Console Commands Cause GPU to run at 99%

MKeener

Question

Alright, I'm sure I'm being a total noob now and am asking too many questions but I am truly at a loss on this one. My game is stable, 60 fps most of the time. Normally console commands have been fine, but recently I'm finding that if I so much as have the console command menu open for long enough (20 sec - I don't even need to enter anything), my GPU usage skyrockets to from about 45% to 99%-100%. Not only does my fps drop to about 10-14 fps but if I don't shut my game down soon enough, I actually loose the output to my monitor! AKA, GPU was overloaded and terminated (and I'm running a GTX 980 Ti for crying out loud). Then all I can do is cut the computer's power supply to restart the system (which I really don't enjoy doing).... 

How can I find out why the console commands are suddenly capsizing my GPU? All I want to do is check to make sure the new texture mods I added are actually showing up, but if I can't use console commands, how can I test that my game isn't "buggy"?

14 answers to this question

Also I'm unable to run the game without the ENB enabled anymore. Used to be able to enable or disable it as I liked to avoid long load times for testing things. Now just crashes as soon as I load a game unless ENB is on.

I'd love to try this but where on earth is the brute force mod hotkey option located (can't seem to google an answer)? In an ini file? In game settings menu? 

I've just un & reinstalled my entire skyrim & redid the entire mod guide.... Did nothing, still perfectly stable with ENB and CTD city without it. 

I'm honestly like 200+ hours into this and ready to walk off a building :/

Edited by MKeener

I see. Only thing is, I run my ENBs using the ENB_Manager.jar. So whenever I disable an enb, the entire enb folder gets automatically removed from my skyrim folder as if it was never there. So modifying the enblocal.ini file shouldn't impact my game when enb is disabled because it's not even there. Oddly enough, replacing the enb make the game stop CTDs when I load up. I'm running off of perfectly vanilla save file and my papyrus logs seem random for every CTD. Oddly when I re-enable the enb with the manager, the game starts to function again. Its almost as if one or multiple of my mods are dependent on the enb being there, but I have no idea how to find out if that is the case or not.

I'm also beginning to wonder if constantly installing and uninstalling mods can add scripts to save files loaded but but never saved on while modded? Because many papyrus logs are say things like: such and such " cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property" - mind you I haven't really taught myself how to properly read papyrus file yet so idk if that's a mod confliction or something like that. Damn I wish there was a real crash log for skyrim -.- 

Sigh, I've been trying to mod skyrim (4th attempt) for over a year now and yet have I to actually "played" the game.

Edited by MKeener

Alright screw it, I'm at the conclusion that I can no longer run my games with all of its mods without ENBoost enabled. I thought maybe it was due to the fact that ENBoost helps enable the game surpass the 3.1gb RAM cap skyrim is famous for. However, after a running Memory Block Logs without ENB, turns out my first block was getting well over over 300 (significantly above the 256 limit). That tells me that the updated SKSE is in fact taking care of this now so that is not what is making my system reliant on ENB. But regardless, system crashes without it and even if I can load a game without ENB, I generally have only about 20s before a CTD to behold a world of missing textures. Basically I "think" ENBoost is magically doing something that Boosts my Skyrim past a threshold it would not normally be able to surpass without it. Now I don't have a problem playing with ENB enabled, in fact I much prefer it..... But

Good news though! I finally discovered why my ENB was causing console commands to attack my graphics card. I misunderstood the installation instructions for Vividian ENB. I was under the impression that in order to enable the ENB I both had to activated it via the ENB Manager and check off the downloaded/installed file on Mod Manager. Turns out that downloaded file was actually a replica file containing almost exactly the same things stored in ENB Manager, save a few things here and there that contradicted one another. The combination of both of them initiated an infinite loop cycle as soon as the console command was opened, but turns out that if I just don't use the downloaded file, the ENB works perfectly fine and no console command issues! I stumbled across the problem when I activated a different ENB and it was working fine. Funny way to arrive at a solution but eh I'm happy. Goes to show that any small little thing (even the things you think you are doing perfectly correct) could cause a system malfunction. 

Edited by MKeener

Thanks this link is awesome! Lol how do you guys know all this anyway!? Now that I think about it, I've been testing this using a "player.placeatme 0008040bc" code, and generally the fps would plunder right about when I spawned alduin so it could have been the b in the code causing my issues! Now I'd love to try this out but unfortunately I've got a whole new problem.... I think that whatever was happening before fried my gpu... Literally, I can't seem to get my computer to stay in game longer then about 1 minute before my screen goes black and my audio shuts down. Computer stays on oddly. Had to hard reset the computer about 20 times :/ Luckily, its a brand new gpu and I'm still under warantee, so I've got a fresh new 980Ti on the way. Lord I pray I have no more troubles like this once it arrives. I was just about done modding the damn game too    

Yep that's the one. I usually change that so it's pointing to a key like 'P' which you're also very unlikely to hit by mistake.

And with your computer issues, I'd also double check your power supply. if it's dropping the 12v rail or there's a bum capacitor in it, it'll do the same thing you're describing.

Edited by Nozzer66

Alright so new GPU is in and installed and works like a charm now! Changed the Brute Force to F12 and skyrim doesn't crash any longer when I use console commands so success I'm happy! She still crashes when I disable ENB, but I can live with that lol