Is CC content and DLC required for the Step SSE guide?

xFeywolf

Question

Hello!

I recently decided to do a completely clean install of Skyrim SE/AE (do not own the Anniversary Upgrade) and started following the STEP 2.1.0 Guide yesterday and want to make sure I haven't screwed anything up. My main issue is do I continue with the 2.1.0 STEP Guide despite not owning the Anniversary Upgrade, which is stated as a requirement in the 2.1.0 Guide, or do I revert back to the 2.0.0 Guide even though there is a giant red WARNING! label at the top of the STEP 2.0.0 Guide stating it is no longer supported? I just want to ask this now before I continue to ensure that I can either safely continue or if I have to completely reinstall everything again.

Best Regards,

xFeywolf

9 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, xFeywolf said:

Would it be possible to get a list of what pathces and other relevant mods I will need to be keeping an eye out for? I haven't really looked into what the AU has in terms of content as I've never looked into buying it before and have pushed off making any complete re-install/upgrade(s) in lue of the whole AE thing being so new when it was released and didn't want to break my game which was fully functioning at the time.

The Step patches and possibly a couple other mods. We just don't support anything but the latest game + all DLC or keep track of such details for this reason. It's too much maintenance for us to tailor our guides and processes to support multiple flavors of any single game.

You will need to install the complete guide and check issues in xEdit to determine what is dependent on the latest DLC ... or simply purchase the AU content.

30 minutes ago, xFeywolf said:

Hello!

I recently decided to do a completely clean install of Skyrim SE/AE (do not own the Anniversary Upgrade) and started following the STEP 2.1.0 Guide yesterday and want to make sure I haven't screwed anything up. My main issue is do I continue with the 2.1.0 STEP Guide despite not owning the Anniversary Upgrade, which is stated as a requirement in the 2.1.0 Guide, or do I revert back to the 2.0.0 Guide even though there is a giant red WARNING! label at the top of the STEP 2.0.0 Guide stating it is no longer supported? I just want to ask this now before I continue to ensure that I can either safely continue or if I have to completely reinstall everything again.

Best Regards,

xFeywolf

Always follow the latest guide version, since we don't support old versions. This should be indicated at the top of all guide pages with links to latest guide if you aren't in the latest guide.

44 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Always follow the latest guide version, since we don't support old versions. This should be indicated at the top of all guide pages with links to latest guide if you aren't in the latest guide.

What should I do in terms of the required AU content considering I do not own the Upgrade?

1 minute ago, xFeywolf said:

What should I do in terms of the required AU content considering I do not own the Upgrade?

All of our SSE guides since 2.0.0 require the AU content, as that is the 'full' version of SSE with all DLC. We have always only supported the base game with all official DLC available at time of release.

8 minutes ago, z929669 said:

All of our SSE guides since 2.0.0 require the AU content, as that is the 'full' version of SSE with all DLC. We have always only supported the base game with all official DLC available at time of release.

Seeing as I do not own said content, should I stop following the 2.1.0 as I currently cannot purchase the AU and revert to an older guide (even if the guide in question is not supported) or, despite having the most recent version (1.6.640 as it is a completely fresh download) without the AU is it still relatively safe to continue with the 2.1.0 guide?

I unfortunately need an answer to the question to know whether or not I should should stop what I am currently doing as I am slowly making my way through the 06-Models and Textures portion of the guide. The only CC content I do "own" is the free content that was given to all users with the 1.6 AE Update.

3 minutes ago, xFeywolf said:

Seeing as I do not own said content, should I stop following the 2.1.0 as I currently cannot purchase the AU and revert to an older guide (even if the guide in question is not supported) or, despite having the most recent version (1.6.640 as it is a completely fresh download) without the AU is it still relatively safe to continue with the 2.1.0 guide?

I unfortunately need an answer to the question to know whether or not I should should stop what I am currently doing as I am slowly making my way through the 06-Models and Textures portion of the guide. The only CC content I do "own" is the free content that was given to all users with the 1.6 AE Update.

As I said, we don't support anything but all DLC, which are available to all. The AU update is $20 I think, so you will need to obtain it to use our patches and certain other mods. Otherwise, you can certainly use the guide, but you will need to modify the patches and a couple other relevant mods on your own.

The same was true when Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC were released.

17 minutes ago, z929669 said:

As I said, we don't support anything but all DLC, which are available to all. The AU update is $20 I think, so you will need to obtain it to use our patches and certain other mods. Otherwise, you can certainly use the guide, but you will need to modify the patches and a couple other relevant mods on your own.

The same was true when Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC were released.

Would it be possible to get a list of what pathces and other relevant mods I will need to be keeping an eye out for? I haven't really looked into what the AU has in terms of content as I've never looked into buying it before and have pushed off making any complete re-install/upgrade(s) in lue of the whole AE thing being so new when it was released and didn't want to break my game which was fully functioning at the time.

Edit: Or rather, is it stated in the guide which patches/mods need to be taken into account?

Edited by xFeywolf

4 minutes ago, z929669 said:

The Step patches and possibly a couple other mods. We just don't support anything but the latest game + all DLC or keep track of such details for this reason. It's too much maintenance for us to tailor our guides and processes to support multiple flavors of any single game.

You will need to install the complete guide and check issues in xEdit to determine what is dependent on the latest DLC ... or simply purchase the AU content.

The text I quoted from you in red is the answer I was looking for, thank you! I will definitely look into this.

One last question is in regards to the Grass Cache Fix -- When reading the mod page for said mod it states having to do A LOT of different stuff in order to get that mod to work properly. Are the advanced steps in that mod necessary or am I simply installing the Grass Cache Fix and installing it into MO2?

1 minute ago, xFeywolf said:

The text I quoted from you in red is the answer I was looking for, thank you! I will definitely look into this.

One last question is in regards to the Grass Cache Fix -- When reading the mod page for said mod it states having to do A LOT of different stuff in order to get that mod to work properly. Are the advanced steps in that mod necessary or am I simply installing the Grass Cache Fix and installing it into MO2?

You shouldn't need to consider that mods instructions, as we take care of it all in our guide instructions with minimal effort on the user side. The grass cache files are installed with the Step Content Resolution Patch. Nothing needs to be done but follow the instruction as described in the guide: Install the mods, and run DynDOLOD.

Only if you go a custom route will you need to consider the process of creating your custom grass cache files.