[ CONTEST ] New STEP Logo - z929669

z929669

Call for Graphic Artists: Questions or comments? Post here!

New STEP Banner and logo design

We are accepting proposals for a new STEP-brand design to serve in the coming age. The STEP team has had several ideas and implementations (e.g., see the following ... yes, I drew it myself :P); however, we think that there are likely talented individuals in the community with fresh ideas and superior graphic artistry.

Posted Image Posted Image

We will accept submissions as attachments on this thread through April 30th, and we will pick a winner by May 10th. The winner will be featured on the Nexus site and permanently acknowledged in the STEP Guide credits ... not to mention the iconic status inherently granted to the creator of the STEP brand.

Guidelines

We require a banner that clearly, yet creatively identifies STEP as well as an iconic logo for wider usage. Key criteria are:

• Simple design (especially for the logo)
  • Good scaling from small to large formats without appreciable loss of meaning or quality
  • Banner dimensions should be between a ratio of 1:4 and 1:5
  • Logo dimensions should be close to 1:1 (but this is a relaxed requirement)
  • Use any colors, but it should look good in contrast to STEP Guide, Forums and Nexus.
Submission Format

• PNG format only for initial submission (not the source files ... yet)
  • Package into a 7z archive
  • Create a post with the text "SUBMISSION" and attach the file to your post
Once the winner is chosen, he/she will need to supply us with Photoshop or Gimp source files via DropBox or email (depending on size).
New Forum Icons

We are also accepting suggestions and proposals for a new forum icon set.  The previous icons were recently replaced, but we know they can be much better.  As above, we'd like a simple design that matches the forum skin. 

Please do not post anything but submissions to this thread

• 3 weeks later...

Originals are vector graphics created in Illustrator and therefore they can be scaled to whatever size you need.  However, I can also save them in Photoshop or Gimp if that is preferred.  The designs can be modified or recolored as needed.  The graph-paper background shown in the sample images is also available and can be modified or recolored as needed.

STEP Logo Submission by kryptopyr.zip

• 1 month later...

Is this contest really over? I see there aore only two submissions, but I just saw this... thought it would be fun to throw mine in the hat...

Go for it. We decided to extend it due to the lack of submissions but I guess we forgot to actually update the post. I would but I'm on my phone.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took some screenshots.  at some of the first locations under vanilla ultra vs step baseline /w skyrealism. I'm considering many different things, maybe putting a sawtooth step border seperating the sides, or more text. But I kind of like the simple approach.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I took some screenshots.  at some of the first locations under vanilla ultra vs step baseline /w skyrealism. I'm considering many different things, maybe putting a sawtooth step border seperating the sides, or more text. But I kind of like the simple approach.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love this idea for the new banner. However just two things:

• The font would look better if it was something different. Maybe something more celtic/old worldly.
  • The screens should be of higher quality. They look a bit blurred so if they were taken on a low resolution. I would suggest nothing lower than 1600x900 on video resolution when capturing screens for something like this.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I want to try, so there's mine! If you have any advice i'm here..

Dropbox Folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iu89zbdoju013t7/5cMjTJplE9

(the background image for the nexus one, is an image uploaded on STEP nexus page by elenear)

Archived