Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch and his edit to the english Skyrim

What do you think about USSEP modifications to the game? Should they be reverted to remain close to the original Skirim intentions? Are they big enough to be immersion breaker? I do not play skyrim in english so i would like to hear a first hand opinion of someone that's more eager to notice such modifications.
Please do not transform this on a discussion about the author of USSEP, he cannot modify his behaviour so it's not useful to ask him to change his interpretation of USSEP
I have seen this Reddit page and i'll definitely try to blend it to my translated version of Skyrim to play it with the story Bethesda released

Seriously? Are you trolling?

2 hours ago, framx2l said:

I do not play skyrim in english so i would like to hear a first hand opinion of someone that's more eager to notice such modifications.

If you're playing a localized version of Skyrim, why do you care about the English version of USSEP?

2 hours ago, framx2l said:

I have seen this Reddit page and i'll definitely try to blend it to my translated version of Skyrim to play it with the story Bethesda released

Good luck with that. The mods referenced in the reddit post you linked are not going to make the game any closer to "the story Bethesda released" (whatever that means), especially if you use other mods. And the main ones like Vanilla Plus Writing Purity Patch are in English.

Are you playing Skyrim vanilla or with mods? I'd suggest you simply play vanilla if you really want to get the purest experience.

Edited by Mousetick

No, absolutely not trolling.
I care about the English version because:
- when the translations are not available i modify the strings of text by myself

or

- leave some mods in English

From what i read the USSEP's author has his own view about lore and his patches that often are more about personal choices than bugfixing. I think that an unofficial patch should try to minimize the impact on the lore; like s.t.e.p. try to stay loyal to the vanilla skyrim appearence

Are you currently using USSEP? If yes, are you using the English version or a translated version for your language?

What does your load order looks like?

The controversial changes made by USSEP are very few and far between compared to the huge amount of bug fixes, balance and consistency enhancements it makes. The people who complain loudly and madly about USSEP are making wild generalizations and exaggerations. They're primarily motivated by a vendetta against the main USSEP mod author, and the redditors are prone to mob mentality.

In the list of mods you linked to:

1. Is completely undocumented. You're going to blindly trust that this mod is more correct than USSEP?
  2. Is in English language. You wouldn't notice the difference if English isn't your native language or you're not fluent in written English.
  3. Restores the original Ebony mine. But it's not more or less correct than USSEP. The vanilla game itself is inconsistent in the lore about the mine and it contradicts itself.
  4. Is not useful, unless you like to cheat and use exploits that make the game unbalanced. This particular exploit allows for ridiculous overpowered effects that were most likely not intended by Bethesda to happen.
  5. Ditto.
  6. Ditto.
  7. Restores the original hair color of one NPC. But it's not more or less correct than USSEP. The vanilla game itself is inconsistent in the lore about the NPC's hair color and it contradicts itself.
  8. Is itself an arbitrary change that is not faithful to vanilla.
  9. Completely inconsequential from a lore or story perspective.

You can decide to use USSEP or not, it's your choice. But don't take what you read on reddit for granted.

• +1 1
  • Like 1

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'm using STEP, etac, inigo and some hose mods. But i have not completed my modlist because it's longer than my spare time :D
I would have loaded the strings it modifies and would have compared with the Skyrim SE files...
Yes; i am fluent enough in written English. I could play Skyrim in English but at the end of the day having it in your native language (as much as possible) it's more relaxing and immersive so if needed i read and translate some parts from English ONCE so i do not have to do it every time when I'm tired.
Thanks for clearing me the perspective that there's not a consistent version from Bethesda itself

USSEP doesn't have separate string files. If you want to see the differences you need to load its plugin in xEdit and compare with vanilla masters for each record containing text. Needless to say, this would be very time-consuming.

The text changes that the English language version of USSEP makes are mainly corrections to punctuation, grammar, spelling, typographical errors and naming style inconsistencies. They affect the form, not the content. In some cases they correct or clarify the content such as wrong NPC or location names being used, or words missing.

I don't know where you got the idea that USSEP deviated from the game's original intentions or from the story Bethesda released. That is completely false.

I initially thought you were trolling because this topic has already been hotly debated to death and the questions you asked have already been answered many, many times over in the past years. I appreciate your asking for others' opinions on the matter, but frankly we are very tired of this debate and all the BS surrounding it. I'd suggest you do some more research online to get different views and opinions, from various sources, not only from reddit.

I'd also like to point out that solely focusing on one single mod (USSEP) is missing the forest for the trees. If you're concerned whether a mod preserves, or deviates from, the creators' original intent, you should consider all mods you're using. For example, ETAC is not faithful to the original game. Inigo is not faithful to the original game. WACCF, AI Overhaul, CACO, CCOR, Trade and Barter, RDO, etc. (all parts of STEP) are not faithful to the original game. Almost any mod(ification) by definition and by its very nature deviates, in some way or other, to some extent or other, from the original game. If you really want to experience the game in its purest (and its buggiest/jankiest) form, you should play it vanilla. USSEP is probably one of the mods making broad* changes to the game that improves it the most while remaining closest to the original.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll leave this discussion.

* Not to be confused with deep.

Edited by Mousetick
  • Like 2