Missing main menu options after only Step 1 of the guide

ceran

Question

I did all the INI tweaks and graphics tweaks, wanted to benchmark the game as suggested by the guide before I start Step 2 and install any mods 

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9

I launch the game via Mod Organizer but the main menu options are replaced by square characters, my mouse is gone, there's no sound. It's not crashed since I can alt-tab back and forth.

If i revert to the Default profile with nothing changed, everything is fine. So its probably one of the INI tweaks but i dont know which one. I tried enabling the intro logo again but that's not it 

here is a picture (sorry i had to use my phone, prntscrn wouldnt work)

kDKJzHE.jpg

4 answers to this question

Since your default profile is working fine, you might copy the ini files from the default profile into your STEP profile to see if this fixes it. You can find these files in the ModOrganizer/profiles/[profile] folder (where [profile] is the name of your profile). I can't think of any of the tweaks in this section that could cause this problem.

Once you get back to a working profile, try each section one at a time (Archive, Camera, Combat, etc.) and test after each section to see if you can figure out which setting is causing the issue.

Since your default profile is working fine, you might copy the ini files from the default profile into your STEP profile to see if this fixes it. You can find these files in the ModOrganizer/profiles/[profile] folder (where [profile] is the name of your profile). I can't think of any of the tweaks in this section that could cause this problem.

Once you get back to a working profile, try each section one at a time (Archive, Camera, Combat, etc.) and test after each section to see if you can figure out which setting is causing the issue.

okay the menu works now 

i think that the mistake I made was, because i didnt want to lose the default profile, i went to the profile drop-down -> manage -> create and created a new profile - instead of cloning the Default profile and renaming it 

wish me luck for the rest :)