Wrong data path

YamiJustin

Question

I always struggle with this part. I have the right settings enabled. I have level32=1, cidgrass=cid, cathedral landscape complex grass for enb, and yet TexGen only allows me to select regular grass, not HD grass. Where did I go wrong? What settings or mods could I be missing? Following the Step latest guide using Skyrim 1.6.640

12 answers to this question

My issue is this I think: TexGen doesn't see all my plugins. It only sees the original and CC content, nothing else. I have Skyrim installed outside the Steam folder since I'm using an older version. EDIT: This has to be the issue. When TexGen loads all it loads is the default stuff, nothing I added. But there is no config to point it to a plugin list.

Edited by YamiJustin

21 minutes ago, YamiJustin said:

My issue is this I think: TexGen doesn't see all my plugins. It only sees the original and CC content, nothing else. I have Skyrim installed outside the Steam folder since I'm using an older version. EDIT: This has to be the issue. When TexGen loads all it loads is the default stuff, nothing I added. But there is no config to point it to a plugin list.

You need to install the game properly and use Backported Extended ESL mod for starters. The top of the current SkyrimSE guide mentions this. There's also SSE Engine Fixes Tweaks you need.

15 minutes ago, z929669 said:

You need to install the game properly and use Backported Extended ESL mod for starters. The top of the current SkyrimSE guide mentions this. There's also SSE Engine Fixes Tweaks you need.

So I'm screwed because of where Skyrim is installed. I can't "run" the launcher or anything because it won't allow me to because I disabled something so it won't update. I need to remain on 1.6.640. I installed 1.6.640 outside the Steam folder because I have no intention of updating it. But this is somehow making texgen not see my plugins, my full plugins. I ran the game after post processing and everything is working fine

Edited by YamiJustin

25 minutes ago, YamiJustin said:

So I'm screwed because of where Skyrim is installed. I can't "run" the launcher or anything because it won't allow me to because I disabled something so it won't update. I need to remain on 1.6.640. I installed 1.6.640 outside the Steam folder because I have no intention of updating it. But this is somehow making texgen not see my plugins, my full plugins. I ran the game after post processing and everything is working fine

You can maintain older versions of the game properly in Steam. Review this topic.

So I decided to scorched earth and reset the entire PC with fresh windows 11. I realize I'll need to reacquire the basics again like the Microsoft redistributable and all that. Question now is can I:

1) Launch Skyrim from Steam (it'll then update to 1.6.1170) and acquire the AE CC content

2) Delete the Skyrim files from the Steam folder and replace them with my clean 1.6.640 fresh backup

I can then disable a file in Steam to prevent Skyrim from updating. By doing this, surely the 1.6.640 guide will work 100% for me. Again, it DID work 100%, except for TexGen being unable to find my plugins.

I've had an issue with TexGen during my 2nd attempt to follow the STEP guide (2.2.0). In my first attempt I was on latest Skyrim SE 1.6.1170 and unfortunately I got freezes randomly (no CTD). What I did not have issues with is TexGen allowing me to select HD Grass.

During my 2nd attempt to follow the guide, I instead downloaded and copied Skyrim 1.6.640 to another location on my C drive. I then followed the STEP guide using 1.6.640 and all version-specific mods. All was well until TexGen. During this attempt, TexGen wouldn't allow me to select HD Grass, even thought I DID have Complex Grass for ENB installed and all other related mods from the guide.

I noticed that TexGen wasn't seeing the full plugin list for my 1.6.640, and only loaded up the regular plugins (main files, CC).

Here is my plan and hopefully someone can confirm it'll work. 1) I'll install Skyrim from Steam in the regular folder location. 2) I'll begin following the STEP Guide. 3) When it has me launch the game from Steam I will do so, and it'll update me to 1.6.1170. 4) After I exit out, I'll delete all data of Skyrim from the Steam folder, and swap it with the 1.6.640 backup. Doing this should work right? My biggest concern is TexGen once again not seeing my plugins (and with step guide there are like 450 plugins)

I believe my solution worked. The smoking gun test passed with flying colors. I actually followed another guide > started by installing and running Skyrim through Steam, updated to the latest, but then used 3 console downloads to revert the game back to 1.6.640. And I tried texgen early and it does seem to detect the newly added plugins I am slowly adding. Phew

On 7/6/2024 at 6:10 AM, YamiJustin said:

I always struggle with this part. I have the right settings enabled. I have level32=1, cidgrass=cid, cathedral landscape complex grass for enb, and yet TexGen only allows me to select regular grass, not HD grass. Where did I go wrong? What settings or mods could I be missing? Following the Step latest guide using Skyrim 1.6.640

Read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs which TexGen log and debug log to upload when making posts.

On 7/6/2024 at 3:52 PM, YamiJustin said:

This indicates TexGen using a different game data path. Checking or uploading the logs helps identifying such issues easily.

See the screenshot at https://dyndolod.info/Messages how the messages log prints a line Using [GAME NAME] Data Path.
messages-log.png

If the detected path is wrong, see https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Windows-Registry-Key how to update it.

On 7/6/2024 at 4:24 PM, YamiJustin said:

https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Windows-Registry-Key
In case a game version is used that does not seem to use a registry key, or if there are multiple active installations of the same game mode in different paths and constantly updating the Windows Registry via the launcher or manually with Regedit.exe is not an option, use MO2 Fix Game Registry Plugin or set the path to the data folder of the game with the -d:"c:\path\to\game\data\" command line argument.

On 7/6/2024 at 7:11 PM, YamiJustin said:

So I decided to scorched earth and reset the entire PC with fresh windows 11. I realize I'll need to reacquire the basics again like the Microsoft redistributable and all that. Question now is can I:

1) Launch Skyrim from Steam (it'll then update to 1.6.1170) and acquire the AE CC content

2) Delete the Skyrim files from the Steam folder and replace them with my clean 1.6.640 fresh backup

I can then disable a file in Steam to prevent Skyrim from updating. By doing this, surely the 1.6.640 guide will work 100% for me. Again, it DID work 100%, except for TexGen being unable to find my plugins.

This could have been avoided by RTFM which opens by clicking the "Help" button.

messages-log.png texgen.png

On 7/7/2024 at 12:58 AM, YamiJustin said:

Sorry, was unaware that there was a DynDOLOD section for my issues (which was my fault)

There also is a Forum button.