iRadialBlurLevel=1 causes CTD

DocHammoc

Question

Got about a third through install of SRLE and started getting CTD's imagine that.  I eventually narrowed down the problem to the ini setting

iRadialBlurLevel=1 in SkyrimPrefs

Googling this and reading on STEP I found this setting to be suspect.  Supposedly it belongs in skyrim.ini and/or anything but iRadialBlurLevel=0 causes CTD or something like that.

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7990-skyrimprefs-ini-guide/

I for one use IniTweaks in mod organizer (which who knows .. could be buggy?).  If you use IniTweaks you do not specify which ini file .. it just injects the setting into the game like magic!

I tested taking out the IniTweak and putting iRadialBlurLevel=1 directly in SkyrimPrefs.  It did not crash.  Moving iRadialBlurLevel=1 to Skyrim.ini did cause a CTD.  iRadialBlurLevel=0 did not cause CTD.  The default iRadialBlurLevel=2 in Skyrim.ini did cuase a CTD .. where in SkyrimPrefs it does not.

This leads me to believe that it may really be doing nothing in SkyrimPrefs.  The IniTweak is the same as putting the setting in the proper file Skyrim.ini.  But iRadialBlurLevel=1 causes CTD in this file?!

Please someone with some knowledge of this respond. 

BTW:  My CTD is always in the same spot.  After starting a new game and after character is created you are led to the block.  After the dragon comes and saves you will be free to roam the CTD happens.  You can reproduce by "Continue" the game from main menu so you don't have to watch entire opening sequence (I have every frame memorized).

Edited by DocHammoc

Seems like the SRLE should be changed then as it clearly states ...

Radial Blur Tweak

This tweak prevents errors when certain imagespace modifiers are used.

[imagespace]

iRadialBlurLevel=1

Shameless plugin here I would recommened using spINI by DoubleYou https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69787/? and SRLE Extended https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Darth_mathias/SRLE_Extended#Mod_Installation to set your INI files for your SRLE Profile.

Edited by Darth_mathias

Shameless plugin here I would recommened using spINI by DoubleYou https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69787/? and SRLE Extended https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Darth_mathias/SRLE_Extended#Mod_Installation to set your INI files for your SRLE Profile.

I'm going to disagree, if only because recent troubleshooting threads point to SpINI causing lighting issues.

I would love to be proven wrong through. P.S. That radial blur tweak actually came from Darth and Manga both recommending it, sounds like it's more placebo based on other threads.

It is placebo to the original game. I would not know if ENB doesn't somehow read the INI file and change something because of it. Would be weird, but possible I suppose.

I'm altogether uncertain which change may have introduced that bug, and INI tweaks are difficult to track down sometimes (e.g. disabling screen blood causing world map CTD's). But i do mess with lighting in somewhat a big way. Gotta play whacamole to figure out what could be causing that issue.

I'm going to disagree, if only because recent troubleshooting threads point to SpINI causing lighting issues.

I would love to be proven wrong through. P.S. That radial blur tweak actually came from Darth and Manga both recommending it, sounds like it's more placebo based on other threads.

Look at it from another angle - SpINI helped lets say 100 people and 1 have reported issues which are allegedly tied to the program, to me this a damn good statistic. It definitely helped me get ~10 FPS back... I can spend time to fix mods but i dont have patience to fiddle with ini settings, especially considering all the obsolete/garbage ones. This is a daunting task and sure appreciate DoubleYuo's efforts

I have recently removed the radial tweak from extended. I have not notice lighting issue with spINI but then again I haven't been looking for it either.

DoubleYou would you like me to upload my INI files to aid your research into the lighting issues spINI seems to be having?

Edit: I am now in agreement with Neo spINI has some issue that need sorting.

I have now seen the lighting issue discribed in the other thread and it is indeed caused by spINI. this is the best place to see it

https://www.mediafire.com/view/cx3xqtlnoaq1lt4/enb%202016_04_13%2015_32_57_99.bmp#

just start at the lght then walk backwards until you Watch the smoke flicker someting rotten.

Edited by Darth_mathias

Look at it from another angle - SpINI helped lets say 100 people and 1 have reported issues which are allegedly tied to the program, to me this a damn good statistic. It definitely helped me get ~10 FPS back... I can spend time to fix mods but i dont have patience to fiddle with ini settings, especially considering all the obsolete/garbage ones. This is a daunting task and sure appreciate DoubleYuo's efforts

I am not saying SpINI is not a great concept, idea, or tool. Nor am I saying i do not appreciate his efforts in making it. I am simply saying more work needs to be done before I personally can recommend it.

Please dont take it the wrong way, my agenda is not to offend you or get you upset, but you need to take into account your reputation - if average user on these forums sees that neovalen says "i do not recommend this mod" he or she might immediately put a taboo on the tool. To give you another perspective, imagine sheson commenting on his forums that he does not recommend SRLE because someone reported a CTD, that wouldnt be fair to you right?

Also, most of the time lighting issues are caused by mods and ini tweaks might simply amplify them and make them more apparent. I will test spini against vanilla game when i get a chance and will report the results before jumping to conclusions

One more point, personally i am very picky about lighting issues and i haven't noticed anything out of the expected norm when running spini, so even if there are in fact some issues, they are not enough to trump the benefits you get from the tool

I believe this has already been discussed in detail on other threads, but in just in case - i couldn't find any lighting issues caused by spini tool, not in vanilla, and not in full ~500 mod order game. There are some artifacts but they are 1. Minor and 2. Caused by mods and not ini tweaks

P.S. wont be posting here any longer on this topic

Edited by sm0kem