL! Jokes aside though, installing a new Linux OS is easy and doable in a few hours. I can get a Kubuntu up and running in less than 2 hours.

Wonder what Neo's progress with his reinstall is though...

Going slow, but only because I'm trying to figure out why ENB is stuck on stupid... all effects turned off = 40fps + stutter ... all effects turned on = 40fps with stutter.... no ENB = 60fps capped with no stutter.

Seriously? /sigh... SLI on or off... no difference. I'm at a loss and without ENB the game just isn't... sexy.

uGrids 5 or 7 ... same diff.

Shadow resolution 1024 vs 4096... same diff.

Interior / Exterior... SAME DIFF.

Unbelievably frustrating... anyone got any clues? Oh, and when I look at certain objects my fps drops to the 20's... wee! Even more fun. Doesn't seem to matter preset, same with both RealVision and Unreal Cinema.

Before anyone asks: Nvidia 314.22 drivers, directx up to date. Windows 8 Pro, 64-bit.