Overwrite versus Overwritten

pokkla

Question

What am I missing?  The paragraph below is from the STEP guide.  However, it seems backward.  Or at least reversed from the pop-up help boxes in MO2.  Or, I'm messed up.  I'm just looking to see which mod rules.

In the left pane, when I hover over a green "+", it says "overwrites files".  When hovering over a red "-", it says "files overwritten".  Most often, red is a loser and that is what the help tips indicate.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Conflict Highlighting

Along with the icons in the flag column showing conflicts, there is also a colour-highlighting applied to mods that are either 'winning' or 'losing' a conflict with the selected mod. ie. mods that have files that are not loaded into the game are shown as green, and those that replace the selected mod's files are shown as red.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

2 answers to this question

Look at this way with the STEP 2.10 Extended guide installed.

Embers HD has a green + icon indicating it overwrites assets in other mods. Select Embers HD in the left pane and you'll see Static Mesh Improvement Mod is highlighted in green indicating that its assets are overwritten.

Static Mesh Improvement Mod has a red - and a green + icon. Ignoring the green + for the moment, select Static Mesh Improvement Mod in the left pane and you'll see Skyrim Realistic Overhaul, several aMidianBorn mods, and Embers HD are highlighted red indicating these mods overwrite assets in Static Mesh Improvement Mod.

This means a green + indicates the mod overwrites assets in another but a green highlight indicates the assets are overwritten, and a red - icon indicates the assets are ovewritten but a red highlight color indicates the mod overwrites assets in another mod. I could argue that the highlight colors are backwards (or at least confusing), but I think this color scheme is entrenched at this point.