dealing with Query Info

Tomack13

Question

I understand that once a mod is placed into the MO download file it shows up in the download column on the bottom right side of the MO screen.  On some of the mods a "Information missing" message appears.  Then when right clicking to Query info a list appears where one is supposed to "select the correct one.  Here is where I am lost.  Frequently there are several to choose from, as many as 30.  None of the numbers in the description match the numbers on the download file or any of the descriptions on the site.  My question is how does one choose the correct file or should the name of the mod be  changed and how to do this correctly?

11 answers to this question

When MO queries a file, it does so by comparing the Nexus ID number and the text of the "name" in the file name.

If MO asks you for the Nexus ID number, it will be the same number as in the url to the Nexus site.

If MO has the Nexus ID number, but there are a lot of files on the page, sometimes it won't know which one to choose. To try and make MO pick intelligently, rename the file so that the text matches the filename (still retain the Nexus ID and version # in the name, though).

Yes I understand about having the correct name but none of the selections in the Query match what is on the mod file.  Where and how do you make the name change?  Do you ignore the query at this point and just install the mod and then make the name changes after you install the mod?

I just want to totally understand this whole thing.  So what do I do about the warning about missing information.  It still wants me to re-retrieve the information.  This I do not understand.  The information on the file is exactly as it reads on the file I just installed.

Is this when I rename the  mod that I have just downloaded?

Edited by Tomack13

The missing information is nothing in the file itself; the missing information is metadata that MO creates based on recognizing the specific file on Nexus. This metadata is only for the purposes of MO - to be able to link you to the Nexus webpage, or tell if the version of the mod is out of date. It will have no effect on how the file behaves in the game whatsoever.

The information collected for the metadata in "Query information" (Nexus ID and version #) can always be inputted after installation by right clicking the mod and selecting Information....

That being said, I believe MO initially creates the metadata from the filename of the archive being downloaded.

Let's take an example of one STEP mod, Skyrim Redesigned (STEP wiki page here).

STEP instructions ask you to do a few things with the file to get it working right in MO, but the part we are concerned with is the filename. This is the filename it recommends: Skyrim Redesigned-8954-1-0.7z

• "Skyrim Redesigned" is the title of the mod. It is important not to have numbers at the end of the title (before the Nexus ID) or it will confuse MO. I think the title is compared against the Nexus mod title if the filenames don't line up 100%.

• "8954" is the Nexus ID of this mod. You can always tell the Nexus ID by seeing what the numbers in the main Nexus page url are. For example, with Skyrim Redesigned, the url is: 
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8954/?

Therefore, the Nexus ID is 8954. If MO has the Nexus ID, you are halfway home.

• "1-0" means 1.0. In this system dots are changed to dashes. This is the version number of the file. With the Nexus ID and version number, MO can read the Nexus page and compare the version number in MO with what the author has set on Nexus as the Latest Version of the file, and alert you if the file needs updating. To do this, right click on a mod, go to All Mods --> Check all for update.

Note that these three pieces of information (title, Nexus ID and version) need to be in that order, and separated by dashes. For example, Skyrim Redesigned-8954-1-0.7z.

When I manually download files, I always store a copy in the MO downloads folder. That way I can install and uninstall it, or even remove it, and not worry about having to download it again. I can search for it in the downloads tab as well. This works particularly well if you change the filename so that MO creates the right metadata. That way, you only have to mess about once (assuming the file doesn't get updated!).

• Download the file manually.
  • Edit filename of archive.
  • Open "[...]\Mod Organizer\Downloads" folder (located wherever MO is).
  • Drag the re-named archive into the MO Downloads folder.
  • Open MO, go to downloads, you should see it

Anyway, if you still have some questions, please reply with a link to the file you are downloading, and let us know the process by which you are downloading it.

Cheers.

Edited by Nebulous112

As Nebulous said if you're having trouble with query info you can always go in and edit it in the left pane or by right clicking the mod going to information and clicking the Nexus Info tab and inputting the ID manually and checking the version number on the archive and inputting that there too.