Need to reset password every single time

aufisch

Question

Every single time I want to log into these forums I have to reset my password. At first I thought that my goldfish-brain just couldn't remember it. But then I even wrote it down and I am now sure that I had to reset my password at least three times in the last two days, even though I am absolutely positive that I had my password correctly. I can't see anything that needs to be set to "trusted" in noScript (stepmodification.org is set to trusted).

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

Edit: I am on Firefox 90.0.2

8 answers to this question

What's the error message?

Can you try clearing your browser cached (different methods for some all browsers). In FF, you want to clear all history (cookies & browser history, not forms), then go to show all history and "forget about this site" when right clicking on our URL

Can you try logging in with Chrome, IE, Edge, something else to test if it's browser related?

Can you try with/without VPN?

Could be invalid-cookie related ... what is the link you use to reach the forums? Is it direct or a redirect?

Thanks for the answer.

- I came here via the link on the DynDOLOD SSE Nexus website.

After having logged in successfully through Edge, I cleared my Cache completely in Firefox, but that didn't help. However I found the culprit. It is really trivial too. The login asks you for either the email adress or the screen-name. I noticed that only when I logged in through Edge, as it has alwas been pre-filled in Firefox. For some reason the login is always rejected if I use the email adress. It works however if I use my screen-name. No idea why.

53 minutes ago, aufisch said:

Thanks for the answer.

- I came here via the link on the DynDOLOD SSE Nexus website.

After having logged in successfully through Edge, I cleared my Cache completely in Firefox, but that didn't help. However I found the culprit. It is really trivial too. The login asks you for either the email adress or the screen-name. I noticed that only when I logged in through Edge, as it has alwas been pre-filled in Firefox. For some reason the login is always rejected if I use the email adress. It works however if I use my screen-name. No idea why.

Glad you found it. You should be able to right click the form field in FF and ask it to be 'cleared'. Otherwise, you can erase all 'forms' history in FF.

I will look into why your member name works but not your email. Email should be as good or better (unless it doesn't match the registration email).

Thanks for your help. The mail adress was definitively the correct one. I checked that the first time round.

I just tried it again, this time filling in the email adress completely anew (not just choosing the pre-stored one) and yes, it still rejects my mail adress. Tried it as well with Edge, and there it is the same: screen-name works, email not.

48 minutes ago, z929669 said:

We didn't have "display name or email address" but only "display name" as the login. I 'fixed' it this way.

Ah... I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it! The developers of the forum software have not made it easy to track down settings.