various issues w/ MO2 and SSE (mostly wrye bash)

noctred

Question

Modding SSE w/ MO2 has basically been a hot mess for me.

LOOT sort of works. I usually have to run it at least three times before it finally loads its masterlist properly and sorts my plugins without errors.

FNIS doesn't work. It consistently tries to look for its files in Steam's SSE directory rather than properly utilizing the MO2 VFS and, as a result, constantly throws error 76 (could not find a part of the path ...). Thankfully I only have a few animation mods so I can copy those over to my Steam install and run FNIS there, then copy the built files back. Fine. No big deal. Yes, the FNIS mod is enabled.

Latest issue - Wrye Bash crashes on startup with - 

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 87, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name bash

Things I have tried - 

1. Completely reinstalled both MO2 and Wrye Bash. Multiple times.
2. Ran MO2 in portable and instance mode.
3. Wiped and regenerated from scratch any and all ini's and other configuration files related to MO or Wrye Bash in AppData.
4. Installed MO2/Wrye Bash in different directories and on different hard drives.
5. Disabled UAC.
6. Ran one or the other, or both, as administrator.
7. Killed a majority of non-essential running processes - Steam, Geforce Experience, AV, firewalls, VPN clients, virtual drives, mouse/keyboard software, and so on and so forth. All stopped, along with their helper processes where applicable.
8. Verified system requirements - VC++ redist's, .NET framework, etc.
9. Googled that error and tried everybody else's fixes.

The worst thing is that I was able to run Wrye Bash through MO2 without problems *literally* just earlier today. Now, all of a sudden, WB crashes every time with the above ImportError logged. I've changed nothing from a system perspective between now and then. The only changes made (listed above) were made as a response to the sudden crashes.

Really not sure what's going on or what else I can even attempt as a fix. I'm on Win10 Pro.
Edited by noctred

3 answers to this question

FYI, for anybody who might be running into the same issue with Wrye Bash and MO2, I seem to have found a fix.

Seems that Wrye Bash dies on load if any mod in your load order contains a 'Docs' folder and continues to die even if that mod is removed from your load order. To fix, I had to create a dummy mod with contents mimicing an exported bashed patch - 

directory/filename              size

---------------------------------------

Bashed Patch, 0.esp             0

Docs/Bashed Patch, 0.html       0

Docs/Bashed Patch, 0.txt        0

As soon as I created and loaded this mod, I was able to open Wrye Bash from within MO2 without errors or crashes. It also doesn't seem like you need to keep this dummy mod - after the first successful run, I was able to delete that mod and Wrye Bash still opens without error.

Good to know, but I have a question. Did you ever run Wrye outside of MO? I have and the folder and files were created in the vanilla directory. I then remove the bashed patch ESP to its own mod in MO. I never really had a problem running Wrye from MO.

Good to know, but I have a question. Did you ever run Wrye outside of MO? I have and the folder and files were created in the vanilla directory. I then remove the bashed patch ESP to its own mod in MO. I never really had a problem running Wrye from MO.

Depends on what you mean by "run". I did open WB outside of MMO just to make sure it wasn't a fundamental issue with the Wrye Bash installation itself which was giving me issues. I never tried to generate a bashed patch that way though.

Regardless, it did make an empty bashed patch .esp in my vanilla Skyrim SE directory whenever I opened it outside of MO, but not the Docs folder. Just the esp.