Admins Everywhere!

TechAngel85

I usually just look at the area where the names of registered users logged in are provided vs. looking at a count of these users. I hope the site will be able to withstand the BW increases when we are close to finishing 2.2.1.

At the moment we're using 68/150 GB of bandwidth for this month.  In all of December we used 70GB.  This is very rough, 3AM math, but at the current rate I'd estimate we top 85GB at least for the whole month given current rates, which leaves an "extra" 65GB to deal with the increase in traffic.  According to Firebug the guide "costs" ~900K per hit with an empty cache and ~300K otherwise.  If we take a rough average of 600K per hit that means we can handle an additional 100,000 or so hits to the guide this month. 

Mind you, this doesn't include people clicking through to the mod pages or downloading the BCFs, much less signing up for the forums to ask questions and what-have-you.  We'll definitely have to keep an eye on the bandwidth meter as we roll out v2.2.1.

I'm curious where you guys are hosting the forum and wiki. My web host basically has no bandwidth limit as long as it's considered "normal operation":

How much disk space and bandwidth will my plan include?

There are no set limits on the disk space or data transfer (bandwidth) that we provide in our hosting plans. We want you to have the resources you need to build a great online presence, and 99.95% of all customers will have more than enough disk space and bandwidth to meet their needs.That being said, we do require all customers to be fully compliant with our Terms of Service and utilize disk space and bandwidth in the normal operation of a personal or small business website. While it is rare, we may need to put constraints on accounts that are using resources beyond what would be expected in the normal operation of a personal or small business website.

How do you determine "normal" operation?

We regularly run customer bandwidth and disk space utilization through a series of statistical analyses and use the results of these studies to define normal. Although the actual results of these analyses vary from month to month, one thing remains constant: 99.95% of our customers fall into "normal" range. Typically, customers who fall outside the normal range are using their accounts for file storage or sharing rather than hosting.If you have a question about whether your website will fall into the normal range, feel free to contact our team. We'll be happy to talk about your specific needs before you purchase your hosting plan.

What happens if I exceed "normal" usage?

If we have concerns about your account's bandwidth or disk space utilization, you will receive an email asking you to reduce usage. Generally, we provide customers with a minimum of 48 hours to make adjustments before taking the account offline.Again, the most common situations involve customers who use their accounts for storage of files—particularly multimedia files—that are not linked off of their websites. It is very rare for a customer who is managing a personal or small business website to exceed normal usage.

I talked to a Rep and they said the accounts are unlimited bandwidth and even if we reached 200GB for several months in a row there shouldn't be an issue as long as we're not hosting media files for download/steaming. I know we just switched servers but it's just a thought if we start having bandwidth issues.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:ermm:

:unsure:

I'll never peek into the admin's lounge window again.

:yucky:

You should see all the Admin-only threads we have piled up in the back room :D

I'm curious where you guys are hosting the forum and wiki. My web host basically has no bandwidth limit as long as it's considered "normal operation":

I talked to a Rep and they said the accounts are unlimited bandwidth and even if we reached 200GB for several months in a row there shouldn't be an issue as long as we're not hosting media files for download/steaming. I know we just switched servers but it's just a thought if we start having bandwidth issues.

That's pretty interesting, we're currently using TSOHost if I'm not mistaken.  I assume falling outside of "normal" would be if you were using the site as a file server or something like that.  Those prices aren't bad and the 100% wind energy thing is a nice bonus I can think about while driving to work :P  Z's the one paying the bills and Stopping would have a lot more knowledge on all that, so I defer to them.

So it was retribution! You moved the 2.2.1 thread to somewhere I couldn't get in to! It's a conspiracy!!!! :@

That's pretty interesting, we're currently using TSOHost if I'm not mistaken.  I assume falling outside of "normal" would be if you were using the site as a file server or something like that.  Those prices aren't bad and the 100% wind energy thing is a nice bonus I can think about while driving to work :P  Z's the one paying the bills and Stopping would have a lot more knowledge on all that, so I defer to them.
Our hosting is fine for the time being. We will eventually release information about this and if/when it changes. Just have not gotten there yet.

So it was retribution! You moved the 2.2.1 thread to somewhere I couldn't get in to! It's a conspiracy!!!! :@
All fixed now ... my bad ... again

Thanks for using that icon, I just cleaned it up to get rid of the white edges and re-uploaded it.  Let me know (in the Features and Requests forum) if you come across any others.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was Farlo's minions.
Obviously, Z is one of my minions :dance:

Thanks for using that icon, I just cleaned it up to get rid of the white edges and re-uploaded it.  Let me know (in the Features and Requests forum) if you come across any others.

White edges still present :@ I am disappoint!

White edges still present :@ I am disappoint!
Ctrl+F5, I'll go rebuild the cache right now.

How about some new smiley faces? I like a lot of the ones Nexus has.

That depends on the licensing, unless they're public domain, GNU, or CC then we can't use them.  If you can find the publisher/author of them and link to their copyright terms then I'll see about adding them.