MO2 Virtual Folder Explorer not showing file

TomForStep

Question

I have a mesh in Helgen (helgenmud01.nif), which is missing its texture in-game (appears purple). When looking at it with Nifskope, I see the four used texture names and when manually extracting the vanilla Skyrim texture BSA files, I can find the listed texture files (two from Riften, two from Landscape folder).

However when I look for the file with the Virtual Folder Explorer, one file from the Landsacpe folder is missing. That may also be the reason why it's not loaded in-game.

The missing texture started after having upgraded from 1.5.97 to 1.6.1170 AE and then downgraded with Best of Both Worlds patcher. Could that be a reason?

2 answers to this question

The Virtual Folder Explorer only shows loose files. BSA archives are shown as simple files. The contents of BSA archives are not shown. If a texture is stored in a BSA file, it would not be visible by browsing with the Virtual Folder Explorer.

There is no Best of Both Worlds patcher to downgrade from 1.6.1170 AE (latest downgrade available is from 1.6.1130).

We don't know where your helgenmud01.nif comes from. Is it the vanilla mesh from Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa? How did you determine that this is the mesh used in-game?

How does the textures look when the mesh is opened in NifSkope?

Are you using mods? Are you using Skyrim Landscape and Water Fixes? Have you tried without any mods (other than USSEP)?

19 hours ago, Mousetick said:

The Virtual Folder Explorer only shows loose files. BSA archives are shown as simple files. The contents of BSA archives are not shown. If a texture is stored in a BSA file, it would not be visible by browsing with the Virtual Folder Explorer.

Ah yes, of course. Makes sense. Thank you for pointing that out.

19 hours ago, Mousetick said:

There is no Best of Both Worlds patcher to downgrade from 1.6.1170 AE (latest downgrade available is from 1.6.1130).

To be more precise, I used the method (requires several steps) described here by user "dizzyb2u". As a matter of fact, I did it again (thank god I had a backup) and I also installed the Cleaned Skyrim SE Textures for 1.6.1130. Before downgrading, I had the ones for pre 1.6. 

The issue is now solved, maybe either by correctly repeating the downgrade or because of the cleaned textures. Anyway, thank you for your support!