SRLE Extended: LotD Performance

This post in the SRLE Extended: Legacy of the Dragonborn thread made me curious about LotD performance:

not sure if this is the right place to mention this but I do use a GTX 1070 (the ASUS 80G version) and can report that with SRLEx LOTD installed exactly as per the guide, my Skyrim constantly gets 35-40 fps @ 1440x3440 around Whiterun (below 20 fps with the previous GTX 780), with max VRAM consumption of 6GB-ish and max temp of 78C so for a single gameplay session (around 3 hrs). So yes Darth a 1070 would be a good choice if you're still considering a new GPU ..

Instead of clogging that thread with performance questions, thought I'd start a new one. What performance are others seeing with LotD with their rigs? What cards work well at 1080p, 1440, or 4k? For people looking to buy a new card for a 1080p display (i.e., me), would an RX 480 or GTX 1060 work? Or should I just pony up for a 1070?

Edited by dekjo

This post in the SRLE Extended: Legacy of the Dragonborn thread made me curious about LotD performance:

Instead of clogging that thread with performance questions, thought I'd start a new one. What performance are others seeing with LotD with their rigs? What cards work well at 1080p, 1440, or 4k? For people looking to buy a new card for a 1080p display (i.e., me), would an RX 480 or GTX 1060 work? Or should I just pony up for a 1070?

With enhanced landscapes, I hang in the 40s in some areas at 1080 which is unacceptable, I ditched it an I am trying to find a new solution.

I think I am going to see if I can wedge Skyrim Landscape Overhaul. If you do try it out, report any oddities and I'll passively fix them with my bugfix.

Never mind, sorry - misread. Though you were saying you had a 1080 and were getting 40. Was assuming you must be on a 4k monitor. :)

If you get 40 with a 980ti on a 1080 display, that means I probably should probably go for a 1070. That helps a lot, thanks!

i get mostly 60 fps on my 980ti at 1080p unless i am walking near honeybrew meadary there have been a few spots i noticed in the Pale and the Rift or the stormcloaks and imperial are having a big fight with each other. but for the most part it's 60.

If i was getting a new GPU Personally i would go for the 1070 over the 1060.

Edited by Darth_mathias

Thanks, good to know. Yeah, I'll lean that way. Esp since that'll probably keep pace if/when I finally upgrade to a 1440 or 4k display.

I'll probably still finish the guide and test it with my current card first just for ***** and giggles. But I'll be surprised if it even plays. :)

980ti / 1440p win10 and I get 30's outside Whiterun, 40's walking to Riverwood, and near Riverwood it drops to teens/20s  :(    I'm up for some recommendations.   Thanks. 

well starts win10 you won't be able to get more the 4gb and SRLE Extended Performance is LOTD taxing even us at the moment and we're on win 7 1080p with our GTX 980ti try dropping enhanced landscapes

See I tried 1080p and I didn't see much of a difference.   I checked Enhanced Landscapes last night and I didn't see it in my list.   Does it appear under a different name in MO?   I do have Vivid Landscapes. 

As for Windows 10, is it worth it to dual boot to Win7 just to play SRLE?  Will you see that much of a performance gain?   

Edited by rolltide78

I finished my install of SRLE LOTD this week and booted it up with my old card - a 2GB GTX 670. It did load and I was able to start a game, and wondered around the Dragonborn Gallery a bit. But of course it didn't work for long. Once outside and doing things around Solitude, it'd just freeze up and crash, as I expected it would. :)

I've since upgraded to an EVGA 1070 card and it is certainly a much better experience, as anyone would expect. Ran Skyrim Performance Monitor for about 30 min and ran around Solitute and then Falkreath. Tended to get mid 50s to 60 FPS most of the time.

As DarkladyLexy has mentioned in the main/pinned thread, there's a drop in FPS around Falkreath - for me it was getting as low as 34 or so. But the biggest drop occurred in combat. Had a fight with me and a neutral NPC against a pack of wolves (four or five in all) and with all the action and spells going on, dipped down as low as 13 FPS. But even in the fight, FPS was mostly in the 30s. Just had some spikes down once or twice.

Edited by dekjo

I finished my install of SRLE LOTD this week and booted it up with my old card - a 2GB GTX 670. It did load and I was able to start a game, and wondered around the Dragonborn Gallery a bit. But of course it didn't work for long. Once outside and doing things around Solitude, it'd just freeze up and crash, as I expected it would. :)

I've since upgraded to an EVGA 1070 card and it is certainly a much better experience, as anyone would expect. Ran Skyrim Performance Monitor for about 30 min and ran around Solitute and then Falkreath. Tended to get mid 50s to 60 FPS most of the time.

As DarkladyLexy has mentioned in the main/pinned thread, there's a drop in FPS around Falkreath - for me it was getting as low as 34 or so. But the biggest drop occurred in combat. Had a fight with me and a neutral NPC against a pack of wolves (four or five in all) and with all the action and spells going on, dipped down as low as 13 FPS. But even in the fight, FPS was mostly in the 30s. Just had some spikes down once or twice.

I have discovered that if your run Vsync through your Driver and not the ENB fps was improved for us it went from 30fps in falkreath to around 50. I recommend everyone try that to see if it helps.